Become a Patron!

Per Mooch the material used in the tube of a mech mod makes no real difference.

ieatOhms

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh shit! I didn't even read the comments...there is definitely a lot of butt hurt flowing through that thread. Lol!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well duh........

Yeah the science says there are differences....... yep differences the result in fractions of a watts worth of difference....... differences I doubt could be measured other than via an algorithm.

It's like the coil material and which wire or wick tastes better . arguement...... I know I have a preference.... I also know I can't identify coil material by vaping it. I just like some types or wire better. Wick I can identify.. most of the time after a few draws.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its common sense, the thickness of the metal tube means you will have virtually zero resistance whichever metal is used.... any difference will be in the .000000x range. Plus of course these things are conductors not resistors. But its always fun to see people argue otherwise lol :D Contact points (switches, connections and threads) are the only thing worth investigating.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can see where there are other factors, switch, threading etc. The comparison of metals seems sounds. I would take it to mean that company 123 with model xyz tube mech available in copper, brass, stainless and aluminum should perform similarly. (With the exception of stainless since it rated somewhat worse than the others).

Unless a company is purposely using better switches in their copper mods vs brass or aluminum, those should be the same. The differences would come down to thread fitment (QC) and individual buttons (QC) then we're solely talking about manufacturing variations from one to another. That being the case I guess if tolerances are that far off then one copper mech could hit great and another hit shitty. Just roll the dice.

Not talking about comparing different companies or different models of tubes, literally same co, same model. At least that's what I took from it.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to see this posted by someone like Mooch so people will now listen.

When I look for a mech, I want something that looks nice, and has good contacts all around. The metal it is made from doesn't bother me, unless I specifically want a brass or copper coloured mod.

I remember at one vape shop the guy working there had a crowd of vapers around him as he was talking about his competition mech mod, and why he would never use one with vent holes, as the holes massively reduced the mods efficiency, and that his mod was the greatest as it was 'lined with silver' (plated).

I never went back there.

brandon david

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yup, been saying the same thing. Switch material and clean threading will effect performance noticibly. Actual tube material, you can't really perceive the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

triakis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait, people actually thought it makes a difference?!
Say it ain't so! :p
Oh yeah they pull the conductivity charts. Understandably one can see how much better silver is than copper, etc.
What they fail to mention is some of the most important factors such as cross sectional area and length.
This is why we have wire ampacity charts. The longer the wire, the heavier gauge necessary to prevent excessive voltage drop at a given load.
When you're talking the cross sectional area of a mechanical mod and the path from the power cell to the load, the (material) difference is infinitesimal.

Then again, you have folks that swear by certain types of speaker wire, HDMI cables, the works.

Things that really do matter are contact points. And it's easy to tell if you have a problem. A hot button is a dead giveaway of power loss. Granted it's not a lot of power but a loss nonetheless. I've heard nonsense about a hot button killing half of your power! :D Let's say your build is pulling 75W. You mean to tell me that hot button is really dissipating ~38W? Really? Tell you what. Set your power on a reg device to a mere 35W and tell me how hot that coil gets compared to that button. I thought so. Does this mean we should ignore hot button syndrome? Of course not! But you get the idea.

VU Sponsors