Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Trident by Vandy Vape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews and today I will be reviewing the Trident kit by Vandy Vape. The Trident is essentially what you get when you mix a traditional stick style device with something like a Jackaroo or Aegis by Geekvape. This is an IP67 rated device, which means it is shockproof, water resistant, and dust proof. Beyond that, it is a run of the mill 100w stick, which is powered by a single 18650 battery. I have been reviewing quite a few stick mods this spring, so let’s dive down and see how this one stacks up to the competition.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Vandy Vape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Trident 100w stick
  • 1 Trident sub-ohm tank
  • 2 .15-ohm mesh coils
  • Spare parts bag
  • 3.5ml straight glass
  • 5.5ml bubble glass
  • USB cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in black, green, tan, and gray.

STOCK SHOT
k3O9fEL.jpg

PACKAGING
JufmWuS.jpg

UNBOXED
FZqFf9Q.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

There isn’t much extra to add in here that I didn’t already mention in the intro. The Trident is a stick style device, powered by a single 18650. It can reach a maximum output of 100w, is IP67 rated, comes with the Trident sub-ohm tank, and has some LEDs on the firing button that show faults and battery indication. It comes in 4 subtle colors that look a bit more on the rugged side, and each one is made up of a rubber coating over a solid feeling device. The battery is installed via a threaded bottom cap, which has a large O-ring to seal off against moisture. Since this is a stick style device, it features a simple operating style, which is great for beginners, but also handy for long-time vapers as well.

OPERATION

To start off, pop a battery in the bottom via the threaded cap. The threads are smooth, and nice and long. They offer a solid feeling seal when the O-ring makes contact with the mod, and there is zero battery rattle. It will fire up when batteries are installed but can also be turned off and on by clicking the fire button 5 times. There is not a power level adjustment on this device, and no boost chip, so the voltage of the battery is what you get for output. Upon powerup you will notice that the fire button has two LEDs on it, which will flash for fault conditions, but also indicate battery level.

Purple – 70-100%

Blue - 30-70%

Red - < 30%

They claim that the red light will flash 5 times and shut down when battery voltage is at 2.8v. I found that mine did this when the voltage was under 3.2v. I am a bit happier with that discharge level. However, I did not have good luck with the other indications. Mine essentially stayed purple for longer than down to 70%. The power output and vapor production had a noticeable drop throughout the time where it was still on purple. The blue hits, followed quickly by red. I found that when I got to blue, I could MAYBE squeeze out about one full tank before I needed a new battery. I could vape 2 full tanks when on purple for the most part.

Beyond the basic operation and battery indication there isn’t a whole lot more to talk about, other than how it vapes.

HOW IT VAPES

Like most stick style devices, I tend to test them with the tank that they come with. One could venture out and put whatever they want on this, as long as the resistance is .1 – 3-ohms according to the paperwork provided. My testing was done with the Trident tank, which is the same tank that came on the Jackaroo kit, but now it has a name. I review that tank along with the Jackaroo a while back now, and I found that tank to be quite nice. I was able to get amazing coil life from it, along with great flavor, and it offers a nice pairing on top of the Trident mod. The power output with a full battery is spot on to the way I like to vape it. It is not the 100w as all the paperwork suggests, but it feels very close to 80 when comparing to regulated mods I had sitting near it (Paranormal and Shogun). That is right in the middle road of where the coils say their “happy place” is, so I am good with that. However, since there is no boost chip in this device, the battery fizzles out after about 1 tank and it gets cooler and cooler. The best vape experience I get from this is in that first tank for sure, and it gets less satisfying thereafter. I mentioned in the operation section how mine basically sits on purple throughout the life of the battery, then it is a rather quick blue/red LED after that. I was able to squeeze out two full tanks on purple, but at the tail end of the second one, it goes blue. The last tank I vape is a very cool vape, with a large reduction in flavor and vapor. Depending on batteries, this could change a bit. I was using Samsung 25R and Sony VTC5a, as I do in most of my single cell devices, but even though they are 2500mah, I feel like they are still a solid option for this device from a safety standpoint.

TANK REVIEW

I already reviewed this tank along with the Jackaroo, so there isn’t a whole lot I am going to say here. It is a good fit for the Trident mod and offers excellent flavor with its mesh coils. I have very little gripes when it comes to this tank. It has a good 5.5ml capacity, which lasts a fair amount of time. The top fill method is a quarter turn with a large single hole, so that works well also. Coil life is excellent on these, as I found them to be right up there with the best I have tried. I vape sweet liquids quite often and found that I could easily get 50-60ml through a single coil before it is shot. In fact, I have been vaping my Trident kit for two weeks, and I vaped an entire bottle of Lemon Twist e-liquid just to use it up. If you are familiar with this brand, it is LOADED with sweetener. It is way too sweet for me, so I elected to torture test these coils, and found that I was able to vape away the entire 60ml bottle and the performance was still acceptable at the end. This tank has a lot of good things going for it, and I have still been using the one that came with my Jackaroo kit a couple of months back. One of the only negative things I could point out about the tank is the use of clear O-rings, as these tend to look like crap over time, especially with darker e-liquid. Not bad, not bad at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK PROS

• Good Flavor
  • Great coil life
  • Quarter turn refill is great
  • Matches mod nicely
  • Experienced ZERO leaking even when a coil was about shot

TANK CONS

• Clear O-rings get stained with darker liquids
  • Some might find the use of a 510-drip tip a con, so I will list it here, but not really a con for me

PHOTO GALLERIES

D6c0sMR.jpg

TNM9TMh.jpg

ePEygK5.jpg

vZd6ebq.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FINAL THOUGHTS

Overall, I like what I get out of the Trident. It is a decent little stick that is easy to grab on the go, and has that feel of a durable, water proof style device, as we have seen with Geekvape’s Aegis series of mods or the VV Jackaroo released a month back. I like the feel and durability of many of these rugged devices. They fit my lifestyle perfectly, as I work in construction. I hate bringing my nice mods to work out of fear that they will get dinged up, so something like this fits right in with my lifestyle. The battery life from a single 18650 was not quite enough to get a satisfying vape for an entire work day. I would have loved to see this made with a 21700, but it is what it is. The lack of a boost chip means you are going to get “mech-life” performance, and like I mentioned in the how it vapes section, the enjoyment quickly drops off as the voltage does. I found myself with battery anxiety quick a bit with this as well, as the voltage LEDs don’t indicate voltage correctly and it goes from GOOD to DEAD in a matter of part of a tank. Granted, when used for a while, one can get a feel for when the voltage is dropping off, but it still sucks to grab it on the go and see that it is in the purple, only to have it drop to blue after a few puffs. I like a lot of the things that this mod offers, such as the tank, the rugged design, and the form factor. However, the performance that suffers from voltage drop, coupled with poor battery indication pushes me away from wanting to take this with me daily. If you need a rugged stick style device, this will serve that purpose, however, you are going to want to bring spare batteries with you.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? This is a no from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• IP67 rated (shockproof, water resistance, dust-proof)
  • Feels great in hand
  • Good sub-ohm tank included
  • Looks cool in my opinion

CONS

• Lack of boost chip
  • Poor battery indication
  • Single 18650, would have been pro to be 21700

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Vandy Vape for sending this my way for review. If the Trident has peaked your interest, it can be found online for $50 on average, but these are pre-orders. We will see what happens once it hits the stores.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors