Become a Patron!

Please Help! First rda || problems

Hello :D I have vaped for a while but always used tanks, I got my first rda second hand a few days ago, firstly I was wondering if anyone can tell me what model it is?
The issue I’m having is it isn’t producing much vapour yet it was fine on the previous owners mod, I’ve changed the coils even though they were new and rewicked, my first time wicking it may be too little wick but I had the same issues before I changed them. He said it could be my batteries are shot, would that be the only thing it could be? I’m sure the tank and mod are compatible as they’re both jay bo designs even though different manufacturers, I have two 0.4 Clapton coils in there if that matters. thank you in advance for any response :)
image_zpsmfzh4nns.jpg.html
image_zpsp1pb9kcv.jpg.html
image_zpsoxlqx7l6.jpg.html
image_zpspc2pnye3.jpg.html
image_zps7rurvj9l.jpg.html

Attachments

• EE14A11D-EC90-4AED-B416-7E0218666D76.jpeg
    EE14A11D-EC90-4AED-B416-7E0218666D76.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 42128F89-4BAD-48D6-BBF4-53B14F7BB3A1.jpeg
    42128F89-4BAD-48D6-BBF4-53B14F7BB3A1.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 18
  • CD947151-3C2B-4A5B-BD0A-31624201F679.jpeg
    CD947151-3C2B-4A5B-BD0A-31624201F679.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 17
  • EA1F7B70-575D-46AA-9275-5B48232631E0.jpeg
    EA1F7B70-575D-46AA-9275-5B48232631E0.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 8D1D7F7C-A7BC-471D-9A47-8CDFAB6CBEA6.jpeg
    8D1D7F7C-A7BC-471D-9A47-8CDFAB6CBEA6.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 15
  • C63152AE-52E2-4D95-AFF4-F9AB14F0D38D.jpeg
    C63152AE-52E2-4D95-AFF4-F9AB14F0D38D.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 17

flynncrem

Member For 1 Year
Line the coils up so they are basically symmetrical in line with the air flow. Air flow wide open increases vapour production but can slightly mute flavour.
If this still does nothing, then it probably is the batteries, as RDA’s often require more power
I recommend Sony VTC5 or VTC5a
I think your mod is a triple battery so be sure to ‘marry your batteries’ and even better, use a proper battery charger if you don’t use one already
Hope this helps
P.s. fuxk knows what that model is

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi mate
As I can see its Twisted messes 22 mm rda, (not sure its clone or authentic) and from your photo from top I can see one of your coils is outside deck, means its touching the body of rda.
In 22 mm, you shouldn't make big coils, 2.5mm is great on it.
So far I couldn't identify why you dn't have clouds. Does your airflow open?

Thank you all for your quick responses! :)
Yah coils and air holes on cap are in line when I put it on, how would I make the coils more central? wouldn’t it make one of the wraps of the coil pull away from the rest? I’m going to get new batteries this week definitely to be sure, I tried to get the coils as close as possible without touching the posts but I guess they must be as mentioned a little too big, I buy premade coils at the moment, do you have any recommendations for a better fit? I get clouds but they aren’t very big at all some are barely puffs ha and sometimes it takes a few pulses to even get that.
So new batteries and smaller coils should be my first fixes?
Again thank you guys for the quick responses :)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yah coils and air holes on cap are in line when I put it on, how would I make the coils more central? wouldn’t it make one of the wraps of the coil pull away from the rest? I’m going to get new batteries this week definitely to be sure, I tried to get the coils as close as possible without touching the posts but I guess they must be as mentioned a little too big, I buy premade coils at the moment, do you have any recommendations for a better fit? I get clouds but they aren’t very big at all some are barely puffs ha and sometimes it takes a few pulses to even get that.

You can actually take the wick out, and put a coiling jig/screwdriver with a slightly smalle diameter and gently pull to make the coil smaller :) and reinstall of course, snip off excess wire

You can also push the coil with the screwdriver inside it towards the middle of the deck

I also say put a tad more cotton in there

Don't know about your batteries, what wattage are you using?

flynncrem

Member For 1 Year
I’m new too and use pre made demon killer coils. My vapour is good but flavour bit muted, but anyway just use cermaic tweezers and Move the coils to the centre for now but when rebuilding this is a lot easier and you can make it perfect

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think you can with premade coils but you leave one leg longer to have it center

You can actually take the wick out, and put a coiling jig/screwdriver with a slightly smalle diameter and gently pull to make the coil smaller :) and reinstall of course, snip off excess wire

You can also push the coil with the screwdriver inside it towards the middle of the deck

I also say put a tad more cotton in there

Don't know about your batteries, what wattage are you using?

