Become a Patron!

Paint removal

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So the paint is chipping off on my sir Lancelot clone, can I use nail polish remover to take it off and have the copper showing? Or would I have to coat it with something after. Just curious if the paint has another purpose other than aesthetics.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's copper underneath and you want shiny, you will either need to polish it all the time or you could clear coat it. Removing the paint won't effect the function. Whiskey's link above has some great details about what kinds of clearcoats, etc that people use.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
aircraft remover.
AIRCRAFT-remover__94482_zoom.jpg

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aircraft remover is the stuff, but make damn sure you remove all insulators, delrin spacers, aluminum parts and anything otherwise not metal before you even open the can!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and wear gloves, goggles and long sleeves. even a spec of this stuff burns. I have had it splash tiny droplets on my arms and it stings a little but I just wash my arms and it goes away but avoid contact.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
With the copper underneath, you will have to choose between bright and shiny or the weathered green finish.

Shiny you coat. Green you wait until it is the right shade for you and then you coat.

VU Sponsors