Become a Patron!

Petri rta sxk clone

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So i finally got my Petri rta clone in the mail from China. Slapped in some claptons and got to vaping. I dont like having to pull the pin loose to adjust things but overall this is a nice rta. I forgot to close the air holes when filling the tank which caused me to leak out like .5 ml but I'm learning again. Its kind of a tight draw in comparison to other units ive used but the flavor is exceptional. Vapor production is pretty good. A nice clone and it looks pretty snazzy.20161209_125842.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again i dont know why my pictures keep flipping

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After using this for a week I have mixed reviews. The flavor is phenomenal in the atty that's no joke. Deck isn't hard to build on so thats a plus. To the cons. You have to disassemble to re wick it and having to loosen the 510 pin to do any work is messy, a pita. Also if you don't wick it pretty full of cotton it will pour out juice when you first fill it. I had to completely disassemble this evening and lost about 4 ml of expensive juice, twice. If the channel where the juice holes are isn't completely full of cotton this is an issue. Anywho it vapes good flavor great and vapor production on par but I'll give it a 7/10

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the authentic petri, it's definitely a flavor atty...!

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I continue to have issues with leaking. I've tried packing it full. And just filling the middle channels. I'm really losing patience. Someone help me with proper wicking. I use japanese cotton squares split in half

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't put much juice in on refills or it starts pouring out the airflow holes. I have watched a whole ml just pour out. Literally watch the tank empty half way

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe change your wicking method?
Instead of splitting the pad, take the outside layers off and use the full inner pad? Sounds like there just isn't enough cotton on the deck. I don't have that rta but the principal is the same in just about all tanks that rely on vacuum to keep juice from leaking out.
A pic of your deck wicked up will help others that have the tank diagnose.

Check your orings to make sure they are in good condition and maybe change out to the spares just to eliminate the possibility of a oring that's not sized right or slightly damaged.

Also, it may do little to nothing or it may help but close off the airflow when you fill.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you mean cut the whole pad in half after removing tje outer layers? I always make pretty small coils as far as circumference I'll up the size of the diameter and try more cotton this evening and post a pic. I wouldn't be able to thread a bigger piece of cotton through my current coils. 4 1/2 wraps 26/36 claptons.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually split the pads in half and then cut about 3/8 inch strips

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smallest diameter coils I run are 2.5mm and most are 3mm but... you can make the wick any size you want. If you are running a really small Inside Diameter coil, try cut a piece the width of your coils ID, strip the outer layers off and try wick with that. I use the full pad thickness and just cut a strip about the same width as the coils ID in everything I use J-cotton in.

You may need to build bigger ID coils to allow enough cotton to cover the deck and avoid leaking. I would imagine that tank would run best with 3mm coils anyway.

Last edited:

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think there lies the issue for me honestly thanks for the advice

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the authentic, but that's neither here nor there, the idea is you don't have enough cotton in the channels. I use 3.5 mm ID fused claptons in mine. I use Japanese cotton as well. I cut a strip about 0.5-1 mm wider than the coil ID, remove the outer "skin" on both sides (don't split the pad in half) and wick that way. I cut a piece at about 30 deg angle on the inside of the tails (where the two "look" at each other) and that way I leave ample amount of cotton in the channels without running the risk of a dry hit. You really need bigger coils for this tank, it is the only way to have enough cotton in the channels unless you pre-pack some cotton in the juice channels and set the tails on top of that. Let's hope @CrazyChef will chime in, he tested the tank, is an authorized dealer and all around nice guy, and that's where I bought my tank from.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the authentic, but that's neither here nor there, the idea is you don't have enough cotton in the channels. I use 3.5 mm ID fused claptons in mine. I use Japanese cotton as well. I cut a strip about 0.5-1 mm wider than the coil ID, remove the outer "skin" on both sides (don't split the pad in half) and wick that way. I cut a piece at about 30 deg angle on the inside of the tails (where the two "look" at each other) and that way I leave ample amount of cotton in the channels without running the risk of a dry hit. You really need bigger coils for this tank, it is the only way to have enough cotton in the channels unless you pre-pack some cotton in the juice channels and set the tails on top of that. Let's hope @CrazyChef will chime in, he tested the tank, is an authorized dealer and all around nice guy, and that's where I bought my tank from.
^^^Indeed^^^....duh atty likes BIG coils and lots-a wick, you shouldn't have any problems.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually just made some 3mm coils but I know i put too much cotton. So much it isn't even threaded all the way lol. I'll re wick in the way you described once the tank empties or maybe tomorrow. It ain't leaking! But just looks kinda silly

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Eventually I'll figure it out. I'm getting some dryness with this wicking set up. This atty like twisted 420 quotes, is a pain in the dick to re wick with the pin and such

