Become a Patron!

popcorn lung is it real risk

jameson756

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
is popcorn lung a real risk of vaping,or is theri a very low chance of getting it from diactyl

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tend to think that if it was a real risk, we'd have seen a sharp uptick in number of cases of bronchiolitis obliterans... but it's still as mercifully rare as it ever has been. Plus the fact that cigarettes have more diacetyl than any ejuice ever thought about having.

I personally try to avoid all diketones, where possible, but that's more about my own neuroses than any actual risk.

Andria

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah i just read that tobacco has more i was suprised it even had it in it

Diacetyl is a naturally-occurring chemical in a great many foods; tobacco is a plant, so it's not really surprising at all. Mother Nature doesn't have an FDA; in plants, you get the bad with the good. If you eat diacetyl, it's perfectly safe; it's just the inhalation of it that *might* be problematic. Truthfully, the condition is so rare, it's really hard to know ALL the "facts" about it, even to those who research such things. I'm thinking, due to the non-increasing reports of it, that it's possible that the "popcorn lung" results strictly from inhaling POWDER that contains diacetyl, especially since inhaling ANY solid might be troublesome in many ways.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That malady got the name popcorn lung when a handful of longterm workers in a microwave popcorn factory got it and it was blamed on long-term (ten-years plus) inhalation of powdered popcorn butter flavoring

It has never been scientifically linked to smoking cigarettes or vaping juice with diacetyl

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
is popcorn lung a real risk of vaping,or is theri a very low chance of getting it from diactyl

No one I know of has ever got it from vaping and people have been vaping since around 2007.

Having said that, in another 10, 20 or 50 years we may well know more. There are a lot of things we are exposed to today as a matter of course that have not been researched well enough to know the exact risks of. One day we will probably know more about those too :)

I make my own juices and avoid ingredients I know are high in diacetyl ... but I don't obsess over it. Works for me, but YMMV as always.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I prefer diketone liquid

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I prefer diketone liquid

Too many of my good flavors have it and frankly, after smoking for almost 40 years, I believe the risk really isn't there

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Too many of my good flavors have it and frankly, after smoking for almost 40 years, I believe the risk really isn't there
Right?
I have no doubt that one day, they'll be an exposure issue. Especially since some of us go through 20 ml a day (myself included). But, compared to cigarettes, it won't even come close.

That said, I'll keep my creamy diketone

BAM crew

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm almost 60, been smokin stinkies for 30+ switched to vaping about 5+. So, popcorn lung is the least I'm worried about. Now, where did I put that bottle of sweet caramel popcorn liquid? My tank is running low and wifey is picking me up in a while to go shopping .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors