Become a Patron!

Painful exhales

vaporpunx23

Member For 5 Years
Hey has anyone experienced painful exhales. Ima mouth inhaler. I keep getting a really irritating exhale that ends in a coughing fit. It don't understand it I've dropped my nic level from 18 to 12 but it hasn't helped much. Has anyone else gone through this. Thanks

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Hey has anyone experienced painful exhales. Ima mouth inhaler. I keep getting a really irritating exhale that ends in a coughing fit. It don't understand it I've dropped my nic level from 18 to 12 but it hasn't helped much. Has anyone else gone through this. Thanks

For me There is usually 1 of 2 reasons that cause me to cough. The first is if there is too much VG in my liquid (for others its PG). The second is if I am using an atomizer with a airhole that can easily be misaligned or accidentally closed off.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It could be that your subconsciously pulling into your lungs trying to compensate for the lesser dose of nic.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah for me it was high PG that made me cough, but frankly there are some flavors that I adore but can't use because they do cause me to cough on exhale.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you get irritation in the back of your throat, try more VG and less nic. If it is something else, you may want to check for allergies to VG or PG.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tend to go into coughing fits when a liquid is high in vg. Does it stop me? Nope i just keep trucking a long lol. Try lowering your nicotine level. I couldn't vape 12mg for long it was killing me

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's rough plus it really ruins the flavor. I do 3-6 and I'm happy

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
High VG gives me coughing fits, even though I love it! For others it's high PG. Trial and error is the only way to figure it out.

Bryan92081

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I cough just THINKING of 12mg juice.
No kidding. I'm down to 2mg(just 1 of the many benefits of diy). When I was on store bought juice my nic level depended on the juice. A really good pear juice that i can recall, was great at 3mg but was caustic at 6mg, Some of the flavors I use like pineapple, are very harsh at higher percentages also.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Im at 3 and my brother brought some 6 in his atlantis. I took half a hit and almost coughed...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can't tolerate anything higher than 25 VG. Even for too long, I can't go there, so I make mine 80/20. Plus, I like the TH, anyway. I'm at roughly 11 or 12mg. This is tank, not drippers.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just recently now I know this sounds insane but have only been dripping 90% of the time 10% 50/50 with an atty and
I have a horrid sore throat... I have no idea why haven't switched Nic or anything. Only thing I can come up with is I have moved from Texas to Illinois been here 10 days I do not vape outside but maybe a humidity thingy? first time its happened in 18 months and its from vaping

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just recently now I know this sounds insane but have only been dripping 90% of the time 10% 50/50 with an atty and
I have a horrid sore throat... I have no idea why haven't switched Nic or anything. Only thing I can come up with is I have moved from Texas to Illinois been here 10 days I do not vape outside but maybe a humidity thingy? first time its happened in 18 months and its from vaping

Maybe it's dryer there (inside with the heat on?)? Do you do lung hits with that 50/50 mix?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Our humidity is generally lower in the north, than the south.

My wife is from Texas, so she could attest to that.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe it's dryer there (inside with the heat on?)? Do you do lung hits with that 50/50 mix?
Yiou mean low ohm RDA dripping 50/50. No
I only use 50/50 when I am using an arty with a coil or build of .8 - 1.5
Now @AmandaD my lungs are killing me I can only vape a bit I'm using just a kanger mega today and can barely vape that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started off at 36, then moved to 24, 18, and then 12. Took 3 years. Now I'm at 6 and that is my sweet spot for now. My wife's at 12 mg, and struggles with 6 mg unless she uses an RTA (Lemo) or a dripper. My DIY liquid is 90VG/10PG, or 100VG. I get itchy if I use juice with more than 20% PG.

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try less pg, it could be your coil build or the cotton you used and in some cases it coul be your juice, recently i started caughing cuz i up my vg, try less vg if non of the above wrkd, good luck!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My process of elimination was Vaping straight VG, nothin else, then to do the same with PG. I ended the "testing" with VG. It made my chest hurt terribly. At that time my ratio was 75pg/25vg. Upped pg to 80 and all was well.

Typos brought to you by: iPhone.

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My process of elimination was Vaping straight VG, nothin else, then to do the same with PG. I ended the "testing" with VG. It made my chest hurt terribly. At that time my ratio was 75pg/25vg. Upped pg to 80 and all was well.

Cool, glad to hear that.

NexDeus

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can have a juice that I've been using for a week straight, then all of a sudden it will make me cough. I have 6% nic that I usually cut 50/50 with a 0% nic so I'm in theory hitting 3%. Im sure there are just as many environmental factors as there are relating directly to the mod/juice mix. For me I've noticed Im more likely to cough when I vape after smoking a cigarette. Also, first thing in the morning. My girlfriend, who was a smoker for many years before she got pregnant could NEVER get over coughing from a vape, ecig pen or on this Itazte mvp...even 0% nic. Just out of sheer curiosity do you go hours between vaping? That can make me cough for the first few pulls. Also, 18% and 12% nic are pretty strong. I have a 24% coffee here (I was a pack a day smoker for 10 years) that I cant touch to save my life.

Did anyone realize that original post was from october? I just noticed that XD

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm another one that can't do more VG than 50/50. If I try 45/55, I can feel the heavy VG sitting in my throat and lungs.

The other thing that I consider is that PG inhalation has been tested and verified safe many times over the last 25 years. There haven't been any (that I have found) similar long term studies for VG inhalation. I gotta stick with the one that has a long history. VG may be just as safe, but I still need more proof to feel more comfortable with it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The only time I go hours between Vapes is when I'm asleep.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
higher nic = stronger throat hit = coughing
higher pg = stronger throat hit = coughing
dry hit (full or partial) can result in coughing
your throat being dry already can result in coughing (ie, morning, or after physical activity/labor)
the flavor itself can result in coughing. cinnamon or an acidic citrus flavor like lemon or orange for example.
upping your wattage to get more vapor can result in coughing

Most of these are usually temporary though, it will stop happening when your throat gets used to it. Just like with spicy/peppery foods.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
higher nic = stronger throat hit = coughing
higher pg = stronger throat hit = coughing
dry hit (full or partial) can result in coughing
your throat being dry already can result in coughing (ie, morning, or after physical activity/labor)
the flavor itself can result in coughing. cinnamon or an acidic citrus flavor like lemon or orange for example.
upping your wattage to get more vapor can result in coughing

Most of these are usually temporary though, it will stop happening when your throat gets used to it. Just like with spicy/peppery foods.
You forgot:

High VG= sits on chest, coughing and wheezing (for some of us!)

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Antoniothad that it was such a simple fix for me. I didn't want to give up vaping. I hope it's as simple of a fix for @vaporpunx23
Good to hear your gonna keep vapin, i know a few guys from my wrk that started
Vapin and quit because of taste/flavor issue, but glad to hear u resolved the issue!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, that was over the summer. I hadn't been DIY that long.

VU Sponsors