Become a Patron!

Paired batteries for dual batt mod: Fact or Fiction?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I won a Cloupor T8 from cigabuy.com and it is in the US now, so hopefully I'll have it in the next couple of days.

Since it is a dual 18650 regulated box mod it got me to wondering if there is really any significant benefit to getting a new set of batteries for it that are kept charged and paired together moving forward?

Are there any reasons why I should not use the batteries that I have today which are LG HE2's since they have been used in a rotation through my current mods while waiting to get a matched pair?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Matched pair ...preferably same lot#. Charged together so they remain balanced. The point is so they discharge evenly..thus "age" evenly. Same lot numbers ensures that the weight of the manganese pellet is identical...and the paste mix and lithium solution are identical.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I won a Cloupor T8 from cigabuy.com and it is in the US now, so hopefully I'll have it in the next couple of days.

Since it is a dual 18650 regulated box mod it got me to wondering if there is really any significant benefit to getting a new set of batteries for it that are kept charged and paired together moving forward?

Are there any reasons why I should not use the batteries that I have today which are LG HE2's since they have been used in a rotation through my current mods while waiting to get a matched pair?
Do they have a marriage certificate?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pretty much agree.. you need 2 that will charge to the same levels and discharge at the same rates... If you dont, the battery that has more charge with try to charge the one with the lesser..

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do they have a marriage certificate?
rimshot-o.gif

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL for the in-breeding bit.

So it sounds like it comes down to battery life/lifespan plus efficiency of power delivered to the mod itself then.

But nothing that would actually have the potential to damage the chip right?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Matched pair ...preferably same lot#. Charged together so they remain balanced. The point is so they discharge evenly..thus "age" evenly. Same lot numbers ensures that the weight of the manganese pellet is identical...and the paste mix and lithium solution are identical.
You are a very wise man.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty much agree.. you need 2 that will charge to the same levels and discharge at the same rates... If you dont, the battery that has more charge with try to charge the one with the lesser..
and what's so wrong with that? it's like helping out a friend who's too pooped to pop

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just a jest:DDid you see that science vid of the guy using one battery to charge another? Handy little tip when you don't have enough power in one of your batteries. I think he was using Duracells. Not something I would try with high drain but interesting.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya, batteries will try to equalize, but you're right in that you dont really want to do that with high drain batts that are also being drained at a high rate while also being so close to your face :)

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I get that and until I can get a couple of matched pairs, I will only use fully charged batteries in the T8.

Was bummed this morning to find out that it is still sitting in Chicago :(

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I get that and until I can get a couple of matched pairs, I will only use fully charged batteries in the T8.

Was bummed this morning to find out that it is still sitting in Chicago :(
I dont know if they need to be fully matched pairs, but simply buying 2 new ones that stay together from the start would be enough.. Thats all I do. If you buy all at the same time they will more than likely be from the same batch/lot run anyways..

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I only use matched pairs myself.

And I also rotate them from the left and right position in my Sigelei.

I have noticed that they are about 0.01 v difference (both pairs) between the Right one and the Left one when I swap them out for charging.

With my Dovpo E-Mech I have matched pair that I just leave in there as I use the internal charger.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If they are the same then the weaker/older one is stressed more.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I have noticed that they are about 0.01 v difference (both pairs) between the Right one and the Left one when I swap them out for charging.

With my Dovpo E-Mech I have matched pair that I just leave in there as I use the internal charger.
I do the same, and also rotate which sled I charge each battery in every time I do so. Always the same charger, sleds 1 and 3, and rotate. I never charge other batteries while charging my pairs on the same charger, too. The pairs are labeled with date, and number. The batteries labeled A and B. Might be excessive, but it takes absolutely no real effort, so why not do it correct?

Believe me, I understand the temptation. I have 6 mechs, and thus a ton of 18650's. It would've been nice to not purchase more. They're all dated, too, so I know which ones are essentially the same. They don't always get drained and charged at the same point, though, so, I don't know if internal degradation is different. It's my understanding that more load will get put on one of the batteries if not married, which can lead to bad things.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That's interesting. I remember a vid on this advising to mark each battery so you place them back where they were. What's the skinny on this?:confused:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's interesting. I remember a vid on this advising to mark each battery so you place them back where they were. What's the skinny on this?:confused:
I read to always alternate on charger sleds and in the device each cycle. That way, if there is a slight difference anywhere it will be evenly applied. Don't know, I use my Multimeter always, and make sure they're at worst .01 off.

I do think it's definitely important to use a married pair, my OCD rotating might be unnecessary, though. Just doing what I've read, don't remember where.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I read to always alternate on charger sleds and in the device each cycle. That way, if there is a slight difference anywhere it will be evenly applied. Don't know, I use my Multimeter always, and make sure they're at worst .01 off.

I do think it's definitely important to use a married pair, my OCD rotating might be unnecessary, though. Just doing what I've read, don't remember where.
Thanks TBC. good to keep in mind, wouldn't hurt

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks TBC. good to keep in mind, wouldn't hurt
For sure. I hope I'm giving good advice. I know I read and or heard it on a video or two, and it makes sense to me hasn't failed me, yet, so I will keep at it.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Unfortuantely my memory disorder makes it difficult for me to remember all the complexities of rotating the three batteries I have for my single bat mods! I finally numbered them 1 - 3 and strictly grab them in order so they sort of naturally rotate through the sled without any effort.

I'm hoping to pick up 2 new pairs with a D4 charger and probably won't pay attention to the pacement of the batteries in the mod or the charger but marry two pairs to each other.

Thanks for all the feedback folks

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unfortuantely my memory disorder makes it difficult for me to remember all the complexities of rotating the three batteries I have for my single bat mods! I finally numbered them 1 - 3 and strictly grab them in order so they sort of naturally rotate through the sled without any effort.

I'm hoping to pick up 2 new pairs with a D4 charger and probably won't pay attention to the pacement of the batteries in the mod or the charger but marry two pairs to each other.

Refer to title of thread and save yourself the trouble. No need for single batt mods. But you do need to pay attention to the placement of a married pair on a dual batt mod.

Last edited:

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do the same, and also rotate which sled I charge each battery in every time I do so. Always the same charger, sleds 1 and 3, and rotate. I never charge other batteries while charging my pairs on the same charger, too. The pairs are labeled with date, and number. The batteries labeled A and B. Might be excessive, but it takes absolutely no real effort, so why not do it correct?

Believe me, I understand the temptation. I have 6 mechs, and thus a ton of 18650's. It would've been nice to not purchase more. They're all dated, too, so I know which ones are essentially the same. They don't always get drained and charged at the same point, though, so, I don't know if internal degradation is different. It's my understanding that more load will get put on one of the batteries if not married, which can lead to bad things.
Yep, I've heard the same thing from people who make dual batt mods.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor

What I do aside from labeling is take the right battery out and put in in charge sled one, the left... Take left batter out and put it in charge sled three. Now, they are alternated, and all I have to do is put them in my device the same orientation as they were on the charger. If I put them in a case I put them how they're going in the mod, too.

My memory wouldn't be able to keep up with all that, but little routines makes it thoughtless.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Refer to title of thread and save yourself the trouble. No need for single batt mods. But you do need to pay attention to the placement of a married pair on a dual batt mod.
Umm... I know Muth it's my thread :D

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whatever... Simply marry 2 batts.. Batt 1A, Batt 1B.. keep them together.. Dont worry about 'did it go in the left or right last time?' crap and simply use.. Chances are 50/50 that you will have mixed them left to right anyways.. Everything else is 'I feel good' stuff..

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whatever... Simply marry 2 batts.. Batt 1A, Batt 1B.. keep them together.. Dont worry about 'did it go in the left or right last time?' crap and simply use.. Chances are 50/50 that you will have mixed them left to right anyways.. Everything else is 'I feel good' stuff..
That's what I thought. Heck with it, I'll just ask the batt experts at imrbatteries.com and put the baby to bed (and get this crazyness out of my brain)

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Umm... I know Muth it's my thread :D
Er, okay. Was it a grammar problem or am I too tired, but didn't it read that you were numbering and rotating batteries for your single batt mods? And if I'm wrong on this, me sorry. I'm going to contact imr on this anyway because my head is hurting from all the different opinions. I wanna have fun now, you?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i think it was a context issue. The comment was made related to the subject of rotating batteries through a charger and mod. I was simply saying that I am already used to rotating with my single battery mods, but going to much more than a simple rotation is probably something I'm not going to bother with.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know it's overkill to do what I do, it's just easy for me, so I do it. OCD for safety purposes can't hurt, I hope. Lol.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Absolutely marry and rotate. :) Most people who I've talked to that complain about less than par battery life in their dual battery boxes just slap any two batteries they have handy in their mod. 1 MKNE and 1 EFEST 35A?? Not even the same mAh rating. Stupid.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Absolutely marry and rotate. :) Most people who I've talked to that complain about less than par battery life in their dual battery boxes just slap any two batteries they have handy in their mod. 1 MKNE and 1 EFEST 35A?? Not even the same mAh rating. Stupid.
Nope that is just Darwin looking to grant an award.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Absolutely marry and rotate. :) Most people who I've talked to that complain about less than par battery life in their dual battery boxes just slap any two batteries they have handy in their mod. 1 MKNE and 1 EFEST 35A?? Not even the same mAH rating. Stupid.

That is the main thing there, different mah capacity is a problem. One old and one new is a problem.

As your batteries drain, there is nothing to keep them balanced. So while the same amount of energy is leaving both cells nearing the end of their useful charge one may be 2.8v and the other 3.2v when your device hit it's low voltage cut off of an average 3.0v per cell or 6v total. You just took one of the two cells lower than you wanted to.

If both can drain equally, your batteries should both be close to each other when you device hits low voltage cut off. That's really it within reason... I guess you could have that guy that matches a 30a and 10a discharge battery and that's wrong for a safety and performance reason.

Hey guys i have a question i have 2 lg batteries and they are married but today for some reason the one side didnt want to charge on my charger switched the batteries the same well i didnt notice for a half hour one is at 91 and the other is 80. To not put strain on the other battery i just took out the higher percentage battery out until it reaches the same as the other then put them back in together to finish the charge. Does this matter or no?

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does not matter on the slightest. Your charger will have independent channels and won't care what charge level one is compared to the other. If both /all cells had to be at the same level of charge for charging to be safe then that would be a pretty restrictive and rather crappy charging system for single cell charging.

VU Sponsors