Please share your steep tips or trick

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@buffaloguy
Spreading misinformation, conspiracy theories and defying logic? Now that seems a bit of a reach.

I'm encouraging discourse, questioning the metrics, and choosing to think for myself. So let's just agree that we disagree.

All fine and good but that discourse is for a different thread. There is no discourse to discuss here unless you plan to develop another faster and more effective steeping method which I wholeheartedly encourage you to do. As it stands now you have two choices for steeping juice and getting great results.

1) Heat steeping.
2) Waiting days, weeks, or even months.

Youre refusal to accept others wholly quantifiable results and dismiss them with no basis in fact is the problem I have with what you are even attempting to discuss.

You pointed to articles discussing oxidation caused by heat. I debunked it and you cherry picked (called me out) my statements as some kind of voodoo diy mixer with no science to stand on. I do will not allow anyone to paint that picture of me, and others, while at the same time telling me you appreciate the work to patronize me.

Maybe Im wrong here and something is lost in translation but if you want to discuss voodoo steeping and some kind of fanciful baseline to suit your idea of whatever that is, or should be, you can do that in another thread. Ill even be glad to contribute some voodoo ideas for ya too. I got alot of em Im not crazy enough to actually try.

memvapr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Calcilculcelcol
This is your thread, and I apologize if you feel I've taken it off track. My overarching theme was to illustrate that steeping is at best a contentious topic and I think that's been illustrated quite well.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Calcilculcelcol
This is your thread, and I apologize if you feel I've taken it off track. My overarching theme was to illustrate that steeping is at best a contentious topic and I think that's been illustrated quite well.

Just as a thought - it's very easy to test for yourself. Take a control sample, and try different 'steeping' methods on other samples. Compare the results, and you can see for yourself! Our tests were really very simple, and anyone can do them.

barberguy

Member For 4 Years
hey buffaloguy this is barberguy what a never mind I just want to clarify something I hope you were not pointing out your last couple statements at me
" Spreading misinformation, conspiracy theories and defying logic? Now that seems a bit of a reach."
I just asked a question never once did I say I a master at this I was just asking just making sure I am not stepping on anybodys toes here
JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY AND make sure of that thanks for listening you all

crimboss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
500.JPG Been thinking of trying a electric whisk,anybody use one?I think it would aerate very well and I think that's what we want to speed up steeping.

Edit...
Milk Frother

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I recently did my first slow cooker steeping. Two fresh DIY mixes for 8 hours on the keep warm setting.
before/after
IMG_4004.jpg IMG_4005.jpg
The one on the left was all fruits (FA) peach, pineapple, papaya, lemon sicily. The right is HICs Limoncello Torrone Parfait.
They both darkened a bit. In the one on the left all of the fruits mellowed out and became less discernible from each other and I'm now wanting more sweetness. The LTP improved greatly, the lemon sicily and meringue melded into a perfect lemon meringue pie flavor but the torrone also came through much stronger to my taste. Seems like a proper steep to me.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently did my first slow cooker steeping. Two fresh DIY mixes for 8 hours on the keep warm setting.
before/after
View attachment 4893 View attachment 4894
The one on the left was all fruits (FA) peach, pineapple, papaya, lemon sicily. The right is HICs Limoncello Torrone Parfait.
They both darkened a bit. In the one on the left all of the fruits mellowed out and became less discernible from each other and I'm now wanting more sweetness. The LTP improved greatly, the lemon sicily and meringue melded into a perfect lemon meringue pie flavor but the torrone also came through much stronger to my taste. Seems like a proper steep to me.

I've never steeped fruits that long - did the lemon fade? I do find that even after steeping, a couple of days later the mix seems to have settled down and 'finished.'

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've never steeped fruits that long - did the lemon fade? I do find that even after steeping, a couple of days later the mix seems to have settled down and 'finished.'
I think maybe the lemon held up best. The peach and papaya were very bold before hand and they were muted the most. I think the lemon actually came out even more in the LTP. The peach faded the most for me, I can still taste the papaya but not as bold and I'm not sure about the pineapple I think it is mixing in with the others.

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think maybe the lemon held up best. The peach and papaya were very bold before hand and they were muted the most. I think the lemon actually came out even more in the LTP. The peach faded the most for me, I can still taste the papaya but not as bold and I'm not sure about the pineapple I think it is mixing in with the others.

Fruits dont usually need the steep time of tobaccos. The only time I will steep for more than four hours in a crockpot is if its a large batch of juice 200ml or more. Then I go six hours.

Fruit recipes generally dont need as much steep time as tobaccos or bakery type vapes. One thing to note though is if the fruit recipes you are making contain any additives like ethyl maltol, sweeteners, or actual real lemon juice. All can mute fruit flavors within 72 hours of mixing them and will continue to mute even more over time.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK, I won't steep that one anymore. Thanks.

That is the great thing about DIY. If it works for you then it doesn't matter what anyone else does. :p
Next batch try it right away. If it is just as good as what you have now then you know it is not needed.
Some things will change and some won't. You be the judge.

barberguy

Member For 4 Years
hi everyone grants custard is coming how many people would say it needs steeping ????????
and how many will say do it now
let me know

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last year when I had a custard craze I had some Grants. Mine was good right away - no steeping needed.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny, I can't stand custard anymore! But I had a thing for Bryce's vanilla custard, and I liked Grants. I never liked any others, although I do know that Nicoticket's CLS is very popular.

Kent Brooks

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Wholeseller
VU Vendor
VU Vendor Employee
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny, I can't stand custard anymore! But I had a thing for Bryce's vanilla custard, and I liked Grants. I never liked any others, although I do know that Nicoticket's CLS is very popular.

I'm the guy who drives his Prius 45mph on the interstate. My best steeping trick - hide the bottles. :p Bakery vapes in general, and custard specifically, are notoriously deep steeps. I've tried a wide variety of speed-steeping techniques, but I have found none that don't alter the flavor of the liquid. Exposure to heat has a tendency to change the flavor of liquid. Protracted exposure to air does, also.

If the liquid is pre-steeped... pulse the bottle to allow fresh air in the bottle, shake, cap, and return to storage in a cool/dark location away from air, children, pets, and other vapers. LOL Periodically revisit the bottle (once a week or so), rinse and repeat.

If the liquid is NOT pre-steeped, a period of airing the liquid out (not more than 24 hours) may be required. Pulse the bottle, shake, allow the bubbles to filter through the liquid with the cap and drip-tip insert off. Shake every 2-4 hours (as often as possible). The, resume regular steeping.

I can only use CLS as a benchmark, other manufacturers will certainly make other recommendations specific to their liquid, but... we generally pre-steep for a period of 2-6 weeks (depends on demand, and nic level - 6mg tends to get less steep time as compared to 12mg and 18mg). Despite the generous pre-steep, we still recommend a minimum of 2 weeks steeping time, AND, we have seen bottles continue to improve even up to 3-4 months after they have been mixed. As a general rule our liquid is 'ready-to-vape' when it arrives, regardless - but it will continue to improve with time and patience.

One final thought - always purchase custard based vapes a month before you intend using them. I know there are sometimes budgetary constraints, and pre-steeping certainly helps the mean time to vape - but it's a good practice regardless of which custard you enjoy (and there are LOTS of good ones out there!) Our regulars typically have anywhere from 100-250ml of liquid on hand at any given time. Once they crack a 50ml bottle, it's time to order another and put it in the closet to steep.

Kent Brooks

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Wholeseller
VU Vendor
VU Vendor Employee
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fruit recipes generally dont need as much steep time as tobaccos or bakery type vapes.

This is true - if you are low on liquid and need something ready to vape FOOB - look for a simple fruit, a menthol. Complex fruits can take some time to balance, but they are still significantly shorter steeps as compared to (most) bakery vapes.

Good advice here buffaloguy.

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can someone walk me through " using a crock pot for steeping the times and how much water etc etc

Here is what I do - proceed at your won risk:

Make sure crock pot ($10.00 from Walmart) will not overheat - around 150° F is the tops. (eBay aquarium digital thermometer with probe - $5.00 inc shipping.) Do this before you start using real juice. I use a timer - 15 mins on & 15 mins off - once I get to about 140° F. ($5.00 from Walmart) to keep the temp stable. (140° - 155° F)

Use glass bottles for steeping in the CP. Use water proof labels (Brother P-touch) or colored rubber bands to identify the individual juice(s) being steeped.

Insert juice bottles, fill with water to neck of juice bottles. Turn on CP. As it heats, and about every hour or so, carefully loosen lid on each juice bottle to allow out gassing and also shake the hell out of them.

Let them sit for their duration. Sometimes I have left them for as much as 8 hours...

From here on, it is up to you. "Should steak be eaten medium rare or well done?"

YMMV

barberguy

Member For 4 Years
so rowdyplace I am unclear as to when you pop them in water how long do you leave them in water and also lids are tight or loose thanks

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I fill them to "normal" full - each bottle is slightly different. That does leave a little space at the top. Caps on tightly. Do not want any leakage in or out...
I leave them in the water for 4 - 8+ hours. Only pulling them out periodically to loosen cap for out gassing and then re tighten, shaking like hell, and return to the water. Yes, the bottles are hot, so be careful! Upon completion of the desired heat cycle (very subjective - based on the content being steeped), I unplug the CP and let all cool down together. "When do I stop?" is where your taste come in...Remember the steak?

BuddJohnson

Member For 4 Years
Does the oxygenation process influence the steep?
I run with this theory in mind and leave 20% air space in new mixes.

barberguy

Member For 4 Years
hey rowdy thankyou
also having custard, chocolate, blueberry , butterscotch, cheesecake, watermelon
rowdy I and everyone else have a million flavors but have you come across hypothetically
does chocolate take 8 hours
cheesecake 7 hours
blueberry 4 hours
any thoughts

thanks again

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have found that most single flavor mixes dont need steeping unless you use a high % flavor. most other mixes seem to require some steep time. most of my dual flavor mixes require up to 2 weeks to fully mature and taste right.

Exchaner

Member For 5 Years
Hi everyone, I personally find that an old fashioned vacuum sealed Thermos will perform just as effectively as a crockpot minus the hassles. An efficient one like the ones below keep the liquid warm for over 5 hours. The heat loss is minimal - approximately 5 degrees per hour for a stainless steel one, and much much less for a glass one. The loss is easy to compensate for by adding a bit of boiling water at every hour. The only draw back is the narrow opening which limits the size of the bottle it can accommodate - 30 -50 ml. For bigger bottles you can use a food jar that works on the same vacuum insulation principal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AHASWM/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1418022016&sr=1&keywords=33105a

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hi everyone, I personally find that an old fashioned vacuum sealed Thermos will perform just as effectively as a crockpot minus the hassles. ...

I'll second that! On the rare occasion that I heat steep something, that's what I do, and it's really convenient.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok gang... steeping is something I know well. Im the guy from ECF that nailed down the most used method for crock pot steeping. So rather than heading over to that other vaping forum and reading thru hundreds of pages and thousands of posts on testing using crock pots or UC's Ill keep it simple for you. Also adding some recent scientific tests to my info done by another member of that very forum.

First off those tests. They show that a HEATED UC and crock pot steeping will offer nearly indescernable results in the same amount of time. My advice is if you have a crock pot at home dont run out and buy an ultrasonic cleaner to steep juice. Its just not necessary. Im still waiting on more info regarding nicotine concentration loss when heating juice but it looks to be negligible, if at all, based on the temps we are using. So have at it. Ill update with more info if I find out that changes at all.

So my tried and true, tested for two years and counting method. Also done by many many others with stellar results.

1) Fill crock with hot water to below the level of the neck of your bottles.
2) Put crock on low heat setting to heat up. It should be at or near 150° F for steeping. This is your target temp and what you want to maintain for the duration of your steeping.
3) Mix your juice. I personally use glass boston round dropper bottles.
4) Cap it, hard shake it by hand till mixed thru.
5) Once mixed if you prefer to "off gas" any alc base flavoring or heavy aromas in your juice (liquor flavors or heavy floral scents for example) place it in the crock pot with the cap off for the first hour. Then cap for duration. If thats of no concern, cap it and put your juice in the crock.
6) Let it sit in that crock at 150° for a total of four hours. You can go longer but you will likely find it unnecessary.

This four hours will shave about 2 to 2.5 weeks off your steeping for ANY juice. All tobaccos included. Even the most stubborn of them. Shaking is absolutely unnecessary with this method. The heating causes the juice to mix and all on its own.

Yes, you can put it in the closet for weeks. On a window sill. In a hot car, or even in your bra and itll be just fine.... in time. A crock saves time, and effort. Plus this is a hell of alot easier than dropping bottles in reheated cups of water over, and over, and over again (how I started using my crock was because of that).

Ive been mixing juice over two years. Im a mostly VG guy too btw, 80% VG usually. Its the method I use and Ive used all the others as well. It is the best way to do it.

But, use any method you like and gives results you prefer. I just dont like waiting weeks on my tobacco flavors and I vape alot of them. I used to closet steep when I first started mixing, never again will I do so. Even if I know a juice needs four weeks for full maturity itll still go in the crock for four hours just to shave a couple weeks off it, and it works for that as well.

And no, microwaving juice is a bad idea esp in plastic bottles. More so if the flavoring is a tank cracker containing triacetin, a plasticizer used in making flavorings. Use glass folks. Its better and lasts longer, looks nicer, and preserves juices better.

Have fun!
I myself prefer this method and use it religiously. I have 0 patience for some things, and waiting on a juice to mature when I wanted it to vape right now, is one of them. Was using my wife's crock pot until she hid it from me...lol. Now I have my own...BEST way of all I feel to mature your juices, period.

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I see that no one has even mentioned the use of *seed* steeping!? From what I understand it is a very nifty thing to use on some of the really hard to steep tobaccos. Like TFAs Black Honey(tobacco) which can take over 5 weeks to fully steep the long way. What I will do is make at least a 30ml batch and let it time steep, testing along the way every week or so. When it gets where I want it to be I will take 10ml and mix it with another 20ml of freshly mixed juice. The beauty of this is that the already steeped juice will speed steep the newly added in a week to 10 days. And as far as I know (from reading a whole thread on this flavor) it is not a heat steepable juice. IMHO ;) Was told this works for all steepable juices so may even work for dessert and cream types and need less days to perform it's magic, any thoughts?o_O

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have never had black honey take that long to steep but then again i mix small batches. Any recipe that has more than one flavor i premix the flavors weeks before i will need it that way the flavors have already steeped together. Makes mixing later with nic and vg faster to use

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
"i have never had black honey take that long to steep but then again i mix small batches." So how big of a batch at a time and please what percentage?:)

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kinda funny.

I remember having an inexpensive vibrating jewelry cleaner. I suspected I had gotten rid of it, but went looking for it just in case it was still around the house. I didn't find it but did find an old vibrating massager that belonged to my grandfather. It's the kind that has these springy metal things that go around your hand and you can massage your neck or back or whatever.

So, I got a coffee can, put the massager in it. Then I wrap the juice that needs mixing in a towel or dishrag and put it in the can. Then turn it on! Voila.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
When I first started with DIY it was tough to do; but, after a few months and settling on what I really like I've finally gotten into a rhythm of what I use and whats seeping.
I don't do anything special: mix a batch, put it in a box and hide it for a few weeks. The few times ice gotten in a pinch is'll leave it in the truck for a day 'on accident' and it'll taste perfect, the color is off a little bit but oh well.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What I do is when I make spaghetti I put all my bottles in with it for 7 minutes works every time like minute rice but 7 minutes of minute rice

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What I do is when I make spaghetti I put all my bottles in with it for 7 minutes works every time like minute rice but 7 minutes of minute rice
You boil your juice with your pasta?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You boil your juice with your pasta?
Yes I think its the best method its a very very unscientific ideology sometimes it could be stew when it simmers. See I make only Max Vg juice and due to the lack of PG to ward off any bugs its kinda like distilling or canning kill the bugs then seal it.. If you for example make some juice and use only 3% or maybe no PG VG is a haven for bacteria and bacteria laiden juice stinks and it also smells and Im not conviced that vaping or the coils kills all of it. Or you can add a significant form of citrus based something and forget everything I said before. :)

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Interesting...
what about the plastic?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting...
what about the plastic?
you can never truly clean plastic as its porous ala the reason that hypodermic needles are thrown away some plastic's can be eaten by some bacteria.
Now don't ask why hypodermic needles are plastic instead of some new form of glass that may scare you to death.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I
you can never truly clean plastic as its porous ala the reason that hypodermic needles are thrown away some plastic's can be eaten by some bacteria.
Now don't ask why hypodermic needles are plastic instead of some new form of glass that may scare you to death.
My concern wouldn't be some bad chemicals, more of that funky 'plastic' taste like when you put the left over spag-n-balls in the microwave too long. All glass bottles I've tried had the plastic cap and seal still, and i'm to cheap to buy bottles, I just reuse what I have . i'm not trying to be difficult dude, when I saw the thread about trying to steep I got curious if there were a better way than what i do and before I put plastic to heat and I get that funky taste I was just asking. I taught myself DIY, since whenever I asked questions at that other site I got in trouble.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I

My concern wouldn't be some bad chemicals, more of that funky 'plastic' taste like when you put the left over spag-n-balls in the microwave too long. All glass bottles I've tried had the plastic cap and seal still, and i'm to cheap to buy bottles, I just reuse what I have . i'm not trying to be difficult dude, when I saw the thread about trying to steep I got curious if there were a better way than what i do and before I put plastic to heat and I get that funky taste I was just asking. I taught myself DIY, since whenever I asked questions at that other site I got in trouble.
Ever seen plastic eaten? You have a great point about glass and plastic I guess if you are not sealing the plastic with cork or metal that melds itself to the glass its a no win scenario. I think your answer requires more research on my part and your own. haha now you made me think I know a bit about plastic and its origins and Its not what one thinks the original plastic was made from Milk Casein Ive made it but never successfully hardened it the way that Ive seen it which requires a bath in formaldehyde which I tried and it still never got as hard as I thought it would, its a forgotten science due to the cost of protein based hydro bonding stuff that is beyond our current thought of anything that is not derived from oil.

dnezarmichael

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use glassware, I mix the flavors with water or pg, then add in the vg. I then microwave for about 10-15 seconds, mix again with a electric frothier. I then put it in my ultrasonic cleaner for a bit then transfer to a crockpot (lowest setting).

After a couple of hours I shake the bottles really good and then put them back into the ultrasonic cleaner with the tops off in cool water. When they are cooled I put them under my art desk with the tops on tight.

IMHO, if a mix is good, it will taste decent even before steeped. I basically steep just to make sure that the ingredients are mixed thoroughly and are on their way.

I never add nic to a mix until it has stabilized (Tastes Good at least 3 times in mixes), Since I use either Nude Nic or Vapertech, it doesnt change the overall flavor.

I never worry about steeping pure fruit mix, anything else gets a steep.

If its a simple mix, say 3 flavors, it gets a simple steep, if its a complex mix, say 5+ it gets a longer steep so that the flavors will blend better (It might be all in my head but my tastebuds say differently)

I have
You people make me feel like an amateur. I "pocket steep" my juices. I mix in the evening and put the fresh bottles in my pants pocket when I go to work. After 10 hours at 98.6 degrees, my juice always seems well steeped to me. Some mixes take 2 shifts. ;)

I have used my cleavage before, I think it is warm and that is what matters.

I am still trying to get my head around the steeping methods but I am definitely going to try with a slow cooker (crockpot).

VU Sponsors