Become a Patron!

Parallel And Series Questions.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, I was just doing some reading on this, and wanna test what I learned. So correct me if I'm wrong here.

Series configuration doubles voltage (2 cell mod) but not mAh.

Parallel keeps the voltage of a single cell but doubles the mAH. (2 cell mod)

So in theory, a 2 cell mod outputting 70 watts would be pulling 11.67 amps on 2 cells at 3v.

The same scenario with a parallel configuration would be pulling 23.33 amps from each cell.

Are these statements correct?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you talking mech mods in series vs parallel? Or regulated?

On a mech, your voltage is the voltage of the battery setup. 4.2 for parallel, 8.4 for series.

On a regulated, all that matters for amp draw from the batteries is the above voltage per battery setup and wattage.

A rule of thumb for safety with 20a batteries is 70 watts per battery on a regulated device. So 140w for a 2 battery regulated.

Either way, there is really no way to only pull 3v from charged batteries. Always 4.2v in mech or regulated.

Parallel also "doubles" the amp rating ( more realistically is time and a half instead of double)

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys, I was just doing some reading on this, and wanna test what I learned. So correct me if I'm wrong here.

Series configuration doubles voltage (2 cell mod) but not mAh.

Parallel keeps the voltage of a single cell but doubles the mAH. (2 cell mod)

So in theory, a 2 cell mod outputting 70 watts would be pulling 11.67 amps on 2 cells at 3v.

The same scenario with a parallel configuration would be pulling 23.33 amps from each cell.

Are these statements correct?

Series Battery Configuration = Voltage X Number of Batteries, Mah and CDR of a single battery
Parallel Battery Configuration = Voltage of single battery, Mah X Number of Batteries, CDR in theory is X Number of Batteries as the load should be balanced just like the Mah, but for safety it is more along the lines of Battery 1 100% Single Battery CDR, Battery 2 +50% Extra CDR, Battery 3 +50% Extra CDR, etc.

On a mechanical or unregulated always use the fresh charge value, 4.2v per battery
On a regulated mod, then it is about 3 to 3.2v lowest battery charge per battery

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Series Battery Configuration = Voltage X Number of Batteries, Mah and CDR of a single battery
Parallel Battery Configuration = Voltage of single battery, Mah X Number of Batteries, CDR in theory is X Number of Batteries as the load should be balanced just like the Mah, but for safety it is more along the lines of Battery 1 100% Single Battery CDR, Battery 2 +50% Extra CDR, Battery 3 +50% Extra CDR, etc.

On a mechanical or unregulated always use the fresh charge value, 4.2v per battery
On a regulated mod, then it is about 3 to 3.2v lowest battery charge per battery

Sorry guys, haven't been on here in a while! What would this mean for a regulated mod that uses a parallel configuration? Does the board do the math the same and it's the same as a series mod? Or is there something very different to keep in mind? Thanks for the explanation as well! It's much appreciated! Knowledge is power after all! ;)

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Example, the iStick100W I know uses a dual battery parallel configuration, and is always a good bet to do the watts calculation at either for instance 20amp CDR batteries as 30amps is your actual CDR, like stated above batt 1 20amp, batt 2 gives an extra 10amps.

Or,
Watts Set/3.2v/90%/2=Amps Per battery

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry guys, haven't been on here in a while! What would this mean for a regulated mod that uses a parallel configuration? Does the board do the math the same and it's the same as a series mod? Or is there something very different to keep in mind? Thanks for the explanation as well! It's much appreciated! Knowledge is power after all! ;)

The simple answer is that yes the math is the same, as far as the batteries are concerned.

Watts are volts * amps. Basically if they're in parallel it pulls double the amps because the voltage is half of series, but it's pulling from two parallel batteries so the amps are split between the two batteries so they're halved again. So you double the amps and then halve them again, making it the same.

VU Sponsors