Become a Patron!

Post your builds

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK everyone --- I finally decided to man up and tackle the alien coil.

x3 - 26g Ni80 Core wires
x1 - 36g SS316L wrap wire

Please look at the wrap stretch let let me know if you think it's "stretched" long enough before I go attempting to wrap this thing on.

IMG_20170304_174516880 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_174545480 (Large).jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
giphy.gif

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hot Damn! I did it. And not "too" bad for my first run.
Couple of screw-ups, but those always happened when I had to stop running. I was able to get the best performance at middle - high speed.
As soon as I slowed down or starting up is dorked up on me.

:bingo:

IMG_20170304_185409155 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_185309648 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_185251148 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_185230653 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_185158158 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_185145376 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_185137179 (Large).jpg IMG_20170304_185123711 (Large).jpg

Is it normal to not have enough clapton wrap to match the length of the core wires ?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Nice mate looks like you have enough there to a make a decent coil from it at least

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Gotta say, I'm kinda proud of myself on this being the very first Alien I've attempted. I actually got a good single coil out of it.
Gotta figure out how to get better heating / coloring with a coil like this, but not bad. Lot of practice left to do though. That was fun. :devil:

Ni80 Alien Coil w/ SS Wrap
x3 - 26g Ni80 / 36g SS316L @ 3mm ID -- .22Ω

IMG_20170304_194412607-(Large).png IMG_20170304_194442584-(Large).png IMG_20170304_194939595-(Large).png IMG_20170304_195009598-(Large).png IMG_20170304_195251610-(Large).png IMG_20170304_195303097-(Large).png

Last edited:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Holy Hell! That is one smooth flavorful vape. Running this single coil between 65W and 75W so far. Haven't found the sweet spot, but so far so good.

Thanks everyone for kicking me in the balls and getting me to do this build! Now I gotta build more. :devil:
I got more atty's to populate. :giggle:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
need to rebuild a couple single battery mechs today. im hoping this is just a warmup for a funner build, but i have a ton of people trying to get me away from my chores, so im not sure if ill be able to do more than these 28/40 fused claptons (2mm 5 wrap ~.2ohms near instant rampup).

sapor rda on a smpl mod
Capture1.PNG

nopity clone on frankenskull clone
Capture2.PNG

Gotta figure out how to get better heating / coloring with a coil like this, but not bad. Lot of practice left to do though. That was fun.

the best tip i have heard for color shots is to pulse your coils at low power in the dark. makes it easier to see where the hot spots are way before anything gets hot enough to color...

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the best tip i have heard for color shots is to pulse your coils at low power in the dark. makes it easier to see where the hot spots are way before anything gets hot enough to color...
Damn --- nice tip mach1ne -- thank you.

Nice MECH pics also. I love Fused Clapton coils. Flavor has always been damn good.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn --- nice tip mach1ne -- thank you.

Nice MECH pics also. I love Fused Clapton coils. Flavor has always been damn good.
yeah fused claptons are always a great choice. i pretty much only use them on single battery mechs now that i can build whatever i want, but they are such a good balance of effort:results. i made both of those pairs in four minutes total, they will vape for weeks, they perform great, and in the case of the nopity, they are pretty much the fanciest coils that fit without interfering with the (already tight as fuck) airflow...:cheers:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To do something consistently good you need experience. Experience come from failure. In order to be good you have to fail. Or at least have some imperfections.
I sat down about 45 min ago and decided to rip out another run. This time I got two coils out of a single run.
Just at the very end (go figure) the end of my wrap snagged (forgot to clip of the catchy end) and it borked up because I had to stop and un-snag it. Started back up and it did that skip crap (left coil, right leg). Next run tomorrow I'll get a good clean run.

x3 - 26g KA1 / 36g SS316L

IMG_20170305_021828945 (Large).jpg IMG_20170305_021849895 (Large).jpg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Gonna give the alien another go later myself got my wire through now also got my washing pegs ready and my fishing spooler for the claptons lol

Made 3 types for the pegs

1 for single core claptons
1 for fused claptons
1 for spaced claptons

If these babies work will make everything so much easier in the early stages assuming it isn't a disaster I'll take some pics of the rig

