Become a Patron!

Post your builds

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's always best to err on the side of caution and understretch em, you can always stretch it more......but you can't unstretch it haha. Generally if it's over stretched it'll make a triangular shape, if it's over stretched you'll get what you got here. I think it's actually harder with 34/36g than it is with 38 or 40. Smaller wire generally adjusts itself to fit while spinning, larger wire you gotta get right from the start. Keep at it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured it would be harder with the smaller wire which is why I went with the 34. I have 36,38,and 40 so I can practice. If go with 40 for the wrap... what should I use for the core size? I will do what whiteowl said and hot glue the ends to see if that helps me out keeping my cores straight.

Thanks again!

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't use a glue gun. It spits out too much glue. Melt it with a lighter and dab it on the cores. Melt it again so it sucks between them and wipe the excess.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's always best to err on the side of caution and understretch em, you can always stretch it more......but you can't unstretch it haha. Generally if it's over stretched it'll make a triangular shape, if it's over stretched you'll get what you got here. I think it's actually harder with 34/36g than it is with 38 or 40. Smaller wire generally adjusts itself to fit while spinning, larger wire you gotta get right from the start. Keep at it though!

I couldn't get 36g off the bat. I had to start with 34g and gradually work up.
I tend to agree that 38g is easier because you can just hammer on the drill if you have the stretch right. Anything lower needs a touch more stretch and you need to keep the tension right the wole time.
But all the same I still needed to start with 34g because it stacks faster. It was hard for me to keep it steady that long.
Bottom line is this, just try a bit of everything and do what works for you.
No two people do any if this the same way.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a very intense love/hate relationship with the moonshot haha. I hate building on it more than anything in the universe, but i love the way the lil' fucker vapes. One thing i can say is that you absolutely MUST vape it totally dry before you refill it. Normally in my drippers i usually just use organic japanese cotton but in my tanks i only use native wicks. That stuff is my favorite wicks for tanks because i can use enough to keep it from leaking but it still wicks super fast so i don't get any dry hits like i would with the normal stuff. But if your tanks are leaking during use then you're probably just not using enough cotton in your coils. Its a delicate balance in tanks haha

I had the same deal going on for a while. I loved my Moonshot for sitting on my Nugget or Minivolt for a micro pocket rig, but the deck is designed shitty and makes it a pain to build on. So I got one of the Coilart Mage RTAs and it was much better. Its basically the exact same design of the Moonshot, only with a much better and easier deck to build on.

So yea, get you a Mage.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I figured it would be harder with the smaller wire which is why I went with the 34. I have 36,38,and 40 so I can practice. If go with 40 for the wrap... what should I use for the core size? I will do what whiteowl said and hot glue the ends to see if that helps me out keeping my cores straight.

Thanks again!

The core size is the same, no matter which gauge outer wire you use. I use one size smaller for dual cores. So if you're doing dual 26g cores i would use 28g for the initial clapton. 40 might be a bit of a jump from 34, it's just in my opinion finer wire is more forgiving when it comes to making aliens. But it does require a lighter hand which takes some practice

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some color shots of the Staggerton buddies
a93eba6f3c672a0f88e5df46f7d91592.jpg

3e1edcf53833b269cc5f099045461540.jpg

6e191c9ecdaa3ffd43fecebaf3490db8.jpg

394115795e780e98099483c8df10a295.jpg

ed4674539d2b2d157dedc5e2d7f6c5d3.jpg

12b4e0434c29c677a54466646901b78e.jpg

Note: the coloring in the coils has been left entirely unedited. No saturation knobs were harmed in the making of these photographs I use all Atomizerwick wire, which always colors up quite nicely

a9de2a2434cab500c1ab3bf1321e0a0b.jpg

My first fused Clapton parallel build

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry if i missed you saying it but what rda is that coil setup on? Im looking for an rda that has alot of room for the build and the cotton kind of like the pharoad rda, im currently trying the lush rda which works great but due to the smaller size i find that if the cotton gets to wet that it tends to leak through the air holes since they're right next to the cotton. Maybe i need to redo the o rings but your rda looks bigger, whats the mm specs.

Chokeslam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Sorry if i missed you saying it but what rda is that coil setup on? Im looking for an rda that has alot of room for the build and the cotton kind of like the pharoad rda, im currently trying the lush rda which works great but due to the smaller size i find that if the cotton gets to wet that it tends to leak through the air holes since they're right next to the cotton. Maybe i need to redo the o rings but your rda looks bigger, whats the mm specs.

It's a Goon. Great RDA.

Edit: 24mm

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man i been busy lately! Havent had a chance to build much but i made some time tonight. I won a gift card for MFS and used it to get the Engine rta i been dreamin about. Havent vaped it yet but tomorrow is the day. Made some all ss aliens out of 28g and 36g0208172141_HDR.jpg 0208172233_HDR.jpg 0208172256_HDR.jpg 0208172302_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 0208172141_HDR.jpg
    0208172141_HDR.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 0208172233_HDR.jpg
    0208172233_HDR.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 40

Erbz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all. This is my first ever build on my new twisted messes clone. I've used crazy wires 'alien' ni80 wire (0.3x0.8 in a 0.2 outer)and its showing as 0.2 ohm for a 3MM however many wrap your class it as .

Okish for a first attempt ?

Attachments

• 2017-02-09 14.06.05.jpg
    2017-02-09 14.06.05.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2017-02-09 14.07.35.jpg
    2017-02-09 14.07.35.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 51
  • 2017-02-09 14.08.03.jpg
    2017-02-09 14.08.03.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 54
  • 2017-02-09 14.08.34.jpg
    2017-02-09 14.08.34.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 51

Erbz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks good from my house @Erbz. That looks like a fused clapton but great nonetheless

Going from what I've seen on here and other parts of the net its definatly not a real alien as it has a single flat core rather than a multi. It is marked as alien on the crazy wires tin and seeing as I've never bought wire before I just went on the local vape shops recommendation as I don't really know one from the other yet. he was trying to sell me clapton till he realized he had non left then pulled this out. It seems to work ok and that's the main thing, but it does take hell of a long time to cool back down again.

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Going from what I've seen on here and other parts of the net its definatly not a real alien as it has a single flat core rather than a multi. It is marked as alien on the crazy wires tin and seeing as I've never bought wire before I just went on the local vape shops recommendation as I don't really know one from the other yet. he was trying to sell me clapton till he realized he had non left then pulled this out. It seems to work ok and that's the main thing, but it does take hell of a long time to cool back down again.
I hear that man i see a bunch of companies labeling their coils as aliens and usually its not but no big deal, unless theyre charging more for them. Daniel from DJLSB vapes loves that crazy wire and its all he uses. He usually is pretty right on most things so I'd say you have some damn good coils in there! Happy vaping bro!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Call me late to the party, i just picked up the Augvape Merlin Mini. I mounted a 4-wrap Staggerton buddy on the single coil deck. Still can't believe it fit. I absolutely love the way this tank vapes so far.
•12x.3mm ribbon
•2x28g frames
•40g outer

18961df92a1d37efbec0d23ca3635241.jpg

481a908175fbdb6773aef1059c8ec4c9.jpg

d5c5be7b022a936ff2b603f9b8f1f323.jpg

2bf73c6c14d09938a7c774f20e3d4700.jpg

Erbz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hear that man i see a bunch of companies labeling their coils as aliens and usually its not but no big deal, unless theyre charging more for them. Daniel from DJLSB vapes loves that crazy wire and its all he uses. He usually is pretty right on most things so I'd say you have some damn good coils in there! Happy vaping bro!

Cool, its good to know I'm using a good wire SignMan. I'm gonna try and make some different builds using the same wire if I can and have an experiment as I've never even held a dripper before this morning, so need to learn about a few things like difference in single / dual coils/ vertical coils before I even think of moving onto some of the more advanced creations, and having a good reason to buy some different wires when this reel runs out :halo:

*heads over to DJLSB vapes for a nose

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, its good to know I'm using a good wire SignMan. I'm gonna try and make some different builds using the same wire if I can and have an experiment as I've never even held a dripper before this morning, so need to learn about a few things like difference in single / dual coils/ vertical coils before I even think of moving onto some of the more advanced creations, and having a good reason to buy some different wires when this reel runs out :halo:

*heads over to DJLSB vapes for a nose
Hell yea! Whatever keeps vaping interesting and you off cigs is a win win! I was one of those people that thought dripping was stupid and then I tried it. I felt like the stupid one then lol. Dude you should totally try twisting some wire up. Theres a ton of tutorials online showing how to twist multiple wires (like 3 and 4 wires). Its a far better vape than regular round wire imo and a good first step into building if you want to pursue it. Oh one last thing! Check out Ohm Boy Josh on youtube. He gives really good tips!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey @scarecrowjenkins , thats a bomb ass tank is it not? Nice looking build you got in it. I gotta ask though, i noticed you always call staggs "buddy". Care to explain? Its killing me smalls!

Thanks! Oh i don't know, i'm just typing like i talk i guess haha. I often refer to things i like as buddy....now that i'm thinkin' about it

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yo @whiteowl84 how did you get the wire to look like that? Is it ribbon twisted with round wire and then rubbed down with toothless pliers? It looks really cool, especially with the flat looking wire paralled with it.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A lil' workhorse build in the Merlin Mini.
Landed right at .10 ohms
Framed Staple Aliens
10x.3mm//2x28g//42g
All Atomizerwick Kanthal (except the 42g N80)
eb2da942bb494df8f76ba7ff88eb2da0.jpg

0851aaa2447bf8ce2a07db975c710b10.jpg

Video won't upload right now.....bummer. Giving me a "network error." I'll add it if i get the chance later.

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yo @whiteowl84 how did you get the wire to look like that? Is it ribbon twisted with round wire and then rubbed down with toothless pliers? It looks really cool, especially with the flat looking wire paralled with it.
Thanks.
It's polished 2x SS 26g helixed with 32g n80. The other is polished 22g n80.
No ribbon/flat wire used.
I left my helix on the swivel and polished it with a pair of pliers. Sandpaper would work better I think but I didn't have any and the file didn't do anything to it.
I did use the file for the 22g though.

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
twopost.JPG

a simple 6.3 roll x2 24ga. Kanthal. Actually it was probably 6.6 roll 3m. Close enough. Each coil tested was exact. My 2nd time build wicked it on a RDA clone. No hotspots, Even burn on both coils success.

Went thru quite a bit of wire getting by first 2 times builds right. I did a third right build right after on a just bought three post Quicksilver RDA. That was tough. Had to re--order wire almost out of ten foot spool of 24g Kanthal. Oh well live and learn.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
13eaa91405ab3501caca210ca4e252fb.jpg

For those having trouble with aliens check these
alien makers. Helps keep your cores parallel

I did this with a 5/8" keyring to make fused claptons, and was wondering if I could do something similar for aliens. After watching this, I think I will give it a shot. I've acquired a nice assortment of keyrings over the years lol.
Thanks for sharing!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haven't built for a little while, but got my swvl properly cleaned and oiled. Had to take her for a test run so made a quick nichrome fused (not fond of the flavor for nichrome, so will probably give this wire away). Just had to spin something.

Just a bench shot.
d5b3ed1b0a592abfa1252f82bbf4b50a.jpg

Was a little twisted at the start, but i have found with the swvl, can't just hammer it on full bore. Gotta kinda evenly accelerate to let the swvl get moving before opening up the drill.

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I did this with a 5/8" keyring to make fused claptons, and was wondering if I could do something similar for aliens. After watching this, I think I will give it a shot. I've acquired a nice assortment of keyrings over the years lol.
Thanks for sharing!

So you know they don't slide so great on the 26g but on the 28 they perform just like the video.

For the 26g aliens I use them as you would the key rings. Nice thing about these is they don't cause your core wire to bounce so much when going fast.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you know they don't slide so great on the 26g but on the 28 they perform just like the video.

For the 26g aliens I use them as you would the key rings. Nice thing about these is they don't cause your core wire to bounce so much when going fast.

Can't speak for the devices you posted as I have not used them.

But, the bouncing you refer to is why I didn't like the keyring thing. Too heavy. Settled on a ribbonwire slider. Practically weightless and no real effect on the wires while spinning. And custom fit for whatever size core wires.

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Can't speak for the devices you posted as I have not used them.

But, the bouncing you refer to is why I didn't like the keyring thing. Too heavy. Settled on a ribbonwire slider. Practically weightless and no real effect on the wires while spinning.

Yes I use ribbon sliders as well. For $12 I decided to give these guys a shot. Saves me a total of maybe 2-3min but fuck it you can never have enough little trinkets

putkisetaOy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Last two months I'm been using only tc- builds at my tanks and drippers. Rocking with Dna75 <3 <3 <3

Hurricane Jr:
- "Parallel tempcontrol setup" (26g + 30g Ss- clapton with 28g Ss- wire) 3mm diameter & 4wraps
n4AOzxo.jpg
CCQElPK.jpg

Firebird Mini Classic:
- Basic Ss- clapton (36g + 30g) 4 wraps
iXdA7uh.jpg

Split Atty:
- Dual Ss- clapton coils with 6 wraps
MFNYJVQ.jpg

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Call me late to the party, i just picked up the Augvape Merlin Mini. I mounted a 4-wrap Staggerton buddy on the single coil deck. Still can't believe it fit. I absolutely love the way this tank vapes so far.
•12x.3mm ribbon
•2x28g frames
•40g outer

18961df92a1d37efbec0d23ca3635241.jpg

481a908175fbdb6773aef1059c8ec4c9.jpg

d5c5be7b022a936ff2b603f9b8f1f323.jpg

2bf73c6c14d09938a7c774f20e3d4700.jpg

Isn't that 3 wraps? 2 full and 2 half wraps? Anyway great build man!

g_vape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been having trouble keeping my core wires flat. I get 2 inches and they cross over. Sometimes, if the stars aligned properly, they would stay where I wanted them to.

I tried putting the core wires in 3 different directions, bending @ 90 and in same direction, taping them, and a few other things. I made a handful of coils but my success rate was poor. Ultimately what it seems to be is that my drill does not clamp down evenly on the cores and they shift around. This makes the cores have uneven tension.

Any suggestions for a dewalt drill? I plan on reading through this thread to see how others are positioning the cores in their drills...

Anyways, I just wanted to say that these "Alien Makers" are fantastic but with cons. After struggling all day yesterday trying to catch my groove I realized these were in my mailbox.

Due to being 3d printed I think the tolerances are a bit off. Only one of mine smoothly slides on 26ga. I assume that with use they will get a bit easier to use. However, I had difficulty getting all 3 core wires to slide through. I may try to stick something in there and clean them them up a bit.

Attached is a photo of the coil that I made with these after struggling for a while. Like I said, I can/have made aliens without these... but they make it so much easier IMHO. The top coil is one I made without these. The bottom is with the Alien Makers.

3x26/36

IMG_20170213_195722.jpg

For those having trouble with aliens check these
alien makers. Helps keep your cores parallel

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any suggestions for a dewalt drill? I plan on reading through this thread to see how others are positioning the cores in their drills...
try lining up your three cores so they are flat, then wrap up the (half inch) part youre going to put in the chuck with ten or fifteen wraps of high gauge wire as tight as you can get it. carefully pinch that end in some pliers or whatever to make damn sure the cores are parallel and properly secured, then get a glob of hot glue on the end (use a lighter on a glue stick from a hot glue gun). once there is an ugly glob of glue on the end of the wire, touch it with the lighter a bit so it evens out into a teardrop with the tips of your cores in it. your drill should have no problem biting down on it and your cores should be solid.

:cheers:

f4milytime

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haven't built for a little while, but got my swvl properly cleaned and oiled. Had to take her for a test run so made a quick nichrome fused (not fond of the flavor for nichrome, so will probably give this wire away). Just had to spin something.

Just a bench shot.
d5b3ed1b0a592abfa1252f82bbf4b50a.jpg

Was a little twisted at the start, but i have found with the swvl, can't just hammer it on full bore. Gotta kinda evenly accelerate to let the swvl get moving before opening up the drill.
Where do you get one of those swvls ??

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
30c60e2e5573f92987399a56865482e5.jpg
a work in progress. SS 316L Caterpillar track (28ga*4 + 30ga). I did fix the wicking after the picture lol

0.17 ohms, 6 wraps with 3.0mm id

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

Last edited:

keet89

Member For 3 Years
What's up guys any tips on prepping even spacing and mounting on sfc (3 cores and up) also to prevent them from moving out of place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors