Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Baron by Geekvape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Baron RDA by Geekvape. Do you like clouds? Do you like small, dual coil atomizers? If you answered yes to these questions, strap in, sit tight, and let’s dive in a take a look at Geekvape’s newest entry into the rebuildable atomizer world. There isn’t anything wildly innovative with this rda. The deck is dangerously close to that of the Vapefly Core RTA (affiliate company). The air flow ring on the outside is similar to what comes on the Geekvape Creed RTA. Couple these things together with a very compact top cap, and voila, you have yourself the Baron RDA? Let’s dive in and see how to build this, how it vapes, and as always, I will have my final thoughts down on the bottom.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Heaven Gifts for review

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Geekvape Baron RDA
  • 1 Resin 810 Drip Tip
  • 1 Ultem 810 Drip Tip
  • 1 510 Drip Tip adapter
  • 2 Clapton Coils
  • Agletted Cotton
  • 1 T-handle tool
  • 1 Hex key
  • Spare o-rings
  • Paperwork

Available in Stainless, Black, Gunmetal, Purple, Rainbow, Blue, and Gold

Packaging
jIYlCml.jpg

Out of Box
jIYlCml.jpg

Stock Shot
lApg10K.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

When I first open this one up the deck struck me as very familiar before. So, I opened up my Vapefly Core RTA, and low and behold, the post looks almost the same without the air flow in the middle. I didn’t have many issues with the deck, but I have also built a ton of rebuildable atomizers. It is not the best for beginners as there are little nuances to a deck like this that you must pay attention to, so the coils don’t get all contorted. Prebending the coils so the leads come off the bottom takes away a lot of this strain, so if you dive into this, you’re gonna want to do that. One side note about this RDA that you must keep in mind is the air flow ring. The deck looks roomy, but the air flow ring takes up precious build space once installed so I place the air flow insert on the RDA before you wrap up the build or you will have to start all over again.

Wicking on this is nothing too crazy. Simply snip then just long enough to hit the bottom of the juice well and you are done.

AIR FLOW

The air flow on this RDA is quite unique. Sure, it is a side air flow RDA, but it has an inner ring that allows the user to switch between slotted or ported air flow. The slotted air flow provides the most air flow I have ever felt on an atomizer. This one is designed for straight cloud chucking and requires a ton of power to get any warmth from the vapor. The ported air flow tames it down a bit and smooths out the draw. I preferred the draw of the ported air flow over the slots.

There are a few cons with this air flow system. The first one, as I mentioned above has to do with shorting. The ring takes up build deck space and can short against the coils if not taken into consideration. Secondly, the air flow ring locks into place on the base, so when you choke off air flow with the top cap the air starts to move away from center. This always causes a reduction in flavor and causes parts of the coil to get warmer than others due to a lack of air flow past it.

HOW IT VAPES

This RDA really has one purpose in existence, and it is to provide massive vapor production. There is no shortage on air flow, as this one requires a lot of power before it gets remotely warm. With the slotted air flow, I ran it around 140w and it wasn’t super warm. With the ported air flow is choked off a bit more and was used around 90w for how I like it. I know I said the sole purpose of this is cloud chasing, but with it comes decent flavor. Part of the good flavor comes from the fact that the coils are very close to the drip tip. The result is a fair amount of particulate in the vapor that is injected into your taste buds. With lower wattage and less spitting, flavor is reduced dramatically. I don’t mind the vape I get from this, but it just isn’t efficient at providing it. Running at 90w reduces battery life quickly and liquid consumption is very high with this RDA.

One small thing I want to touch on is how I used this. I tried it out as a dripper and a squonker. As a dripper, the deck design works well. The triangular shape at the top aids the flow of liquid right towards your coils. It works well to drip right through the top which is my preferred method of dripping. As a squonker it works well also. I found that it is difficult to oversquonk with the ported holes. I had moments where I saw liquid come right up to those holes, but it never came out and soaked my cotton with ease. With slotted air flow however, it can be oversquonked and leak right out the sides.

PHOTO GALLERY

jYKhODi.jpg

Hi9qHBi.jpg

skWMQqU.jpg

loZZtP6.jpg

jmnGoT8.jpg

BtGb7db.jpg

wmtKt6p.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

I have mixed feelings about the Baron. Aesthetically, I like the top cape and how small it is, but not a huge fan of the Baron logo. I think it takes away from the lines of the atomizer. If I am in a mood to chuck clouds, this would be a go-to RDA for me. The combination of massive air flow, dual coils, and short top cap makes this a total fog machine. Flavor isn’t half bad from it either, however it takes a lot of wattage to get the best performance from this. The build deck itself is a small con, just because it is not beginner friendly. If you have built a lot you won’t have a problem at all, but new builders might battle the coils a bit. I can deal with the deck, but the air flow control is by far the worst con of this atomizer. Like I said above, as the air flow is closed down, the air flow moves to the sides of the coil which is not ideal for performance at all. On an RDA with this much air flow this becomes a major issue. It would have been nice to keep just one row open, but only if it could be on the center of the coil. If there was a way to do that, I could see this being a real flavor banger. So, do I recommend this RDA? It is going to come down to vape style. If you love tons of air flow and blowing huge clouds, then this RDA is for you. If you are into restricted air flow and tons of flavor, then this one is not for you. It is really that simple.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? No, as this doesn’t fit into my normal realm of vaping. Too much air flow and requires too much power for my liking. Great for powering through e-liquids though!

PROS

• I like the look of it
  • Flavor is middle to above average
  • Cloud monster
  • Affordable

CONS

• Build deck isn’t for beginners
  • Air flow is off centered once you close it down
  • Requires 90+watts to get best performance (with my builds anyway)
  • Uses up a lot of e-liquid

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Heaven Gifts for sending it my way for review! If you want to pick one of these out for yourself, they are listed for about $25 on average.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors