plain wire vs exotic wire

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by CashNVape, Nov 13, 2017.

1. CashNVape

CashNVape Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    side by side 22g ss316 coils
    same ss316 wire but Clapton
    dual mode, both ohming out to 0.20 ohms.

which fires quicker?
    which causes less ramp up time?
    I know you'll get more flavour from the claptons over plain wire but how much of a flavour gain do you really get going from plain wire to a Clapton coil?

I feel like a set of claptons in n80 in dual mode 0.2ohms takes more time to heat up on a single battery hybrid tube than running plain SS or A1 wire running same setup same ohms. if it's the same ohms why is it taking more amps than single wire?

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

2. Khassy

Khassy Diamond Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I don't get more flavor from claptons over plain wire.

Pegleg Meg and The Cromwell like this.
  3. r055co

r055co VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Me, SS Fused Claptons are perfect.

Letitia9 likes this.
  4. Neunerball

Neunerball Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I've been using all sorts of coils. IMO, to each it's own. A plain wire can be as satisfying as an "excotic" wire. The only difference might be the amount of vapor produced by an "excotic" coil. However, I personally enjoyed utilizing either kind of coil(s). The question should be, do you go for battery life, or high wattage (less battery life).

Letitia9 likes this.
  5. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Phantom Pilot Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I used nothing but plain wire for years. About a year ago I started using all sorts of Clapton and alien wire.
    Last week popped in a plain wire build (22g SS). In all honesty, I don't notice a huge difference other than the plain wire doesn't hold as much juice as the exotics so I have to drip more often or use more Cotton.

Pegleg Meg and Letitia9 like this.
  6. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Human perception of flavor is subjective. For me, the 'feel' (warmth, smoothness, density, wetness, throat hit, restrictiveness of the draw, etc. etc.) and quantity of the vapor are equally as important as the flavor, just like the 'feel' and quantity of the sauce are equally as important as the flavor when I eat my steak. If that makes sense. Simple clapton coils are a waste of time for me because fused claptons are not more difficult to make. Moving from claptons to fused claptons, the improvement is nothing short of spectacular. But aliens are better still, albeit the difference is much smaller, and actually it depends. I like other (sort of) advanced coil builds besides fused claptons and aliens, though. Switching between multiple different coil types is like switching between different juices in the sense that it easily gets boring if I don't switch it frequently enough.

More importantly, I find that some juices need a different coil type compared to other juices for me to get the best flavor from them [these juices]. Or vice versa... some coil builds can be brought to life by choosing a different type of juice. Similarly, the wattage, the choice of atomizer, the airflow adjustment, the strength of my draw (and how I change this strength during my draw), and the wicking style all also play a huge part. Mech vs regulated plays another part. In the case of a regulated, power curves play a huge part. (For example, staple staggered fused claptons with Kanthal cores, Kanthal ribbon, and Nichrome80 wrap wire benefit a LOT from using power curves.) Finally, my own preferences are not invariant. Just like my choice of what juice I want to vape, my choice of 'feel' and quantity of the vapor I want is moving all the time. That is why I vape on so many different setups... variation is compulsory, in several many ways.

ZoeBoy, CashNVape, Letitia9 and 2 others like this.
  7. Synphul

Synphul Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I haven't tried single core claptons, only multicore fused claptons. For me the flavor is a definite boost. Resistance isn't everything when it comes to ramp up, it has to do with wire mass and how the power is flowing through the wire. Adding a clapton wrap to a single wire increases mass, there's more metal to heat up and depending on the gauge used can have a significant impact. If the wrap is 30-32ga it will take longer to heat up or more power to get it to heat equally as fast as the single plain wire than say 38-40ga wrap wire.

The staggered fused clapton wire I got on a spool used all stainless 32ga wrap and using 28ga cores it took forever to heat up and cool down. I made my own using 28ga ss316 and 38ga ni80, much faster response and cool down.

It's down to personal preference which is what makes coil variety so great. If you personally see no flavor difference in single plain wire coils over claptons and someone else likes the flavor of fused claptons better and yet another person likes the flavor of single clapton paralleled with a plain simple wire - then each person can have what works for them. Taste is subjective so what works best for you is what's best to use. No way to know until you actually use it yourself and decide which is better in your opinion.

If a particular build (say clapton or fused clapton) seems to work so well for others and not for you, make sure you're using a similar build before giving up on it. r055co may have claptons that are 2x28ga ss316L with 42ga ni80. If mine were 2x30ga or 2x26ga kanthal with a 30-32ga ss316 wrap yet mine weren't working for me it'd be better to try what they're using before saying 'claptons suck'. Maybe my configuration is what sucked and if it were more like theirs I might like it. Or not, but no way of knowing until you try.

Keep in mind I don't use mechs, only regulated so my experience is limited. How the various wire masses, resistance, metal types and coil build styles affect the vape/performance on a mech may be entirely different since the coil determines all the user adjustments with straight mech mods. I still think wire mass has a lot to do with it and may need to be compensated for. Wrap wires are generally thin enough gauge they have little effect on overall resistance, yet they add mass to the coil. As mass increases it takes either - longer to heat or more power. Since your resistance stays the same you're not adding more power, therefor it takes longer to heat the extra material. If I'm wrong (since I'm no mech expert) hopefully someone will correct me and explain it better.

ZoeBoy, CashNVape and Letitia9 like this.
  8. Letitia9

Letitia9 Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I normally prefer tri core fc, but have recently found I prefer single wire for my sharper unsweetened citrus vapes. I do get better lung hit satisfaction from the fc's.

9. CashNVape

Blog Posts:
    for some reason I can't stand anything with citrus. maybe I should try them with single wire coils instead of claptons or aliens.

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

Letitia9 likes this.
  10. CashNVape

Blog Posts:
    I'll wrap some 22g ss coils tonight. since my bd coil order is super slow. they were supposed to be here days ago. now the tracking says bumphuck Egypt. so I'll play with my reg wire

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

Letitia9 likes this.
  11. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Are you from southern Illinos?

12. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Claptons and such are much less efficient than regular wire coils.
    Simple roundwire coils will ramp up MUCH faster than a clapton of the same resistance at the same wattage.
    You will also get a better vape at the same wattage on round wire.
    To me the parallel roundwire builds are best for flavor and efficiency of cloudage.

Letitia9 likes this.
  13. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    The claptons give me a much more satisfying hit. Freely admit they are not the most efficient coils, but I love them.

The Cromwell likes this.
  14. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Whatever works for ya.

Letitia9 likes this.
  15. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
  16. SteveS45

SteveS45 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I started using plain SS316L because I could not fit the Claptons in an RTA and using a heavy wire gives good surface area. Whatever floats your clouds!

Letitia9 likes this.
  17. r055co

Blog Posts:
    All depends on the gauge of the wrapping wire, 38g - 40+g is negligible in regards to additional wire mass. Using small gauge wrapping wire the coils are very responsive and efficient. Actually more so due to more surface area for juice.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Letitia9 likes this.
  18. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Since I started ordering smaller gauge wire fc my ramp time is amazing. I was stunned at the difference it makes. They don't last as long tho. Ramp time more than make up for it.

r055co likes this.
  19. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Question I always had on clapton style coils is which heats up faster the cores or the wrap?
    I know they cannot be perfectly balanced except in a very rare occasion.

And on the wrap wire mass. You wrap a lot of the little stuff around the cores it has to add noticible mass.
    I will not do the maths on the surface area of the wrap or how the length of the wrap relates to the cores it is wrapped around.
    My head would hurt too badly and I might start killing people.

I miss Boden....
    For those who know/knew him you will understand.

he won cloud comps against claptons and such using ellipictal parallel round wire builds.
    And Knew all the maths and physics involved.

Letitia9 likes this.
  20. CashNVape

Blog Posts:
    I just took some 22g ss wire and wrapped 7 wraps. dual coil, 0.15ohms after cotton added, also have some aliens in n80 0.15ohms.
    taate is exactly the same. takes longer to heat up the aliens. this was all done on two brass comp lyfe mods "Swiss" with battle decks. Looks like buying claptons is a waste of $ when I can just wrap my own plain wire. now I need to venture past SS and A1 wires. I like n80 because it ramps quicker but down own plain n80 wire, yet.

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

The Cromwell likes this.
  21. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Yep either just dual SS316 round wire builds or parallel builds for me.
    KISS works well for me.

22. skiball

skiball Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I feel like exotic wires heat more evenly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

23. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    After you finally beat them into submission :)
    Whatever works for you. As long as it is safe enjoy it.

skiball likes this.
  24. skiball

skiball Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    What can i say i'm hammer all i see is nails. But really after i went from 24g to clapton etc, couple pulses and a slide and done.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell likes this.
  25. CashNVape

Blog Posts:
    hmm, so does plain wire... after scraping, pulling, squeezing the coil.

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  26. r055co

Blog Posts:
    38g - 40 +g is rather thin, thinner than hair so the minute amount of mass it adds is negligible when it comes to power needed.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Synphul likes this.
  27. CashNVape

Blog Posts:
    KISS?

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

Letitia9 likes this.
  28. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    If like me you use SS316 spaced coils you only need to pulse enough to burn off any impurities.
    None of the getting it to heat evenly stuff. They just do.

Letitia9 likes this.
  29. xXxelis_prxXx

xXxelis_prxXx Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Keep it simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cromwell and Letitia9 like this.
  30. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    KISS = Keep it Staple Staggered. :bliss:

gopher_byrd and Letitia9 like this.