Become a Patron!

Post a Picture Any Picture (that you took)

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My mom's little ankle biters.
c72986610179cad71abf071e8dce5f60.jpg

She looks so cute in her little outfit.
08714a32802addc810158d8011258800.jpg
Squeeee!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I really wish I could afford a DSLR. :(

However with the small cameras I *can* afford, I'm looking forward to getting another Nikon. I had an 8MP Nikon that absolutely ROCKED, till the image-stabilization went out and made all the pics come out yellow and blurry. I made the mistake of buying a Canon, to replace it; it's a 16MP, and while there's nothing really WRONG with it... the pics just aren't "ALIVE!" the way the Nikon's pics were. It's gotta be the lenses.

Next time: NIKON OR NOTHING!

Andria

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really wish I could afford a DSLR. :(

However with the small cameras I *can* afford, I'm looking forward to getting another Nikon. I had an 8MP Nikon that absolutely ROCKED, till the image-stabilization went out and made all the pics come out yellow and blurry. I made the mistake of buying a Canon, to replace it; it's a 16MP, and while there's nothing really WRONG with it... the pics just aren't "ALIVE!" the way the Nikon's pics were. It's gotta be the lenses.

Next time: NIKON OR NOTHING!

Andria

I've never had a DSLR either, can't afford it. Best camera I have is a used Canon G10 I picked up on eBay for like $70.

The Canon preview on the LCD doesn't always match the image.
More than likely, it's camera settings. There are a LOT of them.

I do both RAW on the newer Canon G10 "bridge" type camera and JPG on the older A720is and A520. But a little massaging in DPP or Lightroom does wonders if your color/exposure/etc. is off.
Helps to have a custom preset for your lighting, few of us have a reliable color temp via lightbulbs. Tungsten does not fit all. ;)

Here's some images I just took with my thrift-store $1.50 Canon A520 that has no CR2 battery so it thinks it's 1980. LOL!

It's using a White Balance for my kitchen, but depending on time of day, the season, sunlight, what lightbulbs I use, etc. the WB changes in there from hour to hour. The WB preset is basically just a reference point for me. :rolleyes:

Sausage/mushroom/pepper Omlette with Cheese Overload!

hwx30wCl.jpg

wm5KwtGl.jpg

ID2ixQ6l.jpg

That's with cheap Chinese CFL bulbs, weak sunlight from one side and a different color temp of light filtering in from the other side. It's a 1970s Galley-style kitchen in a 1BR Apt., so lighting is a PITA.

Here is one of the same images as-is out of the camera:
IMG_0244.JPG

Pretty big difference, eh? Color is off, but the image itself is fine.
It took me like 30 seconds to fix those three images in LR. :)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BTW, DPP does a great job of simply adjusting images and respects the Canon camera faithful settings because it IS Canon software.
LR uses an Adobe Standard profile which tends to be terribly wrong most of the time.

https://digital-photo-professional.en.lo4d.com/

This is what it looks like, my screenshot. The download works fine. And, it's free. :)

dpp-4.10.jpg

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've never had a DSLR either, can't afford it. Best camera I have is a used Canon G10 I picked up on eBay for like $70.

The answer to that is complicated..but in short, the Canon preview on the LCD doesn't match the image, usually.

More than likely, it's your camera settings. There are a LOT of them.
If you shoot on full-auto, well..good luck as you aren't controlling the light and how it's captured.. I mainly use Av or Tv modes myself.

It depends a lot too on if you shoot RAW, RAW+JPG, or just JPG.

I do both RAW on the newer Canon G10 "bridge" type camera and JPG on the older A720is and A520. But a little massaging in DPP or Lightroom does wonders if your color/exposure/etc. is off.

Always have a custom preset for your lighting, few of us have a reliable color temp via lightbulbs. Tungsten does not fit all. ;)

Here's some images I just took with my thrift-store $1.50 Canon A520 that has no CR2 battery so it thinks it's 1980..LOLZ!
It's using a calibrated White Balance for my kitchen, but depending on time of day, the season, sunlight, what lightbulbs I use, etc. the WB changes in there from hour to hour. The WB preset is basically just a reference point for me. :rolleyes:

Sausage/mushroom/pepper Omlette with Cheese Overload!

hwx30wCl.jpg

wm5KwtGl.jpg

ID2ixQ6l.jpg

That's with shitty Chinese CFL bulbs, weak sunlight from one side and a different color temp of light filtering in from the other side...it's a 1970s Galley-style kitchen. Lighting is a PITA.

Here is one of the images as-is out of the camera:
View attachment 134523

Pretty obvious difference. But, it took me like 30 seconds to fix those three images in LR. :)

I don't know enough about "professional photography" to set any of those things in the camera. I take pics with whatever settings were set when I got it, and then I edit the pics in Photoshop, to fix the light/color, and zoom in to the actual subject of the pic -- I can do Photoshop pretty much in my sleep, but there are no instructions for the camera! I do the same with pics I take with my phone -- fix the color/light in Photoshop, crop to zero in on the pic's subject.

But I used my Nikon the same way -- and the pics it took were INCREDIBLE compared to those from the Canon! They nearly came to life! Actually though... the Nikon came with a little manual, so I did RTFM, and learned to set certain things -- the Canon came with a disc, but no manual, and I don't even know what was on the disc, or where that disc is now -- I still have the Nikon manual, bundled up with the Nikon, which still takes great pics 1) outdoors in bright light, 2) when mounted on a tripod. I gather that since the stabilization doesn't work anymore, it can only take good pics with the absolute fastest shutter speed, which is only possible in bright light -- and when mounted on a tripod, there's no shake from human hands, so no blurriness.

So as I said... really looking forward to getting another Nikon.

Andria

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can get you a manual, what model is it? :)

I'm no professional, I just enjoy photography. Now guys like Don, they are pros.

Last edited:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm no professional, I just enjoy photography. Now guys like Don, they are pros.

HAHAHA! Not even close. Just a guy who enjoys photography and has spent way too much money on gear in pursuit of that perfect show....kind of like chasing that perfect vape.

I've has cameras from almost every manufacturer. Even though I started in the digital age I've had several film SLRs until I got tired of trying to get film.
Like @AndriaD I've had a camera sensor go wonky and every shot was blurry no mater the conditions. Of course It was an old cheap Olympus point and shoot and I was standing right next to an M2 machine gun firing.

The more expensive cameras don't necessarily take better pics but they do tend to have things less expensive models don't such as their sensors tend to do better with auto white balance. Some incandescent and fluorescent color temps you just have to fiddle with and set your self. You may be amazed at how much I shoot in Auto or Program modes.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know enough about "professional photography" to set any of those things in the camera. I take pics with whatever settings were set when I got it, and then I edit the pics in Photoshop, to fix the light/color, and zoom in to the actual subject of the pic -- I can do Photoshop pretty much in my sleep, but there are no instructions for the camera! I do the same with pics I take with my phone -- fix the color/light in Photoshop, crop to zero in on the pic's subject.

But I used my Nikon the same way -- and the pics it took were INCREDIBLE compared to those from the Canon! They nearly came to life! Actually though... the Nikon came with a little manual, so I did RTFM, and learned to set certain things -- the Canon came with a disc, but no manual, and I don't even know what was on the disc, or where that disc is now -- I still have the Nikon manual, bundled up with the Nikon, which still takes great pics 1) outdoors in bright light, 2) when mounted on a tripod. I gather that since the stabilization doesn't work anymore, it can only take good pics with the absolute fastest shutter speed, which is only possible in bright light -- and when mounted on a tripod, there's no shake from human hands, so no blurriness.

So as I said... really looking forward to getting another Nikon.

Andria
does it have an aperture setting? sounds like it might be on a higher number/smaller opening. If you can open up aperture, fast shutter speeds will work in lower light

i used to set to aperture priority, and bracket shutter speed/exposure. Modern cameras you can set to do this automatically, 3 quick shots

these days though, you can take one shot in RAW format, and extract enough information to do that in the lightroom

i usually don't though. Most times, it is camera phone on HDR setting, optimised for web, not printing

my favourite part of nikon dslr over canon is 2 quick adjust dials, not 1 like canon

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
does it have an aperture setting? sounds like it might be on a higher number/smaller opening. If you can open up aperture, fast shutter speeds will work in lower light

i used to set to aperture priority, and bracket shutter speed/exposure. Modern cameras you can set to do this automatically, 3 quick shots

these days though, you can take one shot in RAW format, and extract enough information to do that in the lightroom

i usually don't though. Most times, it is camera phone on HDR setting, optimised for web, not printing

my favourite part of nikon dslr over canon is 2 quick adjust dials, not 1 like canon

Most of the mid range and higher Canons have 2 dials they just aren't in the typical locations. If you hand a Canon shooter a Nikon they want to throw it rather quickly. Many of the Canon zoom lenses also turn the opposite direction from Nikon to zoom in or out.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I want a new (read: second hand) body for my canon. It is an ancient eos 400d. I think it was crafted with stone and bronze.

Want more auto focus points. HDR mode (6d forward). But nothing extravagant.

Have 3 lenses. From 18 to 200mm.

My Samsung s9+ has two lenses. One with zoom, the other with variable aperture. So that is pretty good for most times. A full camera is just nice sometimes.

Have considered one of the powershot type cameras instead. Most modern cameras support exposure bracketing and stuff anyway, and even P&S kodak types have superior colour reproduction to my old DSLR.

Phone shot

e40bacee058d058618d88bdfed6837e7.jpg

DSLR shot

c7f76c12808b16c3b26d4513608af949.jpg

And DSLR is huge. The compact cybershot etc are much smaller.

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New construction home I'm currently painting. No flooring, no cabinets, no trim. Just me and my roller, and a long walk thru the mud to get there. Looks like a rock path.... but it's rock soup. My truck sank almost 8 inches down in that mess and got stuck. Fun days.
c1d4bcb19ddda85e9913fa1acc4771ef.jpg
a1e47f320b860097a76b911a9161637d.jpg
590e117c39c6a1181d9f58a13d4d6fae.jpg
d6dc8c653c3316191560c2bed860a7c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New construction home I'm currently painting. No flooring, no cabinets, no trim. Just me and my roller, and a long walk thru the mud to get there. Looks like a rock path.... but it's rock soup. My truck sank almost 8 inches down in that mess and got stuck. Fun days.

Cool, this pic of yours reminds me of my 1970s-era apartment's cantilever/cathedral ceiling.
All popcorn paint. When a contractor bro first saw it he just said: "don't ever touch it"...lol.

Crazy stuff..can't imagine painting that easily.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not a good photo this time, just too much competing light from setting sun and my damn CFLs.
The old dbl-pane windows don't help, I actually get a prism of outdoor light on the wall behind her...argh.

But, she was too cute not to take a shot. :)

IMG_5268.jpg

(That blur up top isn't Bokeh, it's a speck of dust inside the lens I've never been able to get out. At certain angles, it freaks out on the light)

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, this pic of yours reminds me of my 1970s-era apartment's cantilever/cathedral ceiling.
All popcorn paint. When a contractor bro first saw it he just said: "don't ever touch it"...lol.

Crazy stuff..can't imagine painting that easily.
Yeah a lot of the older popcorn ceilings had asbestos in them. Pretty nasty. I run when i see them. Ceilings in this house, like most around here now are all done with a knock down texture. Who knows if all the compound and drywall mud is really any healthier, but really, it's not like we are licking our ceilings and walls..... or are some of you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sausage, egg and xtra-cheez muffin I just made. Sun is kinda out, so got a nice shot.

It's got Jimmy Dean's Sage sausage, 2x sharp cheddar, a toasted sourdough English muffin w/ Dijon and garlic habanero sauce, and some sauteed onion, fennel, garlic and fire-roasted chiles in the egg. :)

Last edited:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sausage, egg and xtra-cheez muffin I just made. Sun is out, so got a nice shot.

It's got Jimmy Dean's Sage sausage, 2x sharp cheddar, a toasted sourdough English muffin w/ Dijon and garlic habanero sauce, and some sauteed onion, fennel, garlic and fire-roasted chiles in the egg. :)
Burns on the way in and on the way out. Looks good.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Burns on the way in and on the way out. Looks good.

LOL, it's barely even spicy actually. I just enjoy the flavors. :D

Thanks, I have issues getting the exposure/color right since I wear thick 10% grey tint glasses and can't see 6" without 'em. Sucks.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I figured out a way to pill the Tiki-kitteh without fuss or trouble, using one of these little glass prep dishes from Dollar Tree: https://www.dollartree.com/3frac12-glass-prep-bowls-4ct-sets/186672

Love those bowls for dips, and misc foodie things too. Twenty-five cents a dish.

Put about a 1/2 tsp. of her wet food in there with a bit of water to make a slurry, then just add the crushed pill and mix it together well.
She slurrrrrrps it all gone. Purdy gurl. :)

IMG_5367.jpg

I find that keeping that bit separate from her actual food helps. She considers it a treat. ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I figured out a way to pill the Tiki-kitteh without fuss or trouble, using one of these little glass prep dishes from Dollar Tree: https://www.dollartree.com/3frac12-glass-prep-bowls-4ct-sets/186672

Love those bowls for dips, and misc foodie things too. Twenty-five cents a dish.

Put about a 1/2 tsp. of her wet food in there with a bit of water to make a slurry, then just add the crushed pill and mix it together well.
She slurrrrrrps it all gone. Purdy gurl. :)

View attachment 136335

I find that keeping that bit separate from her actual food helps. She considers it a treat. ;)

Is she sick? Hate to hear of sick kitties. Our Annabel was terribly sick when we first got her, having just been spayed and having a bad reaction to all the immunizations; she was throwing up so much, it took her nearly 6 months for her weight to approach anything like normal. She's got a nice little belly now. :D

Andria

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is she sick? Hate to hear of sick kitties. Our Annabel was terribly sick when we first got her, having just been spayed and having a bad reaction to all the immunizations; she was throwing up so much, it took her nearly 6 months for her weight to approach anything like normal. She's got a nice little belly now. :D

Andria

Yeah, she's been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism due to age and stuff. Fortunately, she doesn't have the HBP issue and her kidneys and liver are fine. Vet has her on Methimazole.

She's in pretty good health, just getting old. Eyes and sense of smell are affected, so she gets weirded out sometimes, but she's generally ok, eating and going potty pretty normally, and not degenerating.

As a stray rescue back in 2012, I'd thought she was maybe 8yo now, but the senior vet there said she's closer to 10-12yo.

VU Sponsors