Patriot Style RDA?

KuntryBarbie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Member For 5 Years
Well I have 2 Kamry x1 and I just rebuilt one of them for the first time. I did 99% of it cause my bf(vapeman12) had to show me how to do some of it (I am a hands on visual kind of person). I rebuilt it to be 1.2.... I was so happy and wanting to get another RDA so I went to angel cigs and ordered me a Patriot Style RDA. It says on the site that it has pre-build dual coil.

My question is when I do go to rebuild it do I have to do a dual coil or can I do just a single coil like I am doing on my Kamry??

first build.jpg <<<---- first build

Todd Toler

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello KuntryBarbie, I have a few of the Patriots, they are simple yet great RDA's. Kind of my "no fuss" go to device(s). Great choice to learn on if you ask me.

You do not have to do a dual coil on it, but it would probably end up being a better overall experience to run dual coils in. I am running a 0.4ohm dual coil top build. The top build means I did not run it through the post holes, but trapped it under the screws in the posts. I would not suggest that for a first build though. The reason I would suggest a dual coil is the airflow on the Patriot, it isn't adjustable out of the box, you can't block off half of it to run in single coil mode. This will degrade the performance slightly if you did a single coil.

You will notice out of the box the Patriot runs very small air flow holes. A lot of people drill them out. I have done mine three times, currently at 3/32 on both. Gradually getting more and more airflow. I would not suggest immediately going so big, because you may like a tighter draw. It is difficult to say, and figuring out your perfect vape is part of the fun. Remember, once you drill it out you cannot put it back. Though, you can get a new top cap.

Either way, you will just need to fine tune it to your likes. See what other people have done with the Patriots, and go for it. Ask people what they like, and why. For a long time I was asking people what they liked, but forgot to ask why. I made a lot of mistakes trying to figure out my perfect vape because of not asking why. Feel free to reach out if I can help at all, and sorry for the essay lol

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As with any rda single coils also extend your battery life a bit. With the dual coil builds they take a bit more power to fire both as opposed to the single firing build. So it will pretty much be up to you to decide what you prefer. I personally like dual coiling because with two coils firing you have twice the vapor being produced. I started with a single coil build on the omega clone cause one of the negative posts came off when I was trying my first sleeper build. I will say everything in vaping is subjective though which is awesome cause it means different thoughts and ideas can come about. I would say just try both a single coil and a dual coil then see what one makes you happier.

KuntryBarbie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys for the advise I will keep it all in mind... I am waiting on it to come now wish it hurry up and get here :)

Xc116 will fit it correct?

I can dual coil and still be at a 1.1 or 1.2 correct??
For some reason I keep thinking that dual coil=sub ohming and that is something I just aint ready for and just dont feel like doing....

I will get it all but it takes me a min to work it through my head :) :p

with the Kamry I just did I guess what yall call top post? I am more comfy with doing the top post coils

Todd Toler

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
While I understand where you think subohming is not your thing, it is worth trying. Might go something a little light like a 0.8 or so, to break yourself in. You will find that there is a range you enjoy. It may be above 1 ohm, it may be super subohm. But you kind of have to dial it in for your tastes. That is definitely the beauty of rebuilding. If it is too hot, or you do not like it, tear it out and build it again. You are out a few minutes and about 10 cents of material, plus you gained a little experience building. After a few builds it will be like old hat and you will only get better as you go. I do at least one build a day. Some weekends I get a little crazy and rebuild everything twice lol

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My 2 cents: don't worry too much about each build. If it isn't right tear it out and spin some more wire. I'm still pretty new to building so I throw away more coils than I use, just keep playing until I'm happy with it.
Also if you find a build that you like but is too hot try a longer drip tip.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Bahas for the link to the calculator. That helps alot..

Btsmokincat

Member For 4 Years
Stick a toothpick into one of the airholes and break it off to plug and run single coils.

Go easy on the post screws in a patriot clone. I can feel the center post striping out on mine after only 5 or 6 builds and I was always very careful not to force it. Not to say yours will strip just be aware.

If you have an android device "Vaper's Toolbox" is a great app that is free on google play. You put in what your using and what Ohms you want and it tells you how many wraps. I've always found it very accurate.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
If you're going to single coil your Patriot, block off the second airhole as @Btsmokincat mentioned. It will be too much coming in for one coil, personal preference of course. Depending on the coil that it comes with, you may want to rip it out right away. Often those prebuild coils are wrapped on some crappy silica and extremely thin kanthal. I've had "prebuilt" coils come at 2.5ohms already (my Kayfun 3.1 clone).

If you want to dip into just under your sweet spot to "subohm" I'd say that 6/7 wraps of 28 gauge dual coil around 5/64 should pop you around .8ohm. It's a really nice sustainable vape for the Patriot.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Btsmokincat for the tip. Until I get better at building coils, single coils for me. I expect i should do that on all my RDAs until I start dual coils, correct???

KuntryBarbie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Member For 5 Years
Thanks I will keep that in mind and I will deff be looking up that app on my tablet :)

Stick a toothpick into one of the airholes and break it off to plug and run single coils.

Go easy on the post screws in a patriot clone. I can feel the center post striping out on mine after only 5 or 6 builds and I was always very careful not to force it. Not to say yours will strip just be aware.

If you have an android device "Vaper's Toolbox" is a great app that is free on google play. You put in what your using and what Ohms you want and it tells you how many wraps. I've always found it very accurate.

KuntryBarbie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Member For 5 Years
Thanks know I understand better you explain it great for my slow blonde brain LOL :)

If you're going to single coil your Patriot, block off the second airhole as @Btsmokincat mentioned. It will be too much coming in for one coil, personal preference of course. Depending on the coil that it comes with, you may want to rip it out right away. Often those prebuild coils are wrapped on some crappy silica and extremely thin kanthal. I've had "prebuilt" coils come at 2.5ohms already (my Kayfun 3.1 clone).

If you want to dip into just under your sweet spot to "subohm" I'd say that 6/7 wraps of 28 gauge dual coil around 5/64 should pop you around .8ohm. It's a really nice sustainable vape for the Patriot.

KuntryBarbie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show Host
Member For 5 Years
I got my patriot in the mail a few days ago and it was at .7 (so my vamo says, I know it wont fire below a 1.2) and my sigelei #3 didnt wont to work either..... So I broke down and rebuilt it with to a 1.9 and single coil..... I love it!!! just so tiny to work with the way my hands are so I had to have help getting the wire in the hole....

So now my question is I can build it on the top like I do with my kamry x1 or do I have to build it by putting the wire in the hole in the middle of the posts??

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can wire capture or threading it through the posts. Just either way you do it just make sure it won't touch the sides or deck so you don't hard short out.

VU Sponsors