Become a Patron!

PG giving an aftertaste?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, I've attempting some new mixes to sell on my site. I went to fill a 240ml bottle with vg to use to fill smaller bottles to test out the mixes. Realized I was putting PG in it when I noticed how runny it was. Oh well. Finished filling it with VG. The 240ml bottle was maybe 80% VG and I figured 'no big deal'.

Started sampling some new mixes...ugh, horrible aftertaste.
Smelled perfect and tasted fine except it left a horrible aftertaste in my mouth. An aftertaste which *stuck* in my mouth. I know PG makes flavors stronger, but the aftertaste was the same no matter what flavors I was using. Tasted the unflavored vg/pg mix and it turned out the aftertaste was from that. The same mixtures using just VG tasted great. It was the PG that was giving me the horrible aftertaste. It's Essential Depot PG if that matters

So, my question is:
Is it normal for PG to actually change the flavor of stuff and give an aftertaste?
I've always mixed with just VG and before DIY I always bought highest VG I could find.
Does it just taste odd just because I've never vaped liquids with that much PG and thus am not used to it?

Honestly makes me worry about the stuff that I'm mixing to sell.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hard to say, I'm a higher PG vaper. PG, to me, has a slight warmth to it, slightly bitter, though most people I've seen here say it's kinda sweet. Every bottle I've tasted is not sweet. It dries your mouth out more than VG, ime.

Someone around that could sample a mix for you, that's used to more PG? Maybe give the mixes a day or two and sample again.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup, I notice an odd taste with PG, bitter, but only with some juice. Charlie's Chalk Dust for example is 40% PG and I don't notice it...

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've had some issues with PG and bitterness in the past but not sure if it was first the batch of PG I was using as it's since disappeared.
Was trying to remember but I think my first batch of PG came from MBV when I first started DIY.
70%PG user here too, although it could be I've just gotten used to it by now.
But I've been using the PG from Tractor Supply since then anyhow.

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had PG go funky before now - you might try a new batch!

I certainly hope it didn't go bad. lol.
I only got it a month ago. Date on it says use by Jan 2018

I guess I'll wait a few days and give it a try again.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I certainly hope it didn't go bad. lol.
I only got it a month ago. Date on it says use by Jan 2018

I guess I'll wait a few days and give it a try again.
Send me a bottle, I'll tell ya if it's any good :D (I'm kidding)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use 80% pg most of the time (To much VG gives me a heaviness in the lungs) and have tasted pg gone bad, nasty. I have never had any of my pg go bad though. I've seen quit a few that buy from Essential Depot and have not tried theirs, been leery of theirs. Their price is great but I'll stick with RTS, ECX or others. Good luck figuring out your puzzle.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had PG go funky before now - you might try a new batch!

I have also recently had pg go funky but it was a year and half old. It smelled strongly chemical. My new bottle from the same place is fine, problem is I bought a gallon of the stuff and I'm sure it will turn too, after some months.:(

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have also recently had pg go funky but it was a year and half old. It smelled strongly chemical. My new bottle from the same place is fine, problem is I bought a gallon of the stuff and I'm sure it will turn too, after some months.:(
Mine was also pretty old and stored under the sink by an outside wall where it gets a bit warm.

I bought a gallon of Essential Depot PG and it made my juices have an awful bitter-chem aftertaste also. I have several brands of PG and they generally have varying degrees of a bitter aftertaste when you taste them directly on your tongue. When vaped the bitterness doesn’t come through as strong and not at all when flavored but I bought a gallon of Essential Depot PG from amazon about 6 months ago and it had that awful bitter-chem aftertaste just like you described. Since I was new to DYI I thought it was doing something wrong not letting it steep, mixed wrong or whatever, mixed a lot of unvapable juice before I figured it out. Don’t know if it was a bad batch old stock left in the sun for 2 weeks or what but no more essential depot from amazon for me.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I too am a higher pg user. But have never had a bitter taste. I always take a drop on my tongue of pg n vg b4 mixing cus i worry about shit going bad.

VU Sponsors