Pipettes Vs. Syringes

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Which do you prefer, and why do you prefer one over the other? Or, do you have specific uses for each one?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
When I use either, it's typically a syringe or a glass dropper. I wash and re-use mine, but I'm not mixing for anyone but my boyfriend and myself. Larger mixes, I just use drops from the bottles and a scale.

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you do decide to use a pipette be sure to get a good glass one. I use a 10 ml glass pipette for my PG and VG. It has a much wider tip than any syringe I've found, making it much easier to draw up the thicker components. Additionally, I have a pipette pump on it. I also have to use it for my cinnamon and peppermint flavorings since they'll melt a plastic syringe.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Syringes all the way. If you make really small batches...my opinion is that it's just as easy to use drops straight from the flavoring bottle as it is pipettes. Can you tell I'm just NOT a pipette fan? LOL

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The pipettes I have are plastic and hard to see the measurements on them, so I mainly use them as droppers or to fill my tanks now. I don't use them or syringes nearly as much since I got my scale.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, you folks have definitely convinced me to go with syringes. I ordered a bunch of 1, 3, 5 & 10 ml/cc syringes and 18g blunt tips from Amazon.

Thanks!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I love Pipettes :)

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Which do you prefer, and why do you prefer one over the other? Or, do you have specific uses for each one?

I just started DIY, chose syringes - pipettes are easier cleanup wise supposedly if you just buy a ton and toss them .. the clean up for the syringes is minimal I feel so don't mind that .. plus the markings being more visible - next order you place though you might want to see if they carry 14g blunts .. I grabbed a couple of those just to make the VG easier to work with - that made a big difference :)

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was wondering about that... Thanks for the tip!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
These are sweet for VG. you can get them at walmart for like 2 bucks. You can get them super clean, the numbers never come off so there is no need for tape or nail polish, and they run very smoothly which is a plus for anyone you measures by weight. its not all jerky and bouncy like the more common syringes.

rsz_20150524_110826.jpg

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
12 gauge stainless blunt tips make vg a breeze.

I bought a flavor injector from Walmart and ground off the tip. Very similar to what's posted above.

Now though I mainly use squeeze bottles and pipettes since I measure by weight.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mixing by weight for a few months after using syringes for years. Some things that are helping me:

*VG: 100ml+ squeeze bottle (food dispenser)
*PG: 60ml+ squeeze bottle
*Distilled h2o: plastic dropper bottle stays in the fridge to slow microbe growth. Can also use the final containers' dropper while clean.
*Flavors: Everything is in dropper bottles, 2 dram dropper assemblies bought in bulk for WL vials. For the odd flavor with no dropper, I add it last with the finished container's clean glass dropper.
*NIC: GLASS dropper bottle, 30ml+. To minimize spillage/mess, don't fill past 9/10. Mixing for myself at 1-2mg, this lasts me like 2 months before refilling and keeps nic out of my kitchen sink from rinsing syringes.

Haven't had to throw anything away or make a trip to the sink as part of the mix process for weeks (besides cleaning empty bottles) and lovin it.

Also, if you're washing and reusing a lot, having a uniform set of glass boston rounds and droppers is king: the dishwasher/and or batch hot-soak is your friend. Disassemble the droppers and put them in one of those plastic mesh dishwasher-cage accessories. (Pinching each assembled dropper until it smells clean is a time-consuming, water-wasting PITA)

15ml glass is almost too small to justify getting the supplies out or washing the damn thing, go for 30ml!

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Mixing by weight for a few months after using syringes for years. Some things that are helping me:

*VG: 100ml+ squeeze bottle (food dispenser)
*PG: 60ml+ squeeze bottle
*Distilled h2o: plastic dropper bottle stays in the fridge to slow microbe growth. Can also use the final containers' dropper while clean.
*Flavors: Everything is in dropper bottles, 2 dram dropper assemblies bought in bulk for WL vials. For the odd flavor with no dropper, I add it last with the finished container's clean glass dropper.
*NIC: GLASS dropper bottle, 30ml+. To minimize spillage/mess, don't fill past 9/10. Mixing for myself at 1-2mg, this lasts me like 2 months before refilling and keeps nic out of my kitchen sink from rinsing syringes.

Haven't had to throw anything away or make a trip to the sink as part of the mix process for weeks (besides cleaning empty bottles) and lovin it.

Also, if you're washing and reusing a lot, having a uniform set of glass boston rounds and droppers is king: the dishwasher/and or batch hot-soak is your friend. Disassemble the droppers and put them in one of those plastic mesh dishwasher-cage accessories. (Pinching each assembled dropper until it smells clean is a time-consuming, water-wasting PITA)

15ml glass is almost too small to justify getting the supplies out or washing the damn thing, go for 30ml!
I bought a boat load of those 1 ml glass droppers at walmart to lol. they were like a dollar for a 2 pack. I grabbed the whole row, the lady at the check out counter looked at me like a weirdo ha. I had like 15 packs of those and did that like 3 weekends in a row. my only complaint about those is the rubber part, it wears out to fast but they are awesome ! they wash out very clean also. I would have stuck with those but I break as quick as I can buy them.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a boat load of those 1 ml glass droppers at walmart to lol. they were like a dollar for a 2 pack. I grabbed the whole row, the lady at the check out counter looked at me like a weirdo ha. I had like 15 packs of those and did that like 3 weekends in a row. my only complaint about those is the rubber part, it wears out to fast but they are awesome ! they wash out very clean also. I would have stuck with those but I break as quick as I can buy them.
I had a dozen or so glass pipette/droppers that I reused countless times, and then when committing to measuring by weight, I made a process "design" goal to spend less time at the sink and to limit spillage as much as possible. The latter point steered me from reusing/rinsing or disposable pipettes.

Success for me was making it so I can mix, and shake & vape without leaving my computer chair. I really like my flavors in glass bottles/droppers, but if/once I scale this operation commercially (that's the pie-in-the-sky plan someday), I'd have to buy bigger containers for everything... meh. Containers compatible with the arduino based automated mixing machine I'd like to build. Someday.

Last edited:

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pipettes are convenient but personally I use a small syringe for accuracy with nicotine to keep it contained and then I can cap it off when finished.
I use larger flat tipped industrial type syringes for flavoring.
Since I typically use high VG I then top off my mix using a large bottle with a pointed tip to fill up with veg and maybe a squirt or two from the pg bottle to help carry flavor better.

VU Sponsors