Oh sweet! I’m yet to get full set of tools but definitely going to try that to make the coil smaller, thank you! :)
I’ll try fresh coils again and keep longer legs to try moving the coil to the centre, ermm my batteries I know I shouldn’t have out of sets but I’ve only had single and double mods before so making do until fresh ones this week but I vape around 70-100 100w seems a bit too high though, yet my tfv12 tank I was using at 150,
My batteries drop voltage pretty quick too, I mean after a few hits say 10 hits they lose a few /10ths from 4.1-4.2 down to 4.0-3.8

So right,,, centralise coils, try make them smaller diameter, use a little more wicking
Again thank you all :D didn’t think I’d get a response in the same day let alone this quick :D

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
You can use a smaller diameter screwdriver, drill bit, paintbrush or whatever you can find round of a hard enough material and make them smaller. While I don't recommend it for obvious reasons in a pinch you can clamp down one side, slip in something smaller and pull the coil on the unclamped side to reduce the inside diameter.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh sweet! I’m yet to get full set of tools but definitely going to try that to make the coil smaller, thank you! :)
I’ll try fresh coils again and keep longer legs to try moving the coil to the centre, ermm my batteries I know I shouldn’t have out of sets but I’ve only had single and double mods before so making do until fresh ones this week but I vape around 70-100 100w seems a bit too high though, yet my tfv12 tank I was using at 150,
My batteries drop voltage pretty quick too, I mean after a few hits say 10 hits they lose a few /10ths from 4.1-4.2 down to 4.0-3.8

So right,,, centralise coils, try make them smaller diameter, use a little more wicking
Again thank you all :D didn’t think I’d get a response in the same day let alone this quick :D

That's pretty high wattage...just me, I would also unwrap one loop, and make the coil smaller in diameter, and try around 60 watts, you don't have to crank it in RDAs to get great results, just hot enough for the coil to not take ages to get hot and make vapors :)

@jwill sorry to sound dim but why would it not be recommended to shrink the diameter? I’ve never fiddled with my own coils or anything before so I really have no idea, just worried my batts night vent or explode haha

@Pegleg Meg will undoing one loop change the resistance of the coil at all? I see people use low as 45w with more cloud than I get at 60, I tried hitting it at 60 just now and I got pretty much nothing from it :/ how long do you normally draw for? I only hit I t for a second or two seconds max on my tank but my rda seems to need at least 2 to 3 seconds with not as good clouds :/, I get the odd nice vape but the majority are poor.

I’m going to give all these ideas a go either after my shift or tomorrow and I’ll come back with how it goes if I dont get blown up ha!

Thank you all again I really appreciate the help :D

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
@jwill sorry to sound dim but why would it not be recommended to shrink the diameter? I’ve never fiddled with my own coils or anything before so I really have no idea, just worried my batts night vent or explode haha

@Pegleg Meg will undoing one loop change the resistance of the coil at all? I see people use low as 45w with more cloud than I get at 60, I tried hitting it at 60 just now and I got pretty much nothing from it :/ how long do you normally draw for? I only hit I t for a second or two seconds max on my tank but my rda seems to need at least 2 to 3 seconds with not as good clouds :/, I get the odd nice vape but the majority are poor.

I’m going to give all these ideas a go either after my shift or tomorrow and I’ll come back with how it goes if I dont get blown up ha!

Thank you all again I really appreciate the help :D

It is recommended in this case, just not using the method stated unless in a pinch (meaning you dont have the tools to do it off the RDA).

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
It is recommended in this case, just not using the method stated unless in a pinch (meaning you dont have the tools to do it off the RDA).

And take the batteries out while doing it so you dont accidentally hit the fire button while tugging on it.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Besides the coil issue others mentioned I will point out the wick. Make sure you fluff your cotton before putting it in the coils, then fluff out the tails. Cotton should lay on the deck but not to a point were it clumps up. If you want to keep tails longer make sure you move them to underneath the coils, not blocking any bottom or side post airflow if it has that. I can see on the pictures that the bottom of your wick is dripping wet and you have enough juice in the well, great but look at the top/middle section, its not much saturation, I do not assume you just took a hit as you took the pic, that let me believe that while its saturated enough to prevent dry or/and burnt hit, its not enough to deliver overall flavor and cloud production. Try it as I mentioned and see if that makes it better, of course after the coils are adjusted.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I thought Oen already proved fluffing didn't matter?
/chuckle
Might be but pictures do tell a other story. That's all evidence I need, but then again I dont run tiny coils in a deck like that with my coils off the sides and wondering about cloud/flavor production.

Its taken a couple days I’ve struggled to find time to fiddle lol.
So I’ve found one of the problems as to not firing properly. I rewicked and while cleaning I checked for hotspots etc and noticed a hotspot on one leg of a coil where it connects to the post, one coil fires fine one coil doesn’t fire at all, i googled around a bit and ended up jiggling the coil and tightening as much as possible and it got rid of the hotspot at the leg/post connection, but it still didn’t make both coils fire evenly, I cannot get a full set of batteries in one go but getting a full set of tools today then I will try making smaller diameter coils and taking one wrap out of each, but I rewicked with smaller tails so they don’t clog the well of the deck, now after a couple of hits it ramps okay and I get nicer clouds now, but still not as big as I’d like but getting better there, local shop advised using different coils like flat wire possibly

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Might try grabbing a spool of 22 or 24 gauge wire when you scoop up your tools and starting with some simple coil builds while you learn the ropes. Makes the experimentation and learning process less expensive than buying premade coils of decent quality.

VU Sponsors