Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Pod System Review - The Jester by Vapefly

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Jester by Vapefly. This is one of only a few rebuildable pod systems hitting the market, which makes it quite unique. The Jester, at first glance, appears to be a relatively normal pod system. However, you will find that it has a much higher output on many on the market and comes with a rebuildable pod which is built more like an RDTA than other rebuildables out there. With its unique nature, I was super excited to get my hands on this one, so let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This device and liquid was sent to me by Vapefly for review.

ANNOUNCEMENT: We all know that there are regulations in the works between the Trump administration and the FDA. I am going to continue on with these reviews and be optimistic that this brings the truth to light in these dark times. I want to reach out to this great community and voice that the time is now for us to band together and stand against the bans we all fear. Please sign this petition even though it has surpassed 100,000 KEEP IT GOING! Reach out to anyone you can in legislation, flood the white house call line, flood Trump’s twitter, and keep fighting together. We can’t lose steam when the headlines slow down. We need to be strong; we need to be persistent, and we need to be doing this TOGETHER. Power comes in numbers, and we have the numbers. I just have one reminder during all of this. Please be respectful, be courteous, and hold conversations about this issue with dignity and positive vibes only. Negativity is not the answer and putting down those who are proponents only makes us look worse as a group. Alright… that is all I am going to have for advocacy today…let’s get back to the review!

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Vapefly Jester device
  • 1 .5-ohm mesh pod
  • 1 Rebuildable pod
  • 2 1-ohm round coil
  • 1 bag of cotton
  • T-handle tool
  • Spare O-rings and screws
  • Spare pod seals
  • Micro USB
  • Paperwork

Available in a bunch of different colors in patterns, some being basic, others being rather out there. See the stock shot photo for each.

STOCK SHOT
2FaaCbD.jpg

SAMPLE PACKAGING
oxsxqxy.jpg

OUT OF BOX
XQbFmWC.jpg

DETAILS

• BATTERY – 1000mah
  • SIZE – 91mm x 33mm x 18.2mm
  • OUTPUT – Adjustable in 3 stages. 3.3v, 3.8v, and 4.8v
  • FIRING MECHANISM – Button Fire
  • CAPACITY – 2ml
  • BUILD RANGE - .8 to 1.5 ohms is recommended

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Out of the box, I felt like they should have toned down the patterns. It is the first thing that jumped out at me. However, the overall build quality felt great, and the finish is slightly rubberized and feels awesome. The fire button sticks out just a hair, so my thumb found it every time I wanted to fire it. The second thing that jumped out at me was the two-button pod release which is another great feature. Once I dug into the pods, a few other things stood out. One, with the replaceable pod, the top hinges open, but does not hinge when on the device due to a poor design. As for the rebuildable pod, the entire top cap comes on, so you can drip into this, or pop the top to access the deck to rebuild or refill the pod.

OPERATION

Other than the rebuildable nature of this device, it is rather run of the mill. Five clicks of the fire button will turn the device on and off, two clicks of the fire button will show the battery level with LEDS, and three clicks of the fire button changes the power output. The output is rather impressive and goes as follows.

• RED – 3.3V
  • BLUE – 3.8V
  • GREEN – 4.8V YES 4.8V

I mentioned viewing the battery level with two clicks, but neither the manual nor their site show what these mean, so I am just going to take a stab at it based on use.

• RED – 0-30%
  • BLUE – 30-70%
  • GREEN – 70-100%
It must be somewhere in that range.

Other bits you may want to know about operation. The .5-ohm mesh pod will only work at 3.3 or 3.8V. If you have it on the green 4.8V setting the device will just flash at you. This is nice, as it will keep you from burning up this little mesh coil.

PODS

The refillable mesh pod is rather generic. The mouthpiece hinges out of the way, exposing a decent sized refill port. The rebuildable is a bit different. The entire mouthpiece pops off, exposing a rubber plug similar to the mesh pod. I don’t mind the refill method, but they have glaring cones. For one, the hinging top doesn’t hinge if the pod is on the device. They should have given it some better clearances with a redesign to allow it to open. The other con is the pods are way too dark, so it is difficult to see liquid level unless you shine a light behind them.

