Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RTA Review - The Brunhilde MTL RTA by Vapefly

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Brunhilde MTL RTA by Vapefly. This is the follow up to the direct lung, big brother, the Brunhilde. I say big brother lightly, as this is not a tiny atomizer by any means, but it is definitely geared for the restricted and mtl aspect of vaping. Out of the box, I was super impressed by the overall styling and beauty of this thing. It is easily one of the more intricate and gorgeous looking atomizers I have tried. Once again, this is a German 103 collaboration, and it shows. Germany has some different TPD interpretations, which essentially equate to LARGE = GOOD, as long as they are durable and cannot leak a given amount of liquid in the event of breakage. This is where the fully protected glass comes in. The obvious innovation here is that this harkens back to the days of SS wicking, which was made famous with Genesis atomizers of years ago (circa 2013). This sure looks promising, so let’s get right to it eh?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Vapefly for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Vapefly Brunhilde MTL RTA
  • 1 spare glass
  • 1 delrin drip tip
  • 1 SS / Resin heat sink drip tip
  • 6 air flow adapters
  • 2 spare stainless-steel wick wires
  • Spare O-rings
  • T handle tool
  • 1 Allen Key
  • Spare grub screws
  • 2 1-ohm Ni80 round-wire coils
  • 2 Firebolt cotton
  • Paperwork

Available in Black, Gunmetal, and Stainless Steel

STOCK SHOT
HbIuglG.jpg

PACKAGING
QAx396x.jpg

UNBOXED
0hMU5GK.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

I am just going to hop right into this one and get to building. The Brunhilde features a 4-post hole design, so it will work for single coil configurations and will not matter which way they are wrapped. I installed my coils with the leads on the bottom side, which keeps them roughly 1mm above the bottom air flow. This design works well and is nothing new. It takes literally seconds to place the coil and snug it up. I had zero issues with flat or round-wire builds bouncing around, as they stayed put well during the install process.

Wicking on this has proven to be much easier than expected. It essentially gets wicked like a basic small RDA. The only difference is that I kept my wick a little longer and packed it into the “juice well” area tighter than I normally would. This ended up working well as I never had a single issue with wicking. The liquid travels up the stainless wicks and right into the cotton, and voila, we are vaping baby!

SIDE NOTE: I never had issues with this keeping up, but I have heard of some that have. I have heard that the stainless wicks can be contaminated by oils and what not that come from handling. I didn’t have to follow any special processes, but I avoided handling mine until I changed liquids. When I did this, I wore latex gloves. If you should find these not working well, do some googling and don’t give up. I have heard stories of alcohol baths, ultrasonic cleaning, or even removing a core or two from these wicks to aid in the wicking process.

AIR FLOW

This RTA is a bottom air flow, and since it is geared toward MTL, Vapefly has elected to use air flow inserts at the base. This comes with 6 different designs, all with a single hole. These range from .9mm all the way up to 2.5mm. During my use, I ran the 1.2mm (2nd smallest) with the included round-wire coil, and I opted for the 1.8mm (3rd largest) with a stainless twisted coil from Badazd. Both of these were pear guesses and they worked out fantastically for how I like to vape, but more on that later. For additional adjustment, the top cap does twist, allowing you to choke off the air inlet to fine tune your vape.

PHOTO GALLERY

ifqdHMw.jpg

P4t6EFO.jpg

Ct2x1GE.jpg

pkxgc7k.jpg

624zSN2.jpg

0NXqzzx.jpg

ytNvzJC.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Easy to build, relatively easy to wick, and lots of air flow adjustment. Couple that with a solid vape and we may have a winner. Soooo what is it? As expected, Vapefly delivers with another great MTL device. Up until this point, their Galaxies line, along with the Horic RDA have all been some of my favorite MTL devices to date and this is another that ranks right up there. During testing, I used their included round-wire coil combined with the 2nd smallest air flow insert. This is a lovely MTL draw that I tend to go for. Flavor was decent, definitely acceptable for something with such a tight draw. To gain more flavor, I tossed in a flat stainless coils from Badazd Coils with the 3rd largest air flow insert. The draw here is a much looser MTL draw and the flavor really came alive. If you like tight direct lung draws, this totally does that as well. The largest air flow insert (or none at all) are easily classified as direct lung. Not like cloud chucker direct lung, but not something you would draw into your mouth first on. In all honesty, there are only a few things to gripe about with this atomizer. The largest con also has to do with size, as this thing is HUGE. Even on a Littlefoot mod (see pic above) this setup is as tall as a mod with a dripper. The second con I have is the refill method. The top cap rotates and reveals a small hole on the side. Impossible to fill with dropper bottles, and if you don’t have a steady hand, it will be a mess with smaller tipped plastic bottles. Thank god that this is MTL and low wattage which equates less refills, or this would have been a big problem for me. Those two things are all I can really come up with for cons. Great flavor, air flow adjustability, and gorgeous machining make the Brunhilde RTA one to get for MTL fans. It is as simple as that.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? Yep. Nice work Vapefly and German 103!

PROS

• Great flavor
  • Gorgeous styling
  • Easy to build
  • Lots of air flow adjustability
  • Well protected glass
  • 5ml capacity
  • Lots of spare parts

CONS

• Large Size
  • Refill hole is too small
  • Potential con: I have seen some have issues with wicking and the stainless rods, but I never saw this

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Vapefly for sending this my way for review. I am seeing these on a few sites, selling for about $50.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors