Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Reviews - The Horus RTA by Vapefly

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello Everyone, and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews. Today I will be covering the Horus RTA by Vapefly. This rta was sent to me by Vapefly for review.

N9lGCH6.jpg

INTRODUCTION

The Horus RTA is one of the latest products from the little known company Vapefly. I received a couple of items from them, and if they keep up with these products they will not be little known for long. The Horus features a single coil build deck, side and bottom air flow (from top), 4mL capacity (TPD version available with insert), 810 colorful drip tip, and is available in gold, gunmetal, black, and stainless. One bonus with this company is they include cotton and coils (good ones if I might add) so nothing will hold you back from diving in to a build. They also don’t skimp on spare O-rings and screws, so big props to them for all the inclusions. It measures 49.7mm high and is 25mm in diameter.

SboFIz3.jpg

WHAT YOU GET

- 1 – Horus RTA

- 1 – Spare Glass

- 1 – 510 drip tip adapter

- 1 – Multi Tool

- 1 – Cotton

- 1 – Coil pack

- 1 – Allen Key

- 1 – Spare parts bag

- 1 – Cleaning cloth

BrLVSsB.jpg

BUILD DECK

The build deck of the Horus rta is designed to work with a single coil. The posts are off centered so the coil can be lined up right over a bottom air flow port and next to the side air flow ports (more on air flow later). As an added note everything that needs better conductivity (deck, 510, etc.) is gold plated. I like that none of the gold is visible when assembled so it keeps a clean look. The deck is easy to build on and has adequate space for a 3mm 7 wrap fused Clapton without any issues. Since the post holes are level across the deck, some slight tweaking to the coil is needed ahead of time. Since the screws tighten across the top of the coil, I didn’t witness and “coil warping” as seen when the screws press against the side of flatter builds.

I7BvWBq.jpg

iLcottr.jpg

k2yfTdG.jpg

WICKING

Wicking the Horus was the biggest issue I came across with this atomizer. I experienced a lot of dry hits when I first started out. One or two puffs, and the cotton would be bone dry, so I had to take a step back and look at my own errors before totally bashing this atty. At first I was using native wicks cotton like I have time and time again, and had little success. I ran the cotton high, I ran the cotton low, and the results were the same. What I discovered was I could get faster more consistent wicking with standard pads. With slight tension throughout the core of the coil, fluffing the ends, and running the ends of cotton just past the deck, it works just fine. It kept up to my chain vaping at this point and was a much better experience. It was brutal at first, but it is doable with some due diligence!

AIR FLOW AND FLAVOR

One of the features with the Horus rta is the “b” shaped air flow. It is a top air flow since that works similar to the Geekvape Zeus, but adds bottom air flow into the mix to make the air flow appear to be a lower case b shape (check out the Vapefly website for some clarity on that). What this does is bring a lot of air from up top, down to where it needs to go on the coil, all while eliminating the chance of leaking out of the air flow. This is a very airy design, but it can be controlled decently. I found it to work best closed down about half way, but that’s just a personal preference. One con I found with the air flow a lack of a stopper on the air flow adjustment. Not because it moves much, but rather there is not solid way to hold the rta and unscrew the top cap with ease. The fill cap fits very tight (good seal), but if the top portion of the tank isn’t tightened down solidly, unscrewing the fill cap can be a bugger without totally disassembling the tank. Once the tank is assembled more securely then this issue goes away. This is a bit of a small con, but a con none the less. This doesn’t take away from what is the million-dollar question….. “How does it vape?”

aDlQvLQ.jpg

HOW IT VAPES

It is a bit of a loaded question with the Horus. The short answer is, it vapes good. The long answer is, it vapes real good after you play with it A LOT. Like stated above, the wicking issue complicated my experience with this rta. Right when I thought I had it down, it would be dry and burnt again. Once I got it right though, the flavor was EXCELLENT. I put it right up there with the flavor from a Geekvape Zeus, as it should considering they have some similar design cues. The vapor and flavor I experienced were top notch, and just as good as some dual coil rtas I own. The great part about that is running at 50w, flavor is up, but juice and battery consumption is low. I love when I get a single coil to work well, because the payoffs from running just a single coil can be great.

pkHsrNs.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Horus is a formidable entry into the world of single coil rtas. It seems that many manufacturers are going this route, and for good reason. They are simple and flavorful, yet they don’t require huge wattage and sip juice much better than some large dual coil rtas. Once the wicking is done just right it has great flavor and performance. I wish it wicked better because I think this tank looks amazing, and when it works it works well. The only real cons I found were with the lack of an air flow stopper and the wicking. I love the design of the tank because it is different. Inclusions of colorful drip tips, lots of spare parts, good coils, and cotton make for a great complete rta for a very affordable price. I don’t recommend this for a beginner, as I had some trouble wicking and I have built on a ton of rtas.

Little known fact – the name Horus comes from ancient Egypt and is the name given to one of their common deities. This explains the Egyptian “falcon eyes” on the sides of the tank.

PROS

- Nice looking design (subjective pro)

- Easy to build on

- Flavor is stellar

- Low price

- Lots of spare parts

- Colorful, non-honeycomb drip tips

- 4ml capacity without being overly large

- Couldn’t get it to leak or flood

CONS

- Wicking is a bit finicky

- No stops on air flow control

- Top can spin apart when removing cap if tank is assembled loosely

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Vapefly for sending it my way for review! If this tank looks like something you want to try out, head on over to the Vapefly website for more information or to purchase. The price right from them is $38.99. I also found it on Elegomall for $29.90.

http://www.vapefly.net/vapefly-horus-rta/

https://www.elegomall.com/product/vapefly-horus-rta-tank-atomizer.html

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Last edited:

Bl4ckKat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Pizza Dave, thanks for that review. I am having major issues with this RTA, so many dry hits it's a miracle I have not smashed it after just half a day. Can you please post some photo's of how you wick this thing? So far it's really putting me off RTA's. I am using the smallest piece of cotton and fluffing it out really well, I cut the wicks in line with the side of the deck. I'm not jamming the wicks in there, they are nice and loose, each time I get a dry hit I take the deck out and my cotton is soaked. Please help!

aHussyNamedTron

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Pizza Dave, thanks for that review. I am having major issues with this RTA, so many dry hits it's a miracle I have not smashed it after just half a day. Can you please post some photo's of how you wick this thing? So far it's really putting me off RTA's. I am using the smallest piece of cotton and fluffing it out really well, I cut the wicks in line with the side of the deck. I'm not jamming the wicks in there, they are nice and loose, each time I get a dry hit I take the deck out and my cotton is soaked. Please help!

Have you ever resolved this issue? i was thinking about purchasing this RTA..

VU Sponsors