The rebuildable pod is pretty neat. It features a small 2 post design, which is easy to build on. Unlike the Smoant Pasito, you don’t need to be an expert to build on this. Wicking was also simple, just be sure to wick long enough to get down into the tank section so it can wick. One thing I liked about the design as well is the ability to see how dirty the build was with ease. One thing I don’t like about their design is that you are forced to build this on the pod system, meaning you are going to want to know the ohms of the coil using something like steam engine or vape tool ahead of time. This will ensure you have a proper build in the correct range for the device.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

tFRvkU1.jpg

PrKwjfb.jpg

1b4o847.jpg

mxcHcoj.jpg

aECV1an.jpg

4Trekm5.jpg

9oGBg3L.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

When thinking of how this vapes, I almost have to break it up into a few sections. The first one, is the device itself. I like the design of it. Sure, some of the patterns are super corny, but some of the more subtle ones look great. I even don’t mind the skulls one I received for testing. One of the best aspects to their finishes are the rubberized coating. It is quite durable and gives it a great, non-slippery feel in the hand. Battery life, being a 1000mah device, is also a pro. The locking function for the pods is also a big pro, as it keeps them solidly in place at all times and is very satisfying to use.

The second section here is about the .5-ohm mesh pod. It does well in regard to flavor, capacity, and coil life. However, like I mentioned in the pod section, this has some wonky things going on. The first is the hinging top cap. It doesn’t hinge unless you take the pod off the device. The second con I mentioned above as well is the tint of the pods. It is way too dark to see liquid level. Other than those couple of things, the pods work well.

The last segment here is going to be the rebuildable pod. It has its great moments, but also has some cons. It is a great way to save money, as rebuilding will be cost effective. I found it was easy to build and easy to wick and I never got a single dry hit. However, I did have moments where the deck would flood, and it would get gurgly. I also found that this device can’t be set on its side with the rebuildable pod on, as this floods all over inside the deck. No matter what I tried with wicking, I always had these persistent issues that would arise just shortly after a fresh build and wick. Another con with the design is that the pod is proprietary with no adapters, meaning it must be built on this device only. Like I said above, that means you need to know the coil resistance before building or you may find a coil outside the range of the device. The last con it shares with the mesh pod, and that is the tint of the pods, leaving it hard to see liquid level. All cons aside, flavor is outstanding, and it really does vape like a small RDA.

Overall, I think that Vapefly did a decent job with the Jester. It needs a little bit of fine tuning, but it still offers a lot of enjoyment and has the potential to be a really great device. It misses the mark with the gurgly/leaky rebuildable pod, and the hinging top on the non-rebuildable pod are some of the most glaring cons with this as a whole. Flavor is top notch and the device itself feels really solidly made. If you like building and want a pod system, this is the best option out there, as the Smoant Pasito loses out due to a complicated build process. One thing I didn’t mention before was that this actually provides a warm vape from both pods, something I don’t get too often these days. This isn’t a bad device by any means, and it provides some of the best flavor I have gotten from pod systems this year. It just has a few things you have to put up with that are on the negative side.

THE OVEN TEST

If this one accidentally went into the pizza oven, would I go out and buy another? For now, no, but I would LOVE to see a reworked version from them, fixing these couple of cons.

PROS

• GREAT flavor from both pods
  • Good coil life on the mesh pod
  • Simple to build and wick
  • Good battery life
  • Good overall build quality of the battery portion
  • Love that locking pod mechanism
  • 4.8v output is legit for a pod system

CONS

• Hinging cap on the mesh pod doesn’t hinge when on the mod
  • Rebuildable pod gets gurgly
  • Rebuildable pod can leak if on its side for a while
  • Pods are too dark in color
  • Some patterns are just silly (super subjective con)
  • Charge port is on the bottom, so it has to lay on its side for recharging (not good for that rebuildable pod)

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Vapefly for sending this my way for review. I am seeing these online for roughly $30-40 (which is a good price for this IMHO)

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors