Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Sub-ohm Tank Review - The Rotor by Eleaf

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Rotor Mesh Sub-ohm tank by Eleaf. The Rotor at first glance appears to be a run of the mill tank, but Eleaf decided to add some odd innovation and installed a propeller (or rotor) inside one of the coils heads. I will go over every part of the tank, talk about that little propeller, and give my final thoughts down at the bottom. Let’s get right to it eh?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Eleaf for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• Eleaf Rotor tank
  • 1 5.5ml bubble glass
  • 1 5.5ml spare bubble glass
  • Spare O-rings
  • 810 drip tip, w/ o-rings on the tip
  • 1 HW-T .2-ohm mesh coil w/ propeller
  • 1 HW-M .15-ohm mesh coil (standard, no propeller)
  • Spare o-rings and seals
  • Paperwork

MEASUREMENTS – 56mm tall, 26mm wide at the top and bottom, and bubble glass is 28mm
5.5ml capacity with a 2ml version available (mine came as straight 5.5ml)

Available in stainless steel, black, rainbow, and blue.

STOCK SHOT
hVBTm29.jpg

PACKAGING
HjL1bgW.jpg

UNBOXED
mYwXjY1.jpg

COILS

I might as well dive into what makes this tank a little different right away. The Rotor comes with their new HW-T coil, which I can only assume stands for Turbine. This coil has a little propeller inside, which Eleaf has stated is to eliminate spit back. This coil indeed does this, and it even smooths out the draw. I was very skeptical when I first got this. I felt like it would be pointless, but also was worried about the safety of this. I am just not too excited about having some loose metal piece inside, where if it isn’t assembled just right could fall apart and potentially be inhaled. I felt like this could happen every time, even though I attempted to pull the thing apart and it is well secured. The HW-M coil which also comes with this tank is just a standard single mesh sub-ohm coil. I will go over their performance a bit more in the final thoughts segment.

REFILL METHOD

The Eleaf Rotor uses a locking, sliding top fill. There is a small button on the top section. Pressing this in unlocks the sliding top which, which is relatively snug. Under this sliding cap is also a gasketed fill port, which helps to seal the opening until a bottle tip is pressed through. I never experienced leaking or seeping liquid on the top fill of this unless I carelessly dump the liquid myself. The locking mechanism works well and is great for those who are sick of sliding fill tops opening in their pockets.

AIR FLOW

The air flow on this is actually well done. The AFC is snug and very smooth to adjust. It is a very airy tank, so I found myself running it at ½ or 2/3 open in most cases. At full open and doing a dry inhale, it is almost as if I am sucking straight air with little restriction. Even when tapered down, I feel that it is one of the smoother sub-ohm tanks out there, with an extra degree of smoothness with the HW-T coil heads.

PHOTO GALLERY

xBKMbzA.jpg

AlCqpDX.jpg

XOqocph.jpg

7ONz00X.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so with this innovative coil type, did it pay off for Eleaf? I don’t really think so. I wasn’t able to do an exact side by side comparison of each coil, but here is what I found in an attempt to compare. First off, the HW-T coils are a bit smoother to vape, and I didn’t notice any spitting. Just for that I can say the propeller essentially does do something good. Wattage could also be bumped up a little more on the HW-T over the HW-M. I found myself vaping the HW-T at 75w and the HW-M at 65-70w. Any more than that and neither of them kept up. I actually found that at times, both of them were getting dry on me and I had to suck extra hard to get them to wick. Due to this wicking issue I felt like the chance of early burnout is prevalent. I got 20ml into the HW-M coil and about 30ml through the HW-T before they tasted burnt and were not wicking well at all. As far as flavor goes, this tank did nothing for me. In my opinion it is just another middle of the road tank that isn’t any better than the next one. I actually get a better vaping experience off of some of the recent disposable tanks that I am testing, which is rather sad if you as me. There are a few things I like about this tank. I like that they are trying to be innovative with the coil turbine, as it proves to help some. I also like the look of this tank and the colors it comes in. The sliding top cap release is also a pro, as many people’s biggest complaint with sliding top caps is sliding open in a pocket and making a huge mess. However, even with the things I do like about it, the flavor is just not good enough for me to stand behind it. I don’t think it is any better than the Ello Durro, Ello Pop, or Ello Vate, which I all felt vaped on the meh side of things. The last thing I don’t like about it is the propeller. Right away, the only thought in my head was inhaling that propeller. I used the tank until it died, and then used some pliers to pry it off and I couldn’t unless I basically broke the thing. All in all, I think there are better tanks on the market and this one missed the mark for me.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? Let it burn.

PROS

• Innovative turbine coils
  • Locking, sliding top cap
  • Nice styling
  • I like the color options
  • Smooth bottom air flow w/ a satisfying feel to the turbine coil
  • On the quieter side for a sub-ohm tank

CONS

• Long shot, but an inhalation hazard with the propeller
  • Flavor is not the best
  • Coil life is not good
  • Wicking problems on both the HW-T and HW-M coils (even with 70/30 liquid)

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Eleaf for sending this my way for review. I am seeing this online for about $25 USD.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors