Become a Patron!

PG Tastes like Chemicals -HELP

So I ordered a quart of PG and a quart of VG from amazon, I will leave the brand out of it as they have a lot of good reviews but its one of the two Best Seller Choice options.

Anyways, I was having trouble with juice coming out tasting foul, an odd chemical/musty taste. I tried everything before I thought to test my base carriers, I loaded a cart with straight PG and it was definitely the source of the foul taste in the finished product.

The PG has no smell whatsoever but when a few drops are dabbed onto tongue it tastes like rubbing alcohol or something, very strong chemical taste.

Did I get a bad batch or something? Is this normal, I mean the taste is very pronounced. I am going to hit my local vape shop tomorrow and see if they have some PG in stock I can try out and see if its any different than the brand I have now.

Thanks.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found that pg can get chemical tasting when it gets old. I had a liter that went bad after about a year. It was good when I got it and my new pg is good.

I dunno, but maybe you just got some old stuff.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno I get Essential depot PG and VG from amazon with no issues.
Once I got some that just said 99% PG food grade with red label at top white in middle and blue I think at bottom. It was ok but I switched to Essential Depot.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno then. Been using Essential Depot PG/VG for over 2 years. Many, many vapers use it too.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Essential Depot user here also

It is possible you just don't like the taste of PG - I don't, but can't vape max Vg, so had to learn to deal with it :confused:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And straight PG is a bit rough.
Don't think I have ever tasted straight PG.

I vape 60% PG. Anything over 50% VG causes me to get congested and hack up VG.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
So I ordered a quart of PG and a quart of VG from amazon, I will leave the brand out of it as they have a lot of good reviews but its one of the two Best Seller Choice options.

Anyways, I was having trouble with juice coming out tasting foul, an odd chemical/musty taste. I tried everything before I thought to test my base carriers, I loaded a cart with straight PG and it was definitely the source of the foul taste in the finished product.

The PG has no smell whatsoever but when a few drops are dabbed onto tongue it tastes like rubbing alcohol or something, very strong chemical taste.

Did I get a bad batch or something? Is this normal, I mean the taste is very pronounced. I am going to hit my local vape shop tomorrow and see if they have some PG in stock I can try out and see if its any different than the brand I have now.

Thanks.
Where was the PG from? I bet China. China always has bad chemical tasting PG. You should return it, Amazon is good for returns, not as described.

Buy your VG, and PG from vendors we trust, http://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-reviews-flavorings-nic-base-suppliers.393/

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
part of the reason I'm max VG along with some other things but I'm not sure I've ever had PG that's "odorless" or "tasteless" just like I've never had nic that is odorless or tasteless. I know many will disagree and I'm not trying to force an opinion but for me personally, all PG taste like crap no matter the source.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Same as wllmc here ... I find PG to have a really nasty bitter taste. I've tried several different sources and they all tasted the same to me. I had to switch to Max VG in order to be able to make juice that was palatable.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Although I do not taste the PG when vaped one time I thought I left water in a beaker and dipped my finger in it to taste test it and it did not taste very good. No chemical taste but not something I would ever do again!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A divide on taste?
Certainly it exists.

It is probably the most understated thing in vaping.

I for one cannot tolerate most commercial ejuices.
Have actual physical negative reactions to much of it.

Is this a real topic of discussion anywhere?

The industry does not want some things discussed.

such as that vaping does not work for everyone.
It would not have worked for me except for my VERY quickly starting DIY.
If not for that I would still be smoking.

Smoking is tolerated by a higher percentage of the people for several reasons.
Well until it likely eventually kills ya.

Last edited:
After reading a bit into it, it seems Essential Depot has mixed reviews with what people are calling "old batches" as the culprit.

I just placed orders for three very popular brands and I will put them to the test.

I plan on flavoring, but I think its important to find a good base before proceeding with flavoring even if it will mask any undesirable taste anyways.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you have a good palatte...yeah all PG tastes like a chemical to me....I don't use alot of it.

VU Sponsors