Become a Patron!

Parallel coils and cloud chasing?

I have been trying to get into Cloud Chasing a bit, a buddy of mine and myself have been working on builds etc. I'v done a lot of looking for information out there on coils. Though what I find seem very conflicting and or a year or more old. Except some you tube videos. When I watch actual cloud chasing video's seems they are frequently recommending parallel coils. Lots of them say that is what they use when competing. Question is why am I not hearing them say they are using Staggered stapled Clapton, Dragon, flat wire Clapton, fused, normal clapton, etc etc etc?

Are all these coils not really that good for cloud chasing? If not why make such intricate coils? I've been working on coil making, but if making a staggered stapled clapton for instance is not going to help, I don't see a reason to put the time in to make them when I can make a parallel in like 2 minutes.

So can anyone clear this up for me?

Tuluum

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, for one, I look at the more intricate coils as works of art. A hobby, if you will. Once installed, it can go along the lines of matching atomizer and mod (I.e. aesthetics).

The second thing is that there is more to vaping than just chucking clouds. Some of us don't care about it at all! And, when it comes to flavor, more nooks and crannies in the coil can translate into flavor town.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, a parallel coil heats up much faster than a fused clapton coil, unless you have a higher powered regulated mod. However, in most cloud competitions, you're only allowed to use mech. mods.

IMO, a parallel coil heats up much faster than a fused clapton coil, unless you have a higher powered regulated mod. However, in most cloud competitions, you're only allowed to use mech. mods.

Really? Why is that? I would of thought so long as your within the ohm limit what ever mod you use wouldn't matter. Problem with parellel so far for me with my mod is amp limit. My mod has a amp limit of 25 amp, so trying to run a parallel at something like .14 ohms (24 gauge parallels NI80 dual coils) I can only get 87.5 watts, which makes it difficult. Though I don't really know what watts most chasers run at. I put in a single 24 gauge NI80 dual coils at .25 amps and I can run that at up to 140 watts before I hit 25 amps, but that so hot that it's hard to vape.

That is why I was asking about the parallels, cuz you can run them at a lower wattage I hope and get a more dense vapor without the heat. Though I really haven't tried it yet as I have to run a higher ohm coil. Maybe 7 wraps instead of 6, unless I buy an IPV 5.

Still I don't understand why they wouldn't want you to run the safest mod possible. It seems to go against what the vaping community has been fighting for.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Really? Why is that?

That is why I was asking about the parallels, cuz you can run them at a lower wattage I hope and get a more dense vapor without the heat.

Still I don't understand why they wouldn't want you to run the safest mod possible. It seems to go against what the vaping community has been fighting for.
You've answered the first question yourself. A mech mod has a limitation on the wattage/power it can put out, depending on the battery.
Regarding safety, I think it is assumed that people taking part in a cloud competition, know what they are doing.

BTW, I'm not a cloud chaser, nor am I competing.

You've answered the first question yourself. A mech mod has a limitation on the wattage/power it can put out, depending on the battery.
Regarding safety, I think it is assumed that people taking part in a cloud competition, know what they are doing.

BTW, I'm not a cloud chaser, nor am I competing.

I really don't want to get into a mod conversation due to the subject being on cloud chasing coils. But I thought the idea of cloud chasing was who could make the biggest clouds within a certain ohm limit. IMO limiting the mods to mechs seems to be a cut of your nose to spite your face type a thing. Seems you would want more people to compete and get into it if you want your sport and vaping to grow.

But just to get back to coils, then it is correct that parallels are pretty much what you use if you want to cloud chase then? Seems a bit disappointing to me, especially since so many ppl out there are thinking if they put the time into impressive coil builds it will give them huge clouds.

noogie003

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMO the larger builds are much better for clouds, standard parallel coils while they do ramp up MUCH faster don't have the ability to wick juice as well as clapton wire ect., while I don't have any proof fancy builds actually wick faster, these builds are wicks by themselves allowing you to take longer hits using these wires and achieve the clouds your seeking, seeing as your using a mech your definitely a bit more limited but I've had pretty great results using parellel 24g ni80 as the core and 40g ni80 as the "wrapping" (insert correct term for it haha)
5 wraps around a 3mm bit I think it usally comes out to about .2ohms exactly but don't quote me it's been a few weeks since I've done it

What mod and atty are you using?

Not sure if I made it confusing, but i'm using a vv mod, a cuboid. But I think tomorrow I might go pick up an IPV 5 since I can push the amps to run a parallel coil, unless I go up higher in ohms. Don't know why but it always seems to come out so low with 24 gauge NI80 7wraps dual parallel 3mm coils always seem to be down around .15 give or take .01 ohms.

I tell you though it's a damn pain in the @ss installing them in my goon. I'm starting to hate parallel's in that atty. Starting to wish I picked up a TM v2.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So each coil is really 14 wraps. Way too long. No way the middle of the coil is being properly supplied with juice. And with an adjustable power mod there's no real good reason to use parallel coils. Post a pic of your build. Coil positioning and wicking is as important as the actual coil specs. Pics keep us from making wild ass guesses that don't help you.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I parallel 24/32 Kanthal Clapton with 26g SS316, much flavor, much cloud :) Mind you most of the time I do use it on a VW device at around 80-100w... On a mech fully charged bat still nice vapor production probably around the 80w mark.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors