Become a Patron!

Please help.. Coil caught fire!

DODoubleG

Member For 1 Year
Heya fellas, I am new here, but I have a very big problem..

So, I have a mech mod for 3 days now and everything was okay till today. I will tell a little background.

As you understood , I am a beginner in mech mod/building sphere and heres what happened.

So, a couple days ago, I built a deck ,wicked everything. Everything was fine, I was vaping and I was enjoying it very much. Though, when building, I noticed that only the center of my coils are getting red while firing. I ignored it.. And moreover, it was a hard time for me to build everything.. so I understood that my build is shitty, but I thought it will work.

Today, I vaped, everything was fine, I tested my new liquid and so on. So, I was vaping at home, it seemed fine and I put it down for couple of mins, when I picked it next and pressed the button nothing was happening.. I pressed again and again, some vape came out and SUDDENLY LIKE A LIGHTNING FROM A CLEAR sky a fire started in one of my coils.. I was so scared so I put the fire out and now I put the mech away. I am scared to touch it..Thats it..

Some important points:

- The wicks had enough liquid in them. They weren't dry .
- I use Clapton dual coils( total resistance 0.31 ohms)
- My battery is Sony vtc5
- I am familiar with ohms law
- None of the coils were touching the base

Now some of my friends told me that it might be because of my build (maybe some coils lost the contact and shorted out)

Please tell this shit's aint about the battery, because I won't use the mod , because I dont want that the battery would explode in my face .

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil end loose in the post?
Short?

If a mech does not fire when it should, do NOT keep trying to fire it because it may be shorted and a venting event can occur and blow the atty off into your face and spew 1000 deg fire at ya.

If it does not fire figure out why it is not firing. Test the atty on a regulated mod, etc.

And ALWAYS check a new build on a regulated mod or an ohms tester with the cap on the atty as the top can short to the coils if not built right.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Heya fellas, I am new here, but I have a very big problem..

So, I have a mech mod for 3 days now and everything was okay till today. I will tell a little background.

As you understood , I am a beginner in mech mod/building sphere and heres what happened.

So, a couple days ago, I built a deck ,wicked everything. Everything was fine, I was vaping and I was enjoying it very much. Though, when building, I noticed that only the center of my coils are getting red while firing. I ignored it.. And moreover, it was a hard time for me to build everything.. so I understood that my build is shitty, but I thought it will work.

Today, I vaped, everything was fine, I tested my new liquid and so on. So, I was vaping at home, it seemed fine and I put it down for couple of mins, when I picked it next and pressed the button nothing was happening.. I pressed again and again, some vape came out and SUDDENLY LIKE A LIGHTNING FROM A CLEAR sky a fire started in one of my coils.. I was so scared so I put the fire out and now I put the mech away. I am scared to touch it..Thats it..

Some important points:

- The wicks had enough liquid in them. They weren't dry .
- I use Clapton dual coils( total resistance 0.31 ohms)
- My battery is Sony vtc5
- I am familiar with ohms law
- None of the coils were touching the base

Now some of my friends told me that it might be because of my build (maybe some coils lost the contact and shorted out)

Please tell this shit's aint about the battery, because I won't use the mod , because I dont want to get the battery exploded in my face.

I do agree with you putting the mech mod away. If it doesn't fire, it needs to be taken apart and looked over by someone experienced before being used again.

E-liquid is flammable if it gets too hot. If you heat the coil long enough with no air to cool the coil, yep fire.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Did you check for hotspots or shorts? Could also be he coil touching the barrel as well.
Did you put the atty on a regulated mod or ohms meter after the incident to see if there were shorts?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesn't sound like the switch is at fault - sounds like the build was too low and sloppy.

Build a proper coil with apropos resistance of apropos ID and wick it properly. OR, alternately, get a regulated mod and a tank with premade coil heads.

Decisions, Decisions..

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Doesn't sound like the switch is at fault - sounds like the build was too low and sloppy.

Build a proper coil with apropos resistance of apropos ID and wick it properly. OR, alternately, get a regulated mod and a tank with premade coil heads.

Decisions, Decisions..

I agree with you. A mech mod can become a torch with very low builds. Specifically with a series mech. What is the mod in play here?

DODoubleG

Member For 1 Year
Do you have any pictures? If it didnt fire and then caught fire, it makes me think it got shorted out somewhere.
Short?

If a mech does not fire when it should, do NOT keep trying to fire it because it may be shorted and a venting event can occur and blow the atty off into your face and spew 1000 deg fire at ya.

If it does not fire figure out why it is not firing. Test the atty on a regulated mod, etc.

And ALWAYS check a new build on a regulated mod or an ohms tester with the cap on the atty as the top can short to the coils if not built right.
I do agree with you putting the mech mod away. If it doesn't fire, it needs to be taken apart and looked over by someone experienced before being used again.

E-liquid is flammable if it gets too hot. If you heat the coil long enough with no air to cool the coil, yep fire.
Did you check for hotspots or shorts? Could also be he coil touching the barrel as well.
Did you put the atty on a regulated mod or ohms meter after the incident to see if there were shorts?

Decisions, Decisions..

Thanks for the responses. Here I have a photo. You can clearly see that only the one side is burned. I think if it was something wrong with switch and battery both would have lighten up. I think that this was because of how I installed the coils and thats it.. By the way, I tested the rda on the ohmmeter and it increased. :D It was 0.30 now its 0.34 strange isn't it? :)

Attachments

• 32349302_1660180224097668_5333557372482748416_n.jpg
    32349302_1660180224097668_5333557372482748416_n.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 23

DODoubleG

Member For 1 Year
I agree with you. A mech mod can become a torch with very low builds. Specifically with a series mech. What is the mod in play here?

VGOD PRO MECH 2 and I wouldn't consider .3 low. VGOD in the kit actually includes coils that are 0.18 .. :00

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
VGOD PRO MECH 2 and I wouldn't consider .3 low. VGOD in the kit actually includes coils that are 0.18 .. :00

.3 is fine. Are you sure it is actually .3? Did you build it on a meter or are you going off of packaging?

Looking at your picture it looks like one side is heating super fast and not evenly meaning something is wrong with the build.

DODoubleG

Member For 1 Year
.3 is fine. Are you sure it is actually .3? Did you build it on a meter or are you going off of packaging?

Looking at your picture it looks like one side is heating super fast and not evenly meaning something is wrong with the build.
Yeah, I tested it with ohmmeter. But I think it is because of the build. I understood that its shitty when I built it, but was very keen to try it.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Yeah, I tested it with ohmmeter. But I think it is because of the build. I understood that its shitty when I built it, but was very keen to try it.

Does not sound like the best of plans. Might should take the time to build correctly so you don't end up getting hurt and welcome to VU by the way. This will be a good place to learn some good practices and not become an anti vape campaign poster child by having blown yourself up for being over eager to try something for the sake of trying it.

Maybe @Mattp169 can drop in and do his new mech user thing.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
And that's why you don't give a beginner a mech mod. Even after noticing its shitty, no shit was given. Someone remind me, why we try explaining safety and all that, if at the end this is the result?

DODoubleG

Member For 1 Year
Short?

Decisions, Decisions..

And that's why you don't give a beginner a mech mod. Even after noticing its shitty, no shit was given. Someone remind me, why we try explaining safety and all that, if at the end this is the result?

Guys, I remembered one thing. On the first day I vaped a lot and discharged my battery under 3.3v which is bad , it even said "poor cell" and didnt charge but I restarted the charged and it was charging normally. Might there be a connection between this and the thing that happened yesterday?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Guys, I remembered one thing. On the first day I vaped a lot and discharged my battery under 3.3v which is bad , it even said "poor cell" and didnt charge but I restarted the charged and it was charging normally. Might there be a connection between this and the thing that happened yesterday?

Yes, there does sound like a connection. IMO the connection is you need to spend some time learning about using mechanical mods, before just doing whatever it is you are doing now. Its one thing to go head first into something when you have an understanding of what you are getting into. Sounds like you are winging it, which is cool with video games and public speeches. Not with lithium batteries that you are putting near your mouth.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Done this a few times myself doing routine dry burns to clear gunk. Normally, it fizzes itself out, or I blow it out.

Coil Building Troubleshooting List
(The Build List)

• Did you check for hotspots or shorts?
Check
  • Could also be he coil touching the barrel as well.
Negative
  • Build a proper coil with apropos resistance of apropos ID and wick it properly.
Oh sure, now you tell me there's rules to doing this. Will you quit spoiling my fun? I better go look up some videos on how to build coils on YouTube. You all are going to have rules, better play the game by the rules.
  • Did you put the atty on a regulated mod or ohms meter after the incident to see if there were shorts?
Knew I would forget something, let me go get an ohm meter reading. Good thing I maybe printed this coil building troubleshooting list out to keep handy. New vapers, yes you, go ahead and print yourselves out a copy too. You got my permission, not that you need it. ;)

Build a proper coil with apropos resistance of apropos ID and wick it properly.

Agree.

What is the mod in play here?

Well, I use a single cell 1850 type of mech or an Eleaf Pico Squeeze. For me this helps avoiding hazards as I'm not the brightest bulb in the box regarding math and figuring out serial batteries, married batteries and so on. it hearkens to the K.I.S.S principle, Keep It Simple Silly. :)

I think if it was something wrong with switch and battery both would have lighten up. I think that this was because of how I installed the coils and thats it.. By the way, I tested the rda on the ohmmeter and it increased. :D It was 0.30 now its 0.34 strange isn't it? :)

Don't ever trust any machine, circuit board, computer to not break or not go fouled up on you. That happens and often in the most inopportune times. This is a cosmic engineering law often attributed to an old hack called Mr. Murphy. "If it can go wrong, it will." -- Murphy's Law Another force coming into play in regards of machines is entropy. "Everything breaks down and if it lives it dies." I think Sir Issac Newton may have coined that one after seeing Mr. Murphy's Law in effect.

An increase in your ohms is not altogether strange. Some of that does happen. Your ohms are still within 0.05 of what you say is your target ohms. That's not too much of a fluctuation, although if you give in to doing to proper building you can mitigate the fluctuation to ~+/-0.02 or even less of a tolerance. Keep in mind that heating your coil/s does help entropy as well as helping to increase fluctuation, you'll have that to a degree. I would worry more if you didn't have it.

Yep, don't need to see the picture. Trust what you saw in it and conveyed. I trust your word on it because I realize you're wanting everyone that vapes to do so safely, responsibly. You're not belittling anyone, or being some kind of hat that goes on the posterior. I've read enough of what you post to see that. :) You're a good 'un.

And yeah, an unbalanced heating does mean the build needs a) tweaked, b) replaced with a better built coil. I might know how to tweak coils into being good builds if I watch some coil building videos on YouTube. Many of them are under 10 minutes long and most are quite handily explained in an easy manner to understand. But nah, I'm not bothering. I can always come here and act a dumb ass. ;) :)

I understood that its shitty when I built it, but was very keen to try it.

:fyi::luck: This is your sign. Slow the fuck down. Know your role here. It is this, take your time to catch on to the basics. You had to crawl before you walked, walk before you ran. Vaping is like that as well. we don't just overnight wake up vaping gods, nope, don't happen. If you're chomping at the bit to try out a coil, stop. :cuss::no: You could also buy coils that are already built. I do, i like saving time and just a few cents of money. I cannot buy 100 feet of wire and get 100 perfect 0.50 ohm coils for less than oh, about $30 until I calculate in my labor. I can though buy 100 perfect or near perfect ones for around $4 USD. Then, all I need to do is put the coil into the deck, wick, vape. This might be something you consider doing if you find yourself too impatient.

Does not sound like the best of plans. Might should take the time to build correctly so you don't end up getting hurt

Agree.

IMO the connection is you need to spend some time learning about using mechanical mods, before just doing whatever it is you are doing now. Its one thing to go head first into something when you have an understanding of what you are getting into. Sounds like you are winging it, which is cool with video games and public speeches. Not with lithium batteries that you are putting near your mouth.

There you go, well said. Thanks.

VU Sponsors