Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So many advanced builds on here and here comes the new kid!

First build ever. I picked up a TM squared RDA on sale over the weekend so that's the base. 24g Kanthal A2. I did a bit of tinkering after the first two pictures to get it all lined up better since one coil was heating slightly faster than the other.

Y'all let me know if you see anything glaringly bad/wrong here and I'm open to any and all advice since I want to get to advanced builds one day.

View attachment 82835 View attachment 82832 View attachment 82833
With that rda you could drop to 26g ka1 n make 4 coils a quad coil 3-4 wrap n come out with just about same ohms n very clean for beginner did ya use a jig or free hand around a 3mm screwdriver

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Took a stab at a framed staple staggered build. Kinda rushed it a bit. Pretty sure my ribbon cores collapsed. Little more attention to detail on the prepwork and I think it will work out. Pics are of both sides of the same section. Kinda triangled. Bowed in one side, out the other.
38a5d5a67e2d3a8dac9730cc3e4c8899.jpg
99ed8b1eb4f81001ce7369e137d24533.jpg

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you float the ribbon between the frames it shouldn't be able to flip or move.
That's how I build literally everything aside from all round builds.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Take your frames and lay them side by side. Glue about 1/2" from both ends and bind the rest. Leave a place between the binding and the glue for the swivel to hook into.
Pull the frames apart and put the stack between the frames and get 2 ribbon sliders to hold it in. The stack doesn't need to be bound or glued before it goes in but you can if you like.
Now hook it up to the drill and swivel and pull the slack out...not super tight just get the slack out. Now just glue the stack in at both ends.

There are alot if different ways to float stuff but that's one way.

When I make stuff like this that's all I'm doing. Throw the central layers between the frames and make the frames transfer tension to the central layers.

Staggs I set up by bending the outer layers around the staggered ribbon stack's original loop, ribbon sliders here and there then bind the outer layers to each other. Glue, pull, fuse. Simple.
f52ef95405054510d2902189fb4c4da7.jpg
37822e72dc49c98cefc77df205f08f2e.jpg
91aa4ac7640aea91a1f2d67ef94ff94e.jpg
88e345e39142d9838bba01ccea6e769a.jpg
d6d82fb33e4e873900a246575fe53181.jpg
971b212a7ca261c1e1304c3cd82e3b15.jpg

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just tried to make my first staggered fused clapton. I learned two things. One, it's fucking hard. I have a new found respect for you that make coils. Second, I need magnifying glasses. I was wearing my reading glasses and it was so hard to see and I was using 24/32. How the hell any one sees 36 and up is amazing.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome over here Khassy :) how you liking the DIY?

I'm loving it. It's SOOO nice not having to worry about having premade coils in-hand, tempting the wrath of my husband if I have to buy more, etc. If I need to change flavors, just throw new wicks in. If I need to re-coil, it takes me about 10 minutes, start to finish and I'm ready to vape again. I feel EMPOWERED! :teehee:

I've made a few mistakes but every time I do, I learn something new. :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I'm loving it. It's SOOO nice not having to worry about having premade coils in-hand, tempting the wrath of my husband if I have to buy more, etc. If I need to change flavors, just throw new wicks in. If I need to re-coil, it takes me about 10 minutes, start to finish and I'm ready to vape again. I feel EMPOWERED! :teehee:

I've made a few mistakes but every time I do, I learn something new. :)

Awesome keep posting away great to see people advance thier builds

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I just tried to make my first staggered fused clapton. I learned two things. One, it's fucking hard. I have a new found respect for you that make coils. Second, I need magnifying glasses. I was wearing my reading glasses and it was so hard to see and I was using 24/32. How the hell any one sees 36 and up is amazing.

Hahaha know what you mean especially with the thinnger gauges I'm no super builder yet but I have learnt getting the light on it is crucial and trusting your technique and prep is right ....maintaining the angle then it's a case of go for it full speed ahead....so many things to concentrate on first time out you forget these things as your going and often going slower makes the end product worse ...just move up the gauges slowly indeed even if you feel the need to that is :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hahaha know what you mean especially with the thinnger gauges I'm no super builder yet but I have learnt getting the light on it is crucial and trusting your technique and prep is right ....maintaining the angle then it's a case of go for it full speed ahead....so many things to concentrate on first time out you forget these things as your going and often going slower makes the end product worse ...just move up the gauges slowly indeed even if you feel the need to that is :)

Good point. I'll start with 24/28. The biggest problem was holding the spool. I'd get an inch or two of nice wrap then the tension would change and it would get ugly. I'll watch some more videos and figure it out. Now it's a challenge.

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good point. I'll start with 24/28. The biggest problem was holding the spool. I'd get an inch or two of nice wrap then the tension would change and it would get ugly. I'll watch some more videos and figure it out. Now it's a challenge.
I started out my staggered builds with 32g and using reading glasses, it was a huge pain. If you really want to get them down I suggest grabbing a magnifying lamp or goggles. I wouldn't do 28g as your Clapton/wrap wire the coils may not perform very well. Stick with 32g if you want to practice, my first staggered fuse was 26x2 with 32g and although it took a good bit of power to ramp up, it wasn't a terrible vape.

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been practicing more staggertons, this was probably my best attempt yet with no spaces missed/overlapped but 1 or 2 bad angles in the middle you can see. My 38g snapped about 4'' in so I had to prep another set for duals. Also I figured id share a lil trick I've been using sometimes along with ribbon sliders to keep cores parallel and on the same plane. If anyone has access to flat lego bricks they work very well. I've also played around with them and found they can be used as make-shift alien makers like those patinos, with just enough tension on the cores it will slide and go with the wrap wire lol.framedstag.jpg legomyego.jpg

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started out my staggered builds with 32g and using reading glasses, it was a huge pain. If you really want to get them down I suggest grabbing a magnifying lamp or goggles. I wouldn't do 28g as your Clapton/wrap wire the coils may not perform very well. Stick with 32g if you want to practice, my first staggered fuse was 26x2 with 32g and although it took a good bit of power to ramp up, it wasn't a terrible vape.

Thanks for the advice. I'll hunt down something soon.

Just found some magnifying glasses on Amazon. Ordered more wire...I think I'll be pissing through it for awhile.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Had my own staggered fused fail last night, with 28/36. I swear I'm getting blinder everytime I build. I'm using reading glasses and lighted magnifying thingies, and still can't see worth a damn. When I get enough magnification, the focal length and my field of vision becomes too small. And I suck at getting even tension on all the cores. At least one is always loose. Yeah, poor me lol.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Had my own staggered fused fail last night, with 28/36. I swear I'm getting blinder everytime I build. I'm using reading glasses and lighted magnifying thingies, and still can't see worth a damn. When I get enough magnification, the focal length and my field of vision becomes too small. And I suck at getting even tension on all the cores. At least one is always loose. Yeah, poor me lol.

LOL I feel ya. Anytime I build, rewick or even read anything, I have to take my glasses off. Just using my phone, I have to take my glasses off most of the time.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some Alien Staggs, ribbon filled...

18722124_221217718369198_4400448724967358464_n.jpg
18723326_128977874341653_1071662059101356032_n.jpg
18809726_107230516538785_2987287798911860736_n.jpg
18809057_305518473223497_6896876312326045696_n.jpg
18722661_255041418309014_1386614471933296640_n.jpg

Then Made some Mohawks to take some Product shots for the Gaia RDTA by CthulhuMod. This thing isnt pretty, look good and I dont like building on the Velocity deck....BUT after vaping on it for the lat 2 weeks its become the best flavor tank I have...beating the Reload RTA in the flavor department and ease of use. To fill you just pull off the top like a RDA and then use its center fill (does need a thin tipped bottle though). I still am not a fan of its looks but I gravitate to it every time I go to vape because it gives the vape Im always looking for...lots of very warm, saturated, vapor and its incredibly smooth.

17494729_286139315189824_6249164316029747200_n.jpg
18722082_311355275965474_4945872149509308416_n.jpg
18722094_1964690460414262_7233262402966388736_n.jpg
18809035_119822561931267_2042403046855540736_n.jpg
18812805_468472600153558_4087484787504185344_n.jpg

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some Alien Staggs, ribbon filled...

Then Made some Mohawks to take some Product shots for the Gaia RDTA by CthulhuMod. This thing isnt pretty, look good and I dont like building on the Velocity deck....BUT after vaping on it for the lat 2 weeks its become the best flavor tank I have...beating the Reload RTA in the flavor department and ease of use. To fill you just pull off the top like a RDA and then use its center fill (does need a thin tipped bottle though). I still am not a fan of its looks but I gravitate to it every time I go to vape because it gives the vape Im always looking for...lots of very warm, saturated, vapor and its incredibly smooth.

9f0ed49a94326da8a8459fca6cad2ae9.jpg

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@raymo2u
You'd really put the Gaia against the Reload? I'm not overly fond of the deck on either but I can always use something smaller builds really shine in.
I ordered another Merlin for big builds and a Ziggs for slightly smaller builds. You think it's worth grabbing a Gaia too?
I loved their v3 RTA till the swappable deck system failed. If it was a solid mounted deck it would still be in rotation.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u
You'd really put the Gaia against the Reload? I'm not overly fond of the deck on either but I can always use something smaller builds really shine in.
I ordered another Merlin for big builds and a Ziggs for slightly smaller builds. You think it's worth grabbing a Gaia too?
I loved their v3 RTA till the swappable deck system failed. If it was a solid mounted deck it would still be in rotation.

With the same build in both the Gaia knocks the reload out of the park...and thats crazy because when I got the reload I thought it was better then the merlin mini which was the best flavor rta so far IMO. I m using Alien Staggs in it though...Ill try some normal 3x28g Aliens in it next and see if I still feel the same way but I would load it with 5 core 28g Aliens for the best experience.

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had this crazy build but was too low in ohms so I scrapped n didn't picture it was 2 26g 32g Clapton with a 28g 6strand braid unframes

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Here's an inexpensive solution. I'm going to order a pair. Otherwise I'll never be able to do this.

Glasses.jpg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Do what I do gakudzu close my eyes and scream as I fire up the drill :p difficult to make the hellfire gargoyle hoof coil while looking ya know!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@raymo2u

It's a tiny build deck if your ok with that.... same size as the deck on the 22mm pindad which the latter I found had better flavour personally however the gaia has much more options for it's airflow and is what I can only describe as in your face when you put bigger builds on it :).. it's not bad little atty just some minor things I feel they missed in design

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Before you waste 15 to 20 on the head set, they suck. You have to be at an exact distance for your eyes to focus on the fusing. If you absolutely have to have something use a magnification lamp thing. Even that slows you down and makes it harder to keep your angle consistent.
You don't actually need to see the gap to fuse this stuff, especially if you're talking about big stuff like 36g.
You can feel in the spool when you're getting your angle out of whack or when you miss it all together.
If we're talking about simple SSFCs your spacing is the only important part. It'll fuse it's self if your spacing is true.
With simple staggs even if your spacing is crap you can fuse 40g wide open with little effort.
The only time I need magnification is skip fusing a stagg because it's so easy to get in the gap crooked or end up halfway in the gap.
Other than that all my 40g builds are done by feel, angle, and just knowing what I want it to look like. If it keeps looking good I keep going.
And my vision is horrible.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a tiny build deck if your ok with that.... same size as the deck on the 22mm pindad which the latter I found had better flavour personally however the gaia has much more options for it's airflow and is what I can only describe as in your face when you put bigger builds on it :).. it's not bad little atty just some minor things I feel they missed in design
Deck size doesn't matter at all to me on little attys like the Reload and Gaia. All that matters is the post design, bottom air and a small chamber. I don't like velocity at all but if you can fit a simple 6ply stagg in it, I can live with it.
When you get used to 16ply builds getting 200w or more, all you want is something that can replicate that experience with less juice consumption.
The reload does a good job but I think the Gaia is worth getting if I can get a reload like vape with bottom feed. I hate top feed with a passion.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Before you waste 15 to 20 on the head set, they suck. You have to be at an exact distance for your eyes to focus on the fusing. If you absolutely have to have something use a magnification lamp thing. Even that slows you down and makes it harder to keep your angle consistent.
You don't actually need to see the gap to fuse this stuff, especially if you're talking about big stuff like 36g.
You can feel in the spool when you're getting your angle out of whack or when you miss it all together.
If we're talking about simple SSFCs your spacing is the only important part. It'll fuse it's self if your spacing is true.
With simple staggs even if your spacing is crap you can fuse 40g wide open with little effort.
The only time I need magnification is skip fusing a stagg because it's so easy to get in the gap crooked or end up halfway in the gap.
Other than that all my 40g builds are done by feel, angle, and just knowing what I want it to look like. If it keeps looking good I keep going.
And my vision is horrible.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Deck size doesn't matter at all to me on little attys like the Reload and Gaia. All that matters is the post design, bottom air and a small chamber. I don't like velocity at all but if you can fit a simple 6ply stagg in it, I can live with it.
When you get used to 16ply builds getting 200w or more, all you want is something that can replicate that experience with less juice consumption.
The reload does a good job but I think the Gaia is worth getting if I can get a reload like vape with bottom feed. I hate top feed with a passion.

No worries just putting that out there not trying to put you off it hehe this is a build I did ages ago just to demonstrate its size ...don't run simple coils in here it sucks big time atty comes alive with fused claptons or above...it biggest problem is the location of the juice wells in comparison to the legs of the coil I have to bend mine in so they don't get in the way ...on the Pindad the posts are inwards of the wicking holes so this isn't an issue
IMG_0909.JPG

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey nice use of the braid and clapton lizard!
The pair ohms at .12 but with out accurate ohm reader thingy give or take a few points only got the ohm reader on the wismec rx300. I tried this wit a Clapton on each side n a 6 strand braid but ohm was below .07 so tried with a single clapt n 6 strand still too low so did this a 3 strand braid. braid could be lil cleaner but 28 g is slippery lol even tried adding a loop to end but I managed to get it tight enough next time I do a 3 strand going to attach key rings to the wires to maintain tension. Wanna attempt these stagertons n whatnot but money my main issue can't afford wire

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The pair ohms at .12 but with out accurate ohm reader thingy give or take a few points only got the ohm reader on the wismec rx300. I tried this wit a Clapton on each side n a 6 strand braid but ohm was below .07 so tried with a single clapt n 6 strand still too low so did this a 3 strand braid. braid could be lil cleaner but 28 g is slippery lol even tried adding a loop to end but I managed to get it tight enough next time I do a 3 strand going to attach key rings to the wires to maintain tension. Wanna attempt these stagertons n whatnot but money my main issue can't afford wire
Oh they are in the temple rda gots lotsa room in a 30mm rda lol this thing got massive airflow tho

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

I tried to braid claptons once was a miserable failure lot harder than it looks!

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's my next attempt or getting some flat or square wire to braid with round wire easy esp wit the 3 strands 2ft-3ft long n then looped to make 6 if I had 30 -32 gauge I could prob do 8 strand

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Nice matey! rare to see braided builds on here keep em coming :) maybe share some tips if you manage to nail the clapton one I couldn't keep it flat when I tried it

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice matey! rare to see braided builds on here keep em coming :) maybe share some tips if you manage to nail the clapton one I couldn't keep it flat when I tried it
Its odd all the how to vids on braid I seen they use a bench vise me I have one but I actually use my drill make sure its not plugged in or batt disconnected take the ends of each loop for a 6 strand one set in each of the flat parts clamp it down hold drill between feet n start braidin pull upwards as ya braid n make sure ya stretch horizontal every flip

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its odd all the how to vids on braid I seen they use a bench vise me I have one but I actually use my drill make sure its not plugged in or batt disconnected take the ends of each loop for a 6 strand one set in each of the flat parts clamp it down hold drill between feet n start braidin pull upwards as ya braid n make sure ya stretch horizontal every flip
I need to get some wire n ill post some pics or a video

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
kingpin! here ya go a Clapton braid I had 3 very small pieces so there no tension n very loose this might be one wrap but fluke multimeter pegs it .2 once I get another roll ill try a larger version

Attachments

• 20170601_214103.jpg
    20170601_214103.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170601_214223.jpg
    20170601_214223.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 25

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
regarding the headsets: i got a cheap one and @whiteowl84 is right about the focal length. mine has a few different strengths of lenses. on the lowest magnification, the focal length is good. i havnt measured it, but i would say its 12-18 inches (you have to find the spot, and you cant really move much from it). as you get better magnification, you have to be much closer (~3 inches or closer on the highest lens, i have only tried that lens once). if you need lots of magnification, these might not be ideal. the only part of them i use is the light. it points right at what you are working on. if you angle your wrap wire up/down until it catches the light, its very easy to see. once you can see it clearly, you can get your angle right. if your angle is right, your wraps will be good and it doesnt matter if you can see them or not. :cheers:

VU Sponsors