Become a Patron!

Please explain...

GeorgeTz6

Member For 2 Years
This is my second "please explain..." thread, I know the title is a little bland, but I couldn't fit the whole question in the title....

So, I've noticed...
With my dual clapton coils at 0.5ohm at 80 watts, I don't produce much vapor because it burns like hell and it ramps up very slowlly...
Today I built a SS316 4mm ID , 6 spaced wraps coil, coming out at 0.45ohm
I ramps up immediately and I produce almost triple the vapor, because it doesn't burn that much
The throat hit is so,sooo smooth...

Please explain why the difference in coil setup changes the throat hit so much...

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To better figure out what kind of problems you're having, the composition of the first coil you mentioned is needed.

However, stainless steel has a much lower resistance and ramps up much faster than comprable Kanthal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clapton coils have more mass and take longer to heat up.
One reason I like round wire builds best.
Also SS tends to ramp up quicker than Kanthal even in round wire builds.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you wrap the claptons yourself, buy premade, or did they come stock on your deck? I don't know much about self wrapped, but I do know that I have had better luck with buying premade than the ones that have come stock on my tanks. For some reason, every clapton build (really every coil period) that had come stock on my tanks gives me virtually no flavor. I just went through this again with my Cloud Beast. No flavor, changed the coils and had massive flavor. It's beyond me what the deal is, just something I have noticed.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All depends on the wire used for Claptons. Me my standard is 26g - 29g core wires with 36g - 38g wrapping wire 317L SS Fused Claptons. Very responsive with excellent flavor.

So question is, what gauge of wires were the Claptons did you use? The Devil is in the details

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clapton coils have more mass and take longer to heat up.
One reason I like round wire builds best.
Also SS tends to ramp up quicker than Kanthal even in round wire builds.
all depends on the gauge of wire used

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all depends on the gauge of wire used

Yes but most claptons are much more massive than round wire builds.

Imho a paralell round wire build is the most efficient build.

Most do not care about efficiency and such when they are pushing 100W + thru a coil.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes but most claptons are much more massive than round wire builds.

Imho a paralell round wire build is the most efficient build.

Most do not care about efficiency and such when they are pushing 100W + thru a coil.

If you're talking about the cheap chinese manufactured claptons this would be true. 30x2/40 works very well under 100W in my Toodie puffer, very efficient and one hell of a good smoother flavorful vape.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're talking about the cheap chinese manufactured claptons this would be true. 30x2/40 works very well under 100W in my Toodie puffer, very efficient and one hell of a good smoother flavorful vape.
Enjoy your claptons and I will enjoy my round wire builds.
an engineer by the name of Boden on the other board seems to have scientific evidence that Parallel coils were the most efficient.
My experiments have agreed with his conclusions.

round wire builds are certainly easier and cheaper. And I like both of those aspects.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Enjoy your claptons and I will enjoy my round wire builds.
an engineer by the name of Boden on the other board seems to have scientific evidence that Parallel coils were the most efficient.
My experiments have agreed with his conclusions.

round wire builds are certainly easier and cheaper. And I like both of those aspects.
I do, I used to run round wire single, twisted and parallel until I started on fused Claptons. Myself and many, many others find fused claptons provide a much better and flavorful vape. If they didn't I certainly wouldn't spend the time spinning them up ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do, I used to run round wire single, twisted and parallel until I started on fused Claptons. Myself and many, many others find fused claptons provide a much better and flavorful vape. If they didn't I certainly wouldn't spend the time spinning them up ;)
Enjoy them.
I do not need more flavor.
I mix around 7% total flavor and have all I want.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
giphy.gif

VU Sponsors