Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Pico X by Eleaf

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Pico X kit by Eleaf. The Pico X is the latest device in the long running Pico series from Eleaf. When I first started vaping, the original Pico was one of the top devices for new vapors. They were compact, simple, and just worked. Eleaf keeps on tweaking the series with different options and each of them brings something new to the table. This time around, they shrunk it down to be the smallest, most ergonomic Pico yet. It comes complete with a rubberized finish, grippy contours, the Melo 4 (D22) tank, and is powered by a single 18650. Let’s dive down and do a little run down on the operation, how it vapes, and as always, I will give my final thoughts down at the bottom!

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Eleaf for Review

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Eleaf Pico X 75w mod
  • 1 Melo 4 tank
  • 2 .15-ohm mesh coils
  • Spare parts bag
  • Paperwork
Available in black, silver, green, red, and blue.

PACKAGING
zFXDjx7.jpg

OUT OF BOX
OBN5uRA.jpg

STOCK SHOT
2kVUidI.jpg

FEATURES

I pretty much listed all the features right in the intro. This version of the Pico is very simple and doesn’t offer a ton of new things or gimmicky features. What you get is a VERY small, single 18650 device, which uses the same old Pico threaded battery cover we all know. The compact size also means that the largest atomizer you can use is 22mm. If you attempt to go larger, the battery cover will hit, and prevent that from happening. The maximum wattage of the device is 75w and can be used in wattage mode, bypass mode, various temp control modes, and TC memory modes. All the functions are easy to figure out, but I will do a quick run-down next.

OPERATION

Like most devices, this all starts off with a 5 click of the fire button. It will also power down with the same process. To change modes, click the fire button 3 times and cycle through the modes in this order.

• Wattage
  • Bypass
  • Temp Control Ni
  • Temp Control Ti
  • Temp Control SS
  • Temp Control Memory 1
  • Temp Control Memory 2
  • Temp Control Memory 3

To lock the device, press down the up and down buttons at the same time and repeat to unlock. The device will still fire when locked.

Another note about temp control. When in one of the TC modes, press the fire button 4 times to set the preheat wattage

To make further changes, hold down the fire button and the up button together to enter the main menu. This then shows the same old menus we have seen for a while with these devices. A spot for tweaking what you see on the main screen, stealth mode, preheat setting, puff vape time limit, hardware/firmware info, and battery voltage. Nothing too crazy to get lost in with these settings which is a pro for new vapors.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

OBN5uRA.jpg

D2n42uv.jpg

2grRW5h.jpg

w5TSEAy.jpg

pYpFwt5.jpg

8jENfnQ.jpg

3DZxTzU.jpg

HOW IT VAPES

The experience you will get from this Pico is going to be very dependent on the atomizer used. Due to the size of the mod I was extremely limited on what I could run on this one. I tested a few MTL atomizers, but for the most part I rocked the included Melo 4 tank so that is going to be a big factor in my opinions of the device. This version of the Melo measures in at 22mm wide and holds 2ml of e liquid. It uses .15-ohm EC-M mesh coils, which are designed to operate at 30-75w. I typically ran it at 50-55w during my testing and it feels pretty good right there. The flavor and vapor production from these coils are good. Much better than I expected from such a small atty. It has a convenient slide to fill design and the 510-drip tip is comfortable on the lips. It does have a few cons though. The capacity is probably my biggest gripe. At just 2ml, I found myself filling this thing up non-stop. Each little vaping session was one full tank, so that got a bit old. The air flow control ring is kind of odd to adjust. There is no knurling or ribs to grab on to, and the battery cover blocks you from getting a grip on it. Hardly a con since you shouldn’t have to adjust this much, but still must be pointed out. I mentioned above how the flavor and vapor is good, but I did have some odd moments where the tank would get air locked and I would get a dry hit. This happened a fair amount of times to me and greatly reduced coil life I am sure. Keep in mind that this was 70/30 e-liquid and not all liquids wick the same. Even with these few dry hits I was able to use the coil into the 40-50ml mark before it was unbearably burnt tasting, so not bad at all there.

TANK PROS

• Good Flavor
  • Snug, sliding top fill (shouldn’t pop open in pocket)
  • Matches mod nicely
  • Coil life

TANK CONS

• Liquid Capacity
  • Occasional dry hits with 70/30 e-liquid
  • Smooth AFC ring hard to grip

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FINAL THOUGHTS

Let’s see, final thoughts, final thoughts. I don’t love it, I don’t hate it. I love that this device is as small as it is. It is a good, simple device for a new vapor and the included Melo 4 tank provides a good vape, as long as you carry your bottle with you to refill it all the time. Battery life with the included tank just about got me all the way to the end of a work day, but not all the way. When paired with a 25w MTL RTA, battery life was not an issue, so that is always an option for those who don’t want to carry a spare battery with them. I love how small the thing is. It is very comfortable in the hand and feels like a solidly built device. The buttons on the bottom are a little weird to get used to, but they don’t need to be fiddled with that often anyway (at least they shouldn’t have to). My mod would ask me if I put a new atomizer on almost every time this thing sat for more than 15 minutes. I would grab it and go to vape, and nothing. Only to see the battery question on the screen. I would then have to hit the down button and then vape. This was VERY frustrating to say the least and is by far the biggest con I found with it. I don’t know why it did this, but it did, and irked me in a bad way. Other than that, the Pico X has just some nitpicky cons. With the compact nature of the device, you are limited to 22mm atomizers. That’s seriously one of the only cons with it other than the new atomizer prompt. I see this being a good device for a new vapor. It is easy to use and has no frills to confuse someone new to the game. It also is a great mod for lower wattage MTL atomizers.

THE OVEN TEST

If this device went into the oven, would I go out and get another one? No. Like I said above, I feel this fits best for new vapors and those who run MTL gear and I don’t do the latter too often.

PROS

• Ergonomic
  • Compact
  • Simple
  • Lightweight
  • No rattles
  • Rubberized finish feels great

CONS

• Only fits up to 22mm atomizers
  • New atomizer prompt came up way too often (could be a review product quality issue)

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Eleaf for sending it my way for review! I am not seeing this widely released just yet, but it looks like it will be selling for about $45 for the kit.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors