Become a Patron!

Portable storage

Woody213

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So my wifes in the military and we move every couple of years and I'm starting to get quite a bit of gear and juice. I am looking for something to put my gear in. It doesn't need to be bullet proof but because of space restrictions the bulk of my gear will have to go into the moving truck when we move. I know some people use a train case and some people use a tray style tackle box. I found quite a few of each but anything of a decent size becomes really expensive really quick.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Does anyone use a smaller train case/toolbox/tackle box that can tell me how much gear fits in one?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure how much gear you've got or what your budget is. Have you checked out rolling toolcarts or toolboxes? Found a couple on amazon for around $40-50, plastic with multiple compartments. They have a small handle and wheels like a smaller suitcase. Stalwart makes one that's a combination of a couple boxes with an overall size of around 17.5" x 10" x 24.5" tall. Another called a keter masterloader has multiple storage areas, also around $50. Husky makes a 25gal one that's got 8" wheels, it's 35" by 22" by 15" for around $60.

If it doesn't need to roll and you just need something temporary for cheaper, maybe check those plastic drawer bins at someplace like walmart, I think sterilite makes them. They have different sizes that stack, you could tape the drawers shut with packing or duct tape for the trip then repurpose once you get to where you're headed. Might have to pack things like mods wrapped in socks or old tshirts to pad them, put juice bottles in plastic ziplock bags in case they leak and use older clothing to fill in the gaps so they don't bounce around so much.

You could likely pad several mods, batteries (in plastic cases) and juice (in bags) in a smaller plastic toolbox, stanley's got some that are like $10 for a 16" smaller toolbox. They're pretty tough for a cheaper box, I've got a couple I used for screwdrivers, wrenches and things and used it to tote a few tools back and forth from work to home. The case is firm enough to set things on top of it without crushing it. I mean I wouldn't stand on it but it didn't fall apart around an auto shop.

Woody213

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was looking at some of those rolling tool carts, most have large compartments, at least the ones I saw. Ill have to relook. I could probably spend $40 or so and be ok with that. The sterilite drawers are what I use now and theyre a giant pain in the ass. Theyre fine if they just sit but they arent very sturdy when being moved around.

As of now I probably have 20 rdas, 10 tube mechs, 10 box mechs and 4 reg. Plus tons of juice, probably 50 batteries and a bunch of random other crap.

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's just for moving, why not just wrap up your gear and put it in a cardboard box. I keep my attys in a tackle box, and my mods and juice on a shelf.

UnholiestSpork

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an old tard (?) article kit and a couple antique lunch boxes that I keep my stuff in. All my rda's are in drilled and lined wood, as are my tanks that I don't have boxes for any longer. It keeps them from rattling about in the lunch boxes, and from getting scratches or damaged from movement. My bottles are in an old egg foam lined box, and the equipment for my rda's are in individual boxes and containers. The actual mods are in the Tard article kit, more like an old makeup kit then a zip up tard article kit.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use a tackle box for attys and build materials (wire, tools, jigs)
in the past year I've moved twice and the tackle box has been great for both moves.
Its one of the tackle bags with removable plastic trays. When it's in transit I also put the batteries in the box. (Batteries in cases, cases in the box)
For the mods, I wrap them in bubble wrap and put those in a regular box.
Keep in mind this is for a fairly large amount of gear.
One in my current home I setup a little vape station with mod shelf, build station, charger, battery bin and the tacklebox in an easy to grab location.
The method would work well for a go bag of sorts with a few mods dropping into some compartments of the tacklebox.
This is the box is use.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/PLANO-Elite-Tackle-Bag-with-Five-3750s/30154585?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222223021930387&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=m&wl3=10363740149&wl4=kwd-1105783666912&wl12=30154585_10000005300&wl14=plano tacklebag&veh=se
b9d94dc3-6f6b-4b43-a587-833f1d33ab19_1.f0b23b051eee23d9074d7cf0f5860dd6.jpeg

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I took another look at the tool box I ordered and it's not going to be anywhere near big enough for me in the long run. So I've been looking around for other options and this is the one I'm hoping the hubster okays.

icDz5XPATKCG._UX240_TTW__.jpg

61ydatD8-AL._SX522_.jpg

61jPS26uwxL._SX522_.jpg

Woody213

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I took another look at the tool box I ordered and it's not going to be anywhere near big enough for me in the long run. So I've been looking around for other options and this is the one I'm hoping the hubster okays.

icDz5XPATKCG._UX240_TTW__.jpg

Thats waht I was looking for but I didnt see any for less that $100 or so.

Last edited:

Woody213

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Fyi I believe this is the same but cheaper
Comie 3 in 1 Pro Aluminum Rolling Makeup Case Salon Cosmetic Box Organizer Trolley Train Case Wheeled Artist Travel

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is my stuff.

20171017_143224.jpg

20171017_143312.jpg

Bottom level is my large stuff like PG and VG bottles:

20171017_144712.jpg

Middle section (which is a lift-out tray sitting on the bottom section) has my DIY materials, extra attys and miscellaneous flotsam:

20171017_144736.jpg

Top section has my tools and whatnot needed for building coils, and if you look in the section below the cantilevered trays, you'll see several of my extra mods sitting on the right side, standing upright. The trays are more than tall enough to store attys upright.

20171017_144930.jpg

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Still drooling over this Khassy. Might have to get one for myself this christmas.

VU Sponsors