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm actually re wicking now. Too dry

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, even though it's a clone I'll help out... ;):p

Your 2 wick tails should be brought together and packed into the wick channel that coincides with the juice channel on each side of the deck. Don't just lay them flat. This should help a lot.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Also, try snipping off a diagonal portion from the outside of each wick tail to help it fit into the channel a little more nicely.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now it's hitting perfectly. Filled the tank, no leaks. I guess the bigger coils and fluffier fuller wicks help...its vaping better then it ever has honestly. I am gonna invest in some lower ohming coils. I've got pre made clappies but they ohm in at 3.9 I'd like some that go 2

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess everything can't be wicked the same way, i remember when using rda I could wick really thin

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would've loved to buy the authentic but I have a wife that watched me spend hundreds of dollars on crap to vape and then smoke again and sell it all so I was on a budget. Hey she has given me the green light on purchasing 120ml bottles to save money! I did take my clone into the local shop where a guy has the authentic and he couldn't see any difference :)

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have some cool vape pics but every time i post a picture to this forum now it flips it sideways, so I'll refrain. I got some good ones too sadly!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I made a video to show how to wick the RTA. It's my first video, and it's horrible, but at least it'll show how to wick the RTA. It's uploading to YouTube right now and I'll post it when it's done.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's crap, but thanks. At least it shows how to wick this thing.
The video is absolutely fine, it shows HOW TO WICK the atty, which is all that was asked....nothing more, nothing less.

Although I miss the unboxing, and spending 10 minutes reading the specs like others do...."NOT"......:giggle:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well thank you for the kind words. It was kinda fun - maybe I'll try it again now that I know some of what not to do.
It was a 2 part video because in the first one I accidentally hit the stop recording button instead of the pause button.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well thank you for the kind words. It was kinda fun - maybe I'll try it again now that I know some of what not to do.
It was a 2 part video because in the first one I accidentally hit the stop recording button instead of the pause button.
hahaha.....better than most vids, like mine, which equal ZERO.....:rolleyes:

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice little tutorial man. I will watch it when I re wick again. Mine has leaked just a tad this time I'll get it right. I'm gonna replace the little tiny o ring just im in case is did any damage to it. Thanks chef!

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That cotton bacon is definitely fluffier than the japanese pads

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINALLY got a great wick in. It takes a good but og cotton but it must not be too much. Focused in the middle channel but pushed back like in the video leaving room for juice to come in but not cotton overkill. Honestly wicked in the same fashion I usually do with a bigger coil that holds a little more cotton is my ticket.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so im gonna review this again after a few weeks of using it all day every day. Ive gotten pretty good at re wicking it and can do it in 10 minutes. I can attest to the quality of the atty being a little off, ive already replaced all 4 post screws with the extras, its real easy to over tighten them, mixed ohm readings coming from the atty due to this little issue. The flavor is great yes, and i do refill a few times a day, like 5. Overall im wanting to actually go up to something a little better as far as updated vaping tech. The loosining of the screw to work om the deck aint a biggie, although wicking is a little ticky to get in a groove thats just right ive gotten there. Id rather have something a little easier to get on perfect point. After a few weeks use, im gonna dial it in as a 7/10

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today my atty shorted out and quit working altogether. Tried different build, taking it apart, might fire once then it says atomizer short. Threw it in the garbage, back to shopping for an authentic a little better suited

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sometimes clones are fine, sometimes they're not. As you know, the SXK clones are usually better quality - almost as good as the Tobeco clones. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I have one (had to try it) and it's working well so far.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea mine was an sxk, i could see the deck spark when i hit the button. Ive got an rda back up i just dont like dripping every 7-10 hits but itll hold me over for awhile.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I enjoyed my petri some, id like something with a better build deck, id still like to stay smaller for flavor we will see, something a little less finicky would be good. Gotta wait on funds to shop for another.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like to have something with a chuff tip too. I like a wide mouth piece

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have to disassemble to re wick it and having to loosen the 510 pin to do any work is messy, a pita.

Yep, I was giving this a very serious look, almost pulled a trigger on the Authentic. Having to loosen the 510 pin though is what put me off from it completely.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, I was giving this a very serious look, almost pulled a trigger on the Authentic. Having to loosen the 510 pin though is what put me off from it completely.
What do you vape on? Only a flavor oriented vaper will seek the petri :)

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes clones are fine, sometimes they're not. As you know, the SXK clones are usually better quality - almost as good as the Tobeco clones. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I have one (had to try it) and it's working well so far.
Whats your goto smaller rta chef?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do you vape on? Only a flavor oriented vaper will seek the petri :)

Athentic Squape and Kayfun both do me very well in the flavor departments ;)

VU Sponsors