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gonna give the alien another go later myself got my wire through now also got my washing pegs ready and my fishing spooler for the claptons lol

Made 3 types for the pegs

1 for single core claptons
1 for fused claptons
1 for spaced claptons

If these babies work will make everything so much easier in the early stages assuming it isn't a disaster I'll take some pics of the rig

Paper clips, spool tamers and fishing weights or anything to hold the spool below so it doesn't spin around the wire. Tried and tested method makes anything without alien wraps very easy.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Paper clips, spool tamers and fishing weights or anything to hold the spool below so it doesn't spin around the wire. Tried and tested method makes anything without alien wraps very easy.
For some reason, I've not had any issue with Clapton or Fused Clapton coils. Once I got some decent ball bearing swivels I just hook up the wire and set the wrap in my drill chuck and hit full speed until it's done. I hold the spool in my hand like Squid Doode does in his videos. That may have to change though once i move past 36g wire wrap though. o_O

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For some reason, I've not had any issue with Clapton or Fused Clapton coils. Once I got some decent ball bearing swivels I just hook up the wire and set the wrap in my drill chuck and hit full speed until it's done. I hold the spool in my hand like Squid Doode does in his videos. That may have to change though once i move past 36g wire wrap though. o_O
Yeah but when you get even lazier than that it's the way to go :p

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Speaking of ball bearing swivels ... I picked up mine from Walmart. Cheap, say they are stainless steel (I don't think they are) and I can burn them up in no time at full speed. Am I better off to find some on Amazon or should I invest in this Spin ONE Coil Builders Bundle
I own the SpinLT and those Chuckies and they're awesome. I use the SpinLT to build all my coils, the Chuckies I just got so I can't really say I'm used to em yet but they seem promising for certain applications. I posted my review of the SpinLT on here a few weeks ago if you're interested on seeing the performance

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Pegs work an absolute treat absolutely perfect Clapton and fused clapton using 28gK core(s) and 38g NI80 wrap not a single defect in whole length will use this method from now on

Shame my alien didn't turn out meh gonna give it a rest stick to the easier stuff for a bit ....poxy de cored clapton twisted up again! i was so careful to leave it behind me so it couldn't snag up as soon as I start my drill it just wants to bundle up into a tangled mess

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't believe it's been 79 days since I built my first coil. I have to do something cool to mark my 100th day. Any ideas on what I should do?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Is there a trick to avoid the de cored clapton from tangling up as I wind guys?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is there a trick to avoid the de cored clapton from tangling up as I wind guys?
I tried laying mine across my workbench (failed). I then just let mine lay off to my right side down to the floor. That is when it caught on my chair (fabric instead of leather). It worked out easier to lay it off to my right side until it snagged that is... :cry:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know how ya feel. My dogs like to sneak up and lay down right on the decore.
Yea, I was afraid my Lab would do the same thing. I closed my office door just to keep him out. That doesn't fix the kids walking in and stepping on it though. ;)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yea, I was afraid my Lab would do the same thing. I closed my office door just to keep him out. That doesn't fix the kids walking in and stepping on it though. ;)

Yeah my boxer does same thing too! Hmm kept mine straight yesterday and still stupid thing snagged up was so careful this time maybe it's because I'm try to use 38g whips about more or something

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
IMG_0920.JPG Well tried the hang it over a chair trick did the trick perfectly woohoo progress people now if only I could keep it this consistent for more than a 2.5 inches lol still I worked out tension I need to hold it ...my core wires started to group up struggled to start and stop and maintain everything

still considering I'm trying to run here before I'm walking with 28g cores and 38g wrap well pleased

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
View attachment 76022 Well tried the hang it over a chair trick did the trick perfectly woohoo progress people now if only I could keep it this consistent for more than a 2.5 inches lol still I worked out tension I need to hold it ...my core wires started to group up struggled to start and stop and maintain everything

still considering I'm trying to run here before I'm walking with 28g cores and 38g wrap well pleased
Looks really damn good KingPing! --- Way to go!

VU Sponsors