Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Holic by Vapefly

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews and today I will be going over the Holic RDA b Vapefly. The Holic is the latest rebuild able atomizer from Vapefly, and is follow the likes of their previous Galaxies series and going after the MTL market once again. I was a fan of nearly every Galaxies product released last year, so when I saw this one, I was quite eager to try it. Let’s dive right in and see if this lives up to the standard I have built in my mind for Vapefly and their MTL devices, and as always, I will have my final thoughts down at the bottom.

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Vapefly for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Holic RDA
  • 1 24mm beauty ring
  • 2 airflow control “valves”
  • 1 t handle tool
  • 2 1 ohm coils
  • 2 pieces of 2.5mm firebolt cotton
  • Squonk pin
  • Spare parts
  • Paperwork

Available in rainbow, black, gold, gunmetal, and stainless steel.

STOCK SHOT
Ho54TeD.jpg

PACKAGING
obqWnpQ.jpg

OUT OF BOX
DCQJHIh.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

As I mentioned above, the Holic is a MTL rda. This measures in at 22.2mm, but also comes with a 24mm beauty ring to help with matching up to the device it rest on. The overall look of the Holic is on the high-end side. It has nice engravings along the sides and some rings cut within to give it some style. The top it all off, Vapefly tossed a small bore mtl drip tip on top that reminds of the game Sorry® as a kid. I will talk about that tip a bit more on the bottom.

BUILD DECK

The build deck is nothing out of the ordinary with this RDA. It is a two post design, which requires leads to be bent a certain way to sit just right. Sure, a coil can be bent to fit, but it is much easier if they come off the top and right into the posts. I found it to be a breeze to build on, as the coil fits in place with ease. There are a couple of notches for the top can along the outer edge which lock the top cap on, but also act as a resting place for your coiling rod. I left all of my builds aligned with this and felt it was a perfect gap for the airflow to hit the coils. Along with a simple deck comes a decent sized juice well with a raised middle section. When squonking, liquid will come up the middle and then pour outward into the well. Wicking does have to be kept a bit longer and tucked so it sits just above the bottom, but I found that vaping an mtl atomizer allows ample time for wicking via capillary action and the longer wicks are not an issue. I vaped anywhere from 25-30w and it was consistent every time. One con with the deep well and a high pin is liquid will be retained in the juice well, so if it is full and it tips to the side, there is a small potential for some leaking.

AIRFLOW

Airflow has always been something that Vapefly seems to nail with their MTL stuff. They did a nice job here, but there are some unique properties to it as well. On the basic side of things, you will see airflow come through the sides of the top cap. There are six airflow slots on one side and three slots on the other. Three from each side work in unison, so as the top cap is turned the small, medium, and large hole are the same on each side. To restrict airflow another level, one could keep turning and only pull airflow from one side on the other three holes. Pretty normal right? Well, here is where the plot thickens. Right where the airflow meets the coil, there are two valves, which also adjust airflow. Using a small screwdriver, these can be adjusted to tweak the airflow even more. As neat as it is, I find them useless. As the airflow is turned down, it throws of the direction at which the airflow comes in, so it may not hit the coil straight on. In addition, I don’t like to need tools to adjust airflow. Sure, once it is set, you don’t need a tool. But…. During those initial days with this RDA, I played with it a lot to find what I liked, so it was a major pain then. As far as how this airflow feels, I totally dig it. It has a nice range of tight mtl to tight direct lung, and offers a smooth draw that goes straight to the coil like it should. It is a bit wonky, but once everything is set the way you want, it is golden.

PHOTO GALLERY

EWao5qz.jpg

JvRz709.jpg

Z4RyPSX.jpg

35YkgVu.jpg

r4uLmW0.jpg

rbe6KX8.jpg

HOW IT VAPES/ FINAL THOUGHTS

So, as I mentioned above, I was a big fan of the Vapefly Galaxies line. Does this live up to the hype I built myself? Yeah, yeah it does. I found that the Holic can produce a great MTL vape, and even gets loose enough for a restricted direct lung inhale. The range of adjustment is top notch, and the flavor I get is spot on. I used mine as a squonker the entire time, and once again loved the battery consumption I get with a satisfying 25 watt vape. To top off the vaping experience, this rda looks great too in my opinion. The machining is nice, the design looks high end, and the addition of that beauty ring really richens it up. I only came across a few things that I didn’t like with this rda, both with the drip tip. First off is the game piece looking drip tip. It is comfortable on the lips and all, but the bore is very small. What I found with this is I created enough suction to literally sip liquid from it. This is not the first tip like this on a Vapefly device, but it’s the first time I noticed so much liquid drinkage. I replaced the drip tip with something a little wider and never saw that issue again. Speaking of drip tips, the 510 is rather shallow, so several of my 510 tips were too deep to fit within the cap. Small con, but definitely one for people who like their own tips. One small con might be that secondary airflow adjustment inside. It requires a screwdriver to adjust, which is a nuisance when first using this and dialing it in. Sure, it adds some great adjustment, but I think it could have been altered to be tool-less somehow. Other than these few things that were slightly annoying, I cannot say enough about this rda. I really love the vape it provides, it looks awesome, and it’s also super affordable. If you are into MTL, I think this might be a solid addition for your collection.

OVEN TEST

If this were accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go get another? Yes. The way it sits right now, this is the only MTL atomizer I will be using for a while.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Good flavor
  • Looks high end and well machined
  • Tons of air flow adjustment
  • Deep juice well
--------------------------------
CONS

• Small bore drip tip acts like a liquid straw
  • Not all aftermarket 510s will fit on this due to a shallow cap on top
  • Secondary airflow adjustment requires flat head screwdriver (inconvenient on the go)

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Vapefly for sending this my way for review. I did some looking online and this looks to be selling at multiple sites for about $30.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors