Pima vs. Cotton bacon

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So, those of you that can compare, which do you like better and why?

Just curious, just got both in the mail and am wondering about the experience of others.

I'm going to be playing with both in the next few weeks.

Tol

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, those of you that can compare, which do you like better and why?

Just curious, just got both in the mail and am wondering about the experience of others.

I'm going to be playing with both in the next few weeks.
Rayon!

Apparently I need to try some PIMA soon. Cotton Bacon is very nice as far as cotton goes though.

sent using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Rayon!

Apparently I need to try some PIMA soon. Cotton Bacon is very nice as far as cotton goes though.

sent using Tapatalk

Hmmm, this sounds familiar, lol.

Loving the pima so far --- I'll get some rayon one of these days. Haven't touched the cotton bacon yet, but most say Pima beats the crap out of cotton bacon.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The last time I tried Rayon all I could taste was the Rayon...I need to get a new batch, nobody else seems to complain about it.

I can't really tell any difference in cotton when the outer portions are removed.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So far I have not tried the "bacon" but I tried Pima and did not enjoy it at all. Maybe I did something wrong or got the wrong type, but it was packaged for vaping and no other instructions.

When I set up the Pima and added liquid to prime, I noticed that it actually repelled the liquid, almost like wool. It took me some time so I gave up and kept it for craft needs.

Does it need to be washed?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So far I have not tried the "bacon" but I tried Pima and did not enjoy it at all. Maybe I did something wrong or got the wrong type, but it was packaged for vaping and no other instructions.

When I set up the Pima and added liquid to prime, I noticed that it actually repelled the liquid, almost like wool. It took me some time so I gave up and kept it for craft needs.

Does it need to be washed?

I didn't wash mine.

My juice soaked right in a vaped really nicely right off the bat. Just fluffed it a little. Had less break-in taste than the Japanese cotton it was replacing. Cant' hardly taste it at all today.

It was so good I went ahead and rewicked almost everything I have with it.

Still haven't tried the Cotton bacon.

Was asking because I finally got some cotton bacon and grabbed some Pima while I was at it because it was on sale super-cheap.

When no one answered this question yesterday I mentioned it in the refugee thread and everyone just said use rayon, lol, which I don't have on hand.

Just looking for a little insight.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cotton bacon is great and initially is better since is has no real break in period and saturates instantly.
Pima however does have a break in period, when first saturating the liquid almost rolls off the cotton and at first the flavor tastes a bit off. After first or second redrip the break in period is over and to me, gives off better flavors, holds on to juice longer, allowing 1 or 2 more hits (@130watts i should add which is where i use it) and probably lasts a week more or less over cotton bacon.
I prefer pima, but both are worthy contenders.
Never tried rayon. Also tried various different organic jap cottons but i prefer cb and pima ovrr anything else.
Maybe one day ill get some rayon, probably not though =p

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't wash mine.

My juice soaked right in a vaped really nicely right off the bat. Just fluffed it a little. Had less break-in taste than the Japanese cotton it was replacing. Cant' hardly taste it at all today.

It was so good I went ahead and rewicked almost everything I have with it.

Still haven't tried the Cotton bacon.

Was asking because I finally got some cotton bacon and grabbed some Pima while I was at it because it was on sale super-cheap.

When no one answered this question yesterday I mentioned it in the refugee thread and everyone just said use rayon, lol, which I don't have on hand.

Just looking for a little insight.

I tried some rayon I got from a buddy to try out, its nice and had to adjust amount to use because it tends to shrink rather than expand like cotton.

Once I got it right, it tasted fine, no noticeable difference in taste of performance for me. I think people who enjoy Rayon are usually RDA fans that use high wattage. It does hold up toextreme heat better than cotton and since it does not expand, keep the liquid flowing faster for high performance needs.

Me, Im more of a "tootler" , I stay around .8 to 1.0 resistances on mechs and on the one reg, I never go over 11 watts.

I use KGD on some atties and use organic cotton balls for my drippers. Ive seen a few dozen cotton bacon videos and it looks and behaves like my organic cotton balls, so since I can get 300 organic cotton balls for about 15.00 , I just stick with that. In the craze for pima and bacon etc, I have about 11 boxes? half were gifted to me.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cotton bacon is great and initially is better since is has no real break in period and saturates instantly.
Pima however does have a break in period, when first saturating the liquid almost rolls off the cotton and at first the flavor tastes a bit off. After first or second redrip the break in period is over and to me, gives off better flavors, holds on to juice longer, allowing 1 or 2 more hits (@130watts i should add which is where i use it) and probably lasts a week more or less over cotton bacon.
I prefer pima, but both are worthy contenders.
Never tried rayon. Also tried various different organic jap cottons but i prefer cb and pima ovrr anything else.
Maybe one day ill get some rayon, probably not though =p

Okay, so you had the same thing happen initially with liquid rolling off. Do you use real heavy VG like me? Ive seen videos and on those Ive noticed the liquid looked thinner.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Okay, so you had the same thing happen initially with liquid rolling off. Do you use real heavy VG like me? Ive seen videos and on those Ive noticed the liquid looked thinner.
Yeah i use 80 to 90vg..
Drop in the well and on the coils, while trying to paint a little on the cotton ends. Fire. Not too much, i usually just like to see the coil suck up the juice, do it again. Maybe 3 times. By then the cotton should have soaked up all the goodness by then.
Also first few runs should give ya a weird taste, not funky but weird.
When that goes away its flavor city.
Thata my experience with it anyway, never tried it in tanks i guess its the same nonsense.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I used 50/50

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I probably didnt give it a good enough chance. I got it a few months ago and then I was still using expensive store bought NET and just did not want to keep trying to soak it in. I saw that it was repelling and after a few more drops, decided I did not want to waste my NET in what I figured was going to be futile.

I still have it, but think I will pass, It really silky and nice, I will keep it for my other hobby.

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have not tried the Pima but I have cotton bacon & Rayon & I will not buy the Rayon again as I too get a a funny taste out of it . I love the cotton bacon has more of a pure flavor taste

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have used Rayon, Cotton Bacon, and Japanese Cotton but I have had the best luck with Premium cotton pads from CVS that are designed for makeup removal. They say they are 100% cotton and I just remove the outher layer on both sides and they wick really nicely. I still have all three but prefer the cotton pads. They do have a little break in time but it's not bad at all.

Tol

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not tried the Pima but I have cotton bacon & Rayon & I will not buy the Rayon again as I too get a a funny taste out of it . I love the cotton bacon has more of a pure flavor taste
I get an off taste from Rayon if I don't wash my hands well enough before handling it. It goes away after a few hits though. It seems to pick up oils from your hands easily. Some folks just plain don't care for it. Kind of like NiChrome vs Kanthal, some people taste metals in one or the other, both, or neither.

I am going to need to order some PIMA to see how it compares for me to CB and Rayon.

sent using Tapatalk

Joshhm9x

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I loved cotton bacon, never tried PIMA. I've even played with mesh, my favorite wicking material was one from a group called Fiber Freaks (I think) they have a cotton/rayon blend that I love. None of that cotton break in taste plus long cotton life that doesn't burn all that easily. Plus if you mistakenly dry hit the burnt taste doesn't make you want to gag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hcdroid

Member For 4 Years
Tried SUPIMA cotton, not a fan- weird after taste. Perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance and enpugh time to break-in. Went back to Cotton bacon

VU Sponsors