Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Pod System Review - The Battlestar Baby by Smoant

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Battlestar Baby by Smoant. Yes…. another pod system review… I know I know… Well…. this is the latest pod system from Smoant, and is more of a traditional pod, with a lot less hype behind it than the Pasito released before it, but it does have a nifty little secret. This shouldn’t take too long to go over, so let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This device and liquid was sent to me by Smoant for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Battlestar Baby 750mah device
  • 1 2.0mL pod
  • 1 1.6-ohm ni80 coil
  • 1 .2-ohm mesh coil
  • Lanyard/USB-C charging cable
  • Paperwork

Available in 6 different colors w/ accents in similar tones. These are Black, Red, Stainless Steel (my sample), Gunmetal, Blue, and Green.

STOCK SHOT
g7xHg9W.jpg

SAMPLE PACKAGING
d0hFIbV.jpg

OUT OF BOX
mNkBRan.jpg

MISC. INFORMATION

• Measurements – 45mm x 60 mm x 15mm
  • Battery – 750mah
  • Materials – Zinc alloy with “CPR” side accent panels
  • Capacity – 2.0mL
  • Other features – USB-C charging cable built into the lanyard

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Well…out of the box I was rather impressed with this little guy! It feels quite solid, it has some nice styling, and it is very compact. Some of the standout items that jumped out right away were the USB-C charge port, air activated fire mechanism, and a pod which has replaceable coils. The side panels are covered with essentially a thick sticker, which gives it a nice grip and offers a decent amount of styling to the device. Remember that little secret from my intro? Well, that secret is that this device comes with a lanyard!!! Not impressive at first, until you release the end from the portion that attached to the device, then it reveals that this lanyard is also the charge cable. This is just cool. While not practical for everyone, it is still something innovative and unique.

OPERATION

There isn’t much to know about the operation of the Battlestar Baby. This device has no buttons and is operated with an auto-draw switch. They did, however, initiate this switch in a new way (or at least I haven’t seen it before). There is a tube that passes all the way through the pod and out the mouthpiece. This means that no residual liquid in the base of the pod can mess this switch up and it is almost always guaranteed to fire. I love the responsiveness of this auto-draw switch and it isn’t so sensitive that it fires on it’s own in windy conditions. The only other notes about use have to do with battery indication, which is completed via an LED on the side. This led is White when the battery is between 60-100%, Blue from 20-60%, and red below that point. They claim that there are different variances in the color of the light essentially fading from white to blue to purple to red as it goes down, but to my eyes, all I see are about three stages. If you pay close attention, you may see these different stages better than I can, either that, or I just wasn’t checking it that often. Regardless, it works just fine and at least it is some sort of multiple stage indication.

PODS

The pods on this device are nothing too crazy, other than the air tube through them. They are filled via a rubber plug on the side and they have replaceable coils which simply pull right out the bottom. The fill port could be a little larger, but I didn’t have any struggles with any of the plastic tipped bottles I tried. The capacity sits at 2ml and is enough to get through a day for me. The pods are held into place with magnets, but they are a bit on the loose side. Not awful but could be tighter. Rather run of the mill in the pod department, but the biggest factor to look at with these is the draw and flavor, so let’s jump to the next section.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

VxwJFxr.jpg

ifVJB30.jpg

aMpJd9a.jpg

lniltXM.jpg

udyquVe.jpg

PPYAtuw.jpg

S9lF8Ic.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so you know most of the ins and outs of the device overall, so let’s see how this vapes. I wasn’t expecting a lot from this, as I have seen soooo many pod systems this year. However, upon first puff, this made me go wow. The flavor is quite good from BOTH of the coils. This is easily in my top 3 for pod systems this year. The 1.2-ohm coil is a little bit more restricted and offers a middle of the road MTL draw. The .6-ohm coil is about twice as loose, leaving it still in that MTL realm, but could be classified as a tight direct lung inhale. I was using 25mg nic salts with both of the coils and found this to satisfy my desires for nicotine hit, and flavor. Both of these coils also offer a nice crackle to the vape that is oh so satisfying. I went through roughly 10ml on the mesh coil before switching to the 1.2-ohm to test it out and went through about the same as the time of writing this. Neither was as good as new at that point, but I could see getting a few more refills in before having to toss them. The battery life was enough to get me through a full day with both coils, but the 1.2-ohm was just barely hitting blue at the end of a day, while the .6-ohm was hitting blue much earlier. The vape performance starts to taper off when it gets close to that 50% or lower mark, and it is noticeable but still gets by just fine. I don’t really have a ton to complain about with this at all. Some little cons I found during use was the smaller fill port, so that could be better. Another thing I noticed was some liquid seepage at the base of the pod after a day or two of use. A quick wipe and I was good to go, but it kind of sucks to have to do that as often as I had to. Other than these couple of things, I have nothing but good things to say. I really like it, well done Smoant.

THE OVEN TEST

If this one accidentally went into the pizza oven, would I go out and buy another? I never really say yes to this with pod systems, as so many come out. This is good enough to give it a solid consideration for replacement.

PROS

• Good flavor
  • Built solidly
  • Looks nice
  • Neat charger/lanyard
  • Smooth auto-draw switch

CONS
  • Minor leaking at the pod base
  • Fill port is a little small
  • Air flow is not adjustable

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Smoant for sending this my way for review. I am seeing these popping up online for about $30 online.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors