Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Gen by Vaporesso

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews. Today I will be going over the Gen kit by Vaporesso. The gen is the latest device from Vaporesso, and is a bit of a throwback type device, with some modern flair. This device, for the most part is relatively basic, with 220w of max power via the Axon chipset, has a magnetic battery door, centered 510, and features a super pleasurable rubberized-like coating. I will go over the mod, included SKRR-S tank, and have my final thoughts, as always, down at the bottom. Let’s get right to it eh?

• Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Vaporesso for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• Vaporesso Gen 220w mod
  • SKRR-S mesh sub-ohm tank
  • 2ml straight glass
  • 8ml bubble glass
  • 1 - .15-ohm Strip Coil
  • 1 - .20-ohm Mesh Coil
  • 2 Spare O-rings
  • 1 Micro USB cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in Silver, red/black fade, blue/black fade, and all black. All have a rubberized-like coating.

STOCK SHOT
wGYsS8s.jpg

PACKAGING
QWEHPa5.jpg

UNBOXED
wS6yoDE.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

• 220W max output
  • Dual 18650 battery
  • 146mm x 54mm x 30mm – no clue where they came up with 30mm, mine is about 26.5mm wide at the middle
  • Max Atomizer diameter of 26mm without overhang
  • Resistance range of .03-5 ohms
  • AXON Chipset
  • Multiple modes for power and TC operation
  • OLED Display
  • Common protections we are used to seeing on regulated devices
  • Magnetic battery door

OPERATION

The Gen features the AXON chipset. This is my first time using this chipset thus far, and I found it to be simple, old school in appearance, and easy to navigate. There are just a few button combos to figure out, and then the rest is laid on right on screen to walk the user through.

BUTTON COMBOS

• 5 clicks of the fire button turns the device on and off
  • 3 clicks of the fire button locks the menu and up/down buttons
  • Long press or 3 clicks of the enter button enters the menu

MENU SYSTEM

Once in the menu, you will find that it always starts with DIY mode as the first window. Hitting the up and down buttons will move the menu scroller left or right. Hitting the enter button will access the selected menu.

MENU BREAKDOWN

• Pulse mode – supposed to boost flavor and produce more of a cloud. :p – silly Vaporesso
  • Power Eco mode – helps conserve battery
  • STC Mode – Smart TC – Automatically detects coil and runs in TC
  • DIY Mode – This mode has several modes within

• Wattage – Soft, Medium, hard preheat
  • TC – Ti, Ni, SS, Memory1 – all have adjustable TCR and preheat up to 220w
  • Variable Voltage – 0-9V adjusted in .01V increments
  • CCW – Wattage curves mode
  • BP – Bypass mode
  • SP – Super player Mode – supports resistance to the full range of .03-5 ohms

• System Set – Misc. Settings

• Puff Counter
  • Brightness
  • Flip Screen Orientation
  • Auto On/Off
  • Default – Reset entire device
  • Version – Firmware/Hardware info

HOW IT VAPES

I did a full test on this one. I had received some flack for not covering TC on my review of the Swell Kit, so I figured I better try and cover all the bases. I am primarily a wattage vapor, and hardly ever us TC, which is why I always recommend hitting up some other guys like DJSLB or Anthony Vapes, of which test the actual output, where I base my TC on how easy it is set up and how it “feels”. To start off, I tested this with both coils that came with the SKRR-S tank, a few RTAs in wattage mode. I found that this has no issues applying the power desired. It feels solid, even on the normal preheat, and on the high preheat it ramps up incredibly fast, even on larger mass builds. This isn’t a real shock to me, as Vaporesso has not let me down with their past chipsets. The real question that many will ask about is TC, so here is what I found. I tested both the Smart TC and the SS settings. With Smart TC, it struggled to pick up my atomizer correctly, and all it did was do a little detection screen and go into pulse mode. I tried two different rdas with SS coils and had the same result, so I don’t know what is up with that. However, when I stuck this on to TC for SS, I found that it performed quite well. Even at the factory SS settings it controlled the temperature smoothly and backed off just in time, but almost a little late. I have no doubt that fully functional TC is capable with some minor tweaks to the TCR. One nice thing about this TC setup is that it allows you to set up the TCR and preheat, up to 220w, as you are entering the TC mode. It is easily displayed and takes no fiddling around. As I always do in my how it vapes section, I go over the included tank, so let’s hit that now.

SKRR-S TANK REVIEW

The tank which comes with the Gen is an updated SKRR tank, with the -S at the end. The original SKRR I tested came with the Luxe kit. There are just a few differences in the two. They ditched the locking (via drip tip) sliding top fill, and went to a traditional threaded top cap. Other than that, the only other thing I noticed was the lack of the silly silicone glass guard. This time around though, the coils are switched up. They still have the anti-spit back insert in the core of the coils which was on the QF coils in the SKRR tank, but I had .18-ohm coils before instead of .15 and .20-ohm with this. I distinctively remember enjoying the flavor of those coils on the SKRR tank, and even went back to my review to confirm that. I felt like these are not that great and nowhere near what I experienced before! They took roughly one full tank to break in, and they struggled to keep up with wicking, so I found the vape to taste kind of dry and on the verge of burning. I got sick of the flavor and near burnt experience to the point where I stopped using each coil after about 20mls or so. Both coils performed very close to one another. Thankfully, the threading of this tank allows this to be Baby Beast and GT coil compatible. This opens the door to a literal shit-ton of coil options, with some of the GT coils on the market being the popular vote amongst users. That is the saving grace for this one, as it’s a run of the mill tank that at least makes it great for a beginner with coils available like…everywhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK PROS

• Smooth draw
  • 8ml capacity
  • Looks decent on the Gen
  • Baby Beast / GT coil compatible
  • Never had any leakage at all

TANK CONS

• Flavor is meh
  • Coil life is not the best
  • Wicking didn’t keep up with liquids as thin as 70/30
  • 810 drip tip requires spares to have built in O-rings
  • Top cap threading could be better
  • Only has a single fill port which isn’t that huge

PHOTO GALLERY

Gen Album

iz8YRJt.jpg

nmSCAYo.jpg

2qKdFKI.jpg

iSxaIQf.jpg

021g5q8.jpg

Lr8lu4V.jpg

Tx45ogm.jpg

DcNl23b.jpg

RVlCWPN.jpg

B8AcIux.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so what do I think of the Gen? I dig it, but I am not in love with it. I like that it has a classic style, which keeps it simple. The rubberized finish is probably what sticks out the most, as it feels SOOOO good in hand. The ergonomics combined with that texture makes it an absolute joy to use. I have no issues with overall build quality and the finish appears to be quite durable. Even the battery tray and magnetic door are done right, with the only con being black on black battery markings. The menu system is laid out really well, and it functions great for wattage and TC. I still don’t understand some of the features Vaporesso is trying to pack in here, such as modes that don’t seem to do anything, or quite work right, but at least they are trying to do something new, I guess? I found myself thoroughly enjoying this device and it is something I can see many bragging up. One of the only cons that I can pick apart on mine is the silver color and gold accents. I would love to see silver accents and a color other than silver for my personal use, but hey, it is what it is. One of the only other cons I have is that the included SKRR-S tank is not that great, but at least it is a baby beast / GT coil option for a beginner, which means that this setup can keep on ticking for a long time into the future. If you are shopping for something simple that just works and feels like it is built to last, I don’t think you could go wrong with it.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? I would totally let it burn, then go pick me up the snazzy blue or red versions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Classic look
  • Simple menu system
  • Looks and feels premium
  • Packed with lots of functional options (some that aren’t)
  • Rubberized coating seems to be durable and feels amazing in hand
  • Ergonomic for left hand or right-hand use
  • Centered 510 for all of us OCD folks out there

CONS

• Menu has some bloated settings that I don’t think add to the vape experience much
  • SKRR-S tank in the kit is meh
  • 26mm max diameter, even though every site, included Vaporesso claim it is 30mm wide in the middle
  • Gold button and logos

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Vaporesso for sending this my way for review. I am seeing this listed as a kit online for about $65 and just under $50 for mod only. I would suggest going mod only unless you are just getting into a kit like this. The tank isn’t terrible for a beginner, but long-time vapors won’t enjoy it.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors