Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Kroma-A iSub B kit by Innokin

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Innokin Kroma-A kit with the iSub B tank. The Kroma-A device has been out for a while, and this is the third release from Innokin, but this time it features their new iSub B tank. This mod has a built-in 2000mah battery, small form factor, and operates from 6-75w. I have been testing the iSub B for quite a while. I was going to review it as the tank itself, but when I found I was getting it with this kit, I held off. I tested a prototype, a retail model, and now I have the one with the kit. Let’s dive down and see if this release of the Kroma will be as popular as previous models.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Innokin for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 – Innokin Kroma-A mod w/ built in 2000mah battery
  • 1 - iSub B sub-ohm tank
  • 2 - .35-ohm plex 3d mesh coils
  • 1 – micro usb charging cable
  • 1 – vape band
  • 1 - spare
  • 1 – 3ml straight iridescent tinted glass
  • 1 – 4ml clear bubble glass
  • 1 – set of spare o-rings
  • Paperwork

Available in Gunmetal, Rose Gold, and Stainless Steel

Packaging
OqGmhaM.jpg

Out of Box
QRSAyvK.jpg

Stock Shot
exl96lN.jpg

OPERATION /UI

Simplicity is key with the Kroma-A. Unlike many devices, 3 clicks of the fire button will turn the device on and off. Another interesting thing that Innokin likes to do is a semi locked function for adjustment. Holding the up or down buttons for a long press will cause the number to flash, and at that point you can adjust the wattage or temperature. I would be totally fine if every device did this. It makes it nearly impossible to accidentally adjust, but you don’t have to do a full lock or unlock. One thing I don’t’ like however, is that there is no lock for the fire button. For safety reasons, you will have to shut it all the way down before pocketing or tossing this in a purse or bag. To change from wattage mode into TC, press the fire button and the up or down button simultaneously. Once in TC, pressing the fire button and down button together will highlight the preheat wattage so it can be adjusted. Pressing the up and down buttons together will reveal a puff counter and the battery voltage. If you keep holding them down, it will flip the screen.

I never once felt like I needed to grab the manual for this device. It was easy to figure out on my own and I can see the simplicity being a huge plus for beginners.

HOW IT VAPES

The majority of my testing was done with the included iSub B tank. I tried out a couple of comparable tanks and mtl atomizers, but I did not do a temp control test. This device has been out for a while and there’s been thorough TC testing done in the past, so I elected to let the guys with the fancy equipment do that part. (looking at you DJSLB and Anthony Vapes). With the lower power needs of the 3D coils, I found that the iSub B seems right at home on top of the Kroma-A mod. However, with just a 2000 mah battery, I felt like it was just barely big enough to get me through the day. I found myself charging it here and there just for peace of mind. One of my favorite aspects of the device is how small and comfortable it is. The textured portion on the back is a bonus, as it gives an otherwise very smooth mod some much needed grip. For a small mod, it feels well built. The finish looks great, and the only rattle I had was just a tiny bit from the adjustment buttons. Like I always do with kits, I will go over the included tank.

This iSub-B is Innokin’s latest competitor in the mesh tank market. It holds 3 or 4ml of e liquid depending on what glass you use, and it uses the new 3D mesh coils. These .35-ohm coils don’t require a ton of power to perform and I used them from 45-55 depending on the liquid. One of the best aspects I found to the 3D plex coils is their life. For the most part, I was getting 50-60mls of life no problem, and at that point they weren’t even that bad. I tested several coils over the last month and had a couple in there that didn’t perform as well. It seemed like they struggled to wick, and it led to dry hits. I had to pop the top of the tank to start seeing bubbles, but they never really broke in and I battle dry hits. Other than those couple of dud coils, I found that many perform well. Break in time was minimal, and the flavor that they provide is pretty dang good. The air flow on the iSub B is more restricted than many of the tanks on the market. It is a draw that I am finding myself gravitate to more and more all the time, so I dig it. After using these tanks for a while, there is only one glaring con that I found, and it is the refill method. I never had any mishaps, but the whole top is unscrewed, exposing the entire space around the chimney and nothing holds the glass at this point other than the bottom o-ring. If you have a loose o-ring, or bump this too hard, the glass will pop off and that won’t be fun at all. One last thing I will point out about the tank that I don’t think is a pro or a con, but it has a juice flow control method built into the chimney. Basically, when you pull the top cap off, an outer sleeve on the chimney will come up as you unscrew, and it closes off the juice flow inlets to the coil. It is pretty cool, but I am not sure how effective it is. By the time you close the cap, bubbles start going so it’s wicking like crazy at that point due to the pressure. I still made sure to vape a couple of times right after a refill to alleviate any excessive liquid in the coil that would result in a leak out of the air flow, which is something I never witnessed during my time with this tank.

Final thoughts on this tank….I like it, but it doesn’t blow me away. It is an affordable tank that has good coils and decent flavor. It pairs well with the Kroma-A mod and is something I have been using a ton of.

TANK PROS

• Decent flavor
  • Cheap Price
  • Perfect, semi-restricted air flow
  • Minimal on leaking (I saw only condensation, and no major leaking at all)

TANK CONS

• Some coils were inconsistent with wicking
  • Iridescent glass classes with Kroma-A color scheme
  • Refilling exposes the entire top and could result in spills if not careful

PHOTO GALLERY

bYB3Hi5.jpg

4G6NZQf.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

So, Innokin believes in the Kroma so heavily that we are on release #3. After using this device extensively for a few weeks, I believe in it too. It is small, comfortable, simple, and looks great. I love the rose gold that I got but think all of the colors look great. I actually struggled to come up with cons for this device. It just works for what it is, and it does it well. It fits into a market for people who don’t need massive amounts of power and comes paired with a decent tank. The iSub B has been used a lot by me and it too has been pretty dang good. It is a simple, kind of old school style tank, but combined with their 3D mesh coils, it provides good flavor. I would rank it in the middle road of mesh tanks out there. Not the greatest, but it is acceptable. This tank pairs up well with the Kroma A so I completely understand why Innokin went ahead and released it again. This is probably one of the best starter kits I have tested. It is simple, has great coil life, and won’t break the bank.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? For now, yes. It is one of my favorite built-in battery devices.

PROS

• Smallsize
  • Ergonomic
  • Simple operating system
  • Affordable

CONS

• Some color combos don’t match, and the iridescent glass doesn’t match any of the colors
  • Inconsistent coils with iSub B tank
  • Battery is just barely big enough for me, and I can see it having too little mah for many people

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Innokin for sending it my way to review. I am not seeing this kit up on a ton of sites just yet, but from what I see, it will be around $50.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors