Become a Patron!

Post your builds

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh yeah Im probably on YouTube more than I am on here. Ha ha.. drums and coils are about the only vids I watch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You play drums? I play guitar, saw a Spanish video for making aliens and that guy had a nice guitar and half stack, wonder if musicians are more into this kind of stuff?

Or maybe we just have more free time :xD:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh no no no...I started building parallel coils about 2 years ago, it's been 10 days or so since I first used used a drill for wire, that's all.
and in ten days with a drill you have come from parallel builds to two of the hardest techniques out there :p an impressive ten days regardless of how long ago you started with the basics. you could have been making parallel builds for ten years and it wouldnt have made it any easier to pick up the drill :cheers:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You play drums? I play guitar, saw a Spanish video for making aliens and that guy had a nice guitar and half stack, wonder if musicians are more into this kind of stuff?

Or maybe we just have more free time :xD:
I've been playing since 08 when my ex and I split. I play in a southern rock band. Well here lately I feel like it's more honky tonk which is not even close to my style but it's better than sitting home playing alone. .. Dying Breed is the name of our band. On Facebook if you are. The smaller of the 3 Dying Breed bands. Lol I think 93 likes.lol

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
nice work @pizzadave80 :cheers: havnt seen you in here in a while

hey @KingPin! is that stagg a round wire in the middle with ribbon fused to it? how do you like it? ever tried it the other way around (ribbon stack in the middle with round frames fused to it)? so far i have only tried it with ribbon in the middle with round frames fused onto it (both groove fused and regular/paraclap). i remember @scarecrowjenkins saying he preferred a ribbon stack in the middle, with both ribbon and round frames fused to it. i really gotta try some variations on that soon (i suck at fusing so i always talk myself out of risking my limited building time on a build i could fail...time to grow a pair lol).

nice sfc @Pegleg Meg, in ten days you have gone from parallel round wire builds to aliens and sfc :slowclap: cant wait to see what you do when you really get going lol :bliss:

I havent tried the ribbon stack in the middle yet its on the to do list mate! but its a nice vape I didn’t go crazy with the ribbon on this one 70 watts gets a nice vape from it with decent ramp up ...I remember your groove fused staples! :cheers: I’m the opposite I’ve never had much success with that myself skips all over the place :(

One of my favourite ribbon coil types for flavour so far is the helix so might knock a few more of those out soon ...admittedly I’ve got loads of ribbon type builds to try yet, need to set aside some more build time busy again now which sucks

Tried an 8 core staggered fused clapton failed miserably cause I rushed the prep work and my staggers weren’t even haven’t tried since :(

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent tried the ribbon stack in the middle yet its on the to do list mate! but its a nice vape I didn’t go crazy with the ribbon on this one 70 watts gets a nice vape from it with decent ramp up ...I remember your groove fused staples! :cheers: I’m the opposite I’ve never had much success with that myself skips all over the place :(

One of my favourite ribbon coil types for flavour so far is the helix so might knock a few more of those out soon ...admittedly I’ve got loads of ribbon type builds to try yet, need to set aside some more build time busy again now which sucks

Tried an 8 core staggered fused clapton failed miserably cause I rushed the prep work and my staggers weren’t even haven’t tried since :(
that stapled helix is another one i have never tried...and i cant see myself ever being good enough at fuse to try an 8 core sfc :eek: you monster!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
that stapled helix is another one i have never tried...and i cant see myself ever being good enough at fuse to try an 8 core sfc :eek: you monster!

Hahaha well nor me probably but only wasted
Wire right it’ll just go in as another hoof coil ;)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I'll be more careful next time :xD: RAMMING SPEED THIS TIME

4.5mm ID, 0.55 ohm, then I squished it a tad to make it more oblong shaped so each side would be a bit closer to the air. It vapes well at 65 watts, spits any higher, not useful for any kind of mech though.
View attachment 100045

Did it vape better for you than dual coils that’s the important bit?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Did it vape better for you than dual coils that’s the important bit?
Yeah, I think having one super thick coil in this rda is better than two, especially because of all the cotton you can put in it. I would try a different build though and make it even 5mm ID and squish more carefully, or wrap around two screwdrivers/rods taped together next time.
I did get some leaking in this today through one of the post holes, not enough to be a problem though, I overdripped big time.

IMG_20180105_125731~2.jpg
I did this today, already ripped it out though and put my 3x28/36 fused claptons back in, I just wanted to try something different. I won't build at all over the weekend, and plan on ordering some ball bearing swivels before I make anything else

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I think having one super thick coil in this rda is better than two, especially because of all the cotton you can put in it. I would try a different build though and make it even 5mm ID and squish more carefully, or wrap around two screwdrivers/rods taped together next time.
I did get some leaking in this today through one of the post holes, not enough to be a problem though, I overdripped big time.

View attachment 100132
I did this today, already ripped it out though and put my 3x28/36 fused claptons back in, I just wanted to try something different. I won't build at all over the weekend, and plan on ordering some ball bearing swivels before I make anything else
Walmart fishing section has them cheaper and faster

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Walmart fishing section has them cheaper and faster

Not my walmart. The only swivels they have are #3 barrel swivels and smaller, no ball bearings. Nobody fishes for big fish in my area, just panfish and trout, smallmouth bass etc

Edit: I am ordering from Walmart online though and having them sent to the store!

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not my walmart. The only swivels they have are #3 barrel swivels and smaller, no ball bearings. Nobody fishes for big fish in my area, just panfish and trout, smallmouth bass etc

Edit: I am ordering from Walmart online though and having them sent to the store!
I think you would be better off just ordering some quality krok swivels.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same thing Walmart has. Unless the krok is for sharks or something

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Went out and purchased the pulse sqonk kit today threw a framed staple in View attachment 100158

Since you haven’t had it long, you might not be able to answer, but I have heard from quite a few of the members here that the Pulse BF Kit has really bad voltage drop and was curious to see if you’ve run across that issue?
I was planning on picking one up recently, but after seeing a couple of folks that are practically the authorities on BF setups here on VU posting about how bad the voltage drop is, I’m a bit gun shy on grabbing one now and leaning towards a different setup, but was just wondering how your experience with it has been so far, in regards to the voltage drop issue and in general.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Darthvaper510

Member For 2 Years
Since you haven’t had it long, you might not be able to answer, but I have heard from quite a few of the members here that the Pulse BF Kit has really bad voltage drop and was curious to see if you’ve run across that issue?
I was planning on picking one up recently, but after seeing a couple of folks that are practically the authorities on BF setups here on VU posting about how bad the voltage drop is, I’m a bit gun shy on grabbing one now and leaning towards a different setup, but was just wondering how your experience with it has been so far, in regards to the voltage drop issue and in general.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!
Well I don't really know how bad it is with the 20700 battery I'm only running the 18650 the shop was out of 20700 but the 18650 is ehh I'm used to my alien 220 so to me it got weak fairly quick. But that's just my opinion don't take it as a don't buy I'm content with my buy...I'm not the type oh he don't like it I'm not gunna buy it if u want it buy it ya know? It looks cool I like the deck the squeeze bottle feels nicely made so overall for the price not to shabby

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I don't really know how bad it is with the 20700 battery I'm only running the 18650 the shop was out of 20700 but the 18650 is ehh I'm used to my alien 220 so to me it got weak fairly quick. But that's just my opinion don't take it as a don't buy I'm content with my buy...I'm not the type oh he don't like it I'm not gunna buy it if u want it buy it ya know? It looks cool I like the deck the squeeze bottle feels nicely made so overall for the price not to shabby

I know what you mean about not basing a decision just from someone saying if it’s good or not. That’s why I was asking...you seemed really happy with it so far and I wanted the opinion of someone that seems happy with it as opposed to only hearing from folks that were not quite as happy with it. A single person can be wrong, but a general consensus of multiple people’s opinions from both camps can be pretty useful info to have when pulling the trigger on buying something.

Darthvaper510

Member For 2 Years
I know what you mean about not basing a decision just from someone saying if it’s good or not. That’s why I was asking...you seemed really happy with it so far and I wanted the opinion of someone that seems happy with it as opposed to only hearing from folks that were not quite as happy with it. A single person can be wrong, but a general consensus of multiple people’s opinions from both camps can be pretty useful info to have when pulling the trigger on buying something.

That's true...I hear you I bought a pico squeeze used it couple times fired like a champ but the bottle felt like a plastic water bottle and the deck was o..k. Then I spun the post:slowclap: well done eleaf....you fucked me..Hahahahaha now she sits in the corner on time out...

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's true...I hear you I bought a pico squeeze used it couple times fired like a champ but the bottle felt like a plastic water bottle and the deck was o..k. Then I spun the post:slowclap: well done eleaf....you fucked me..Hahahahaha now she sits in the corner on time out...

Yeah, that’s what I’m trying to avoid. I’d prefer to not have to add a new piece to my “Collection of Odd-Shaped Paperweights”

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Screwball I know Raymo has 2 pulse kits and is always building on them. Might be worth asking him as he's clued up about mech devices

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
About 10 inches or so for a dual coil lol, what you wrapping yours round? A broom pole? :) I'd say a foot is a fair amount, it leaves a little room for mistakes then

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I first started building I would wrap 2 foot cores. I figured if I did that I would have more room to fuck up but still recover.

Then I realized that this was the reason my cores kept twisting and collapsing. My success rate wrapping coils probably doubled over night by making this change.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long do you guys make your cores for one build? Mine's about 2 feet and it's killing my arm and hand lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ebcf18f4697485b51ea56543c527a2a0.jpg

Just a bit under 6 inches of prepped core wire turns into 4 and a half inches of Alien Wire for me, which easily makes my 6-wrap Aliens with room for a 7th wrap if I wanted and possibly an 8th wrap if I’m careful. But, I’m behind on the times with you guys and your new-fangled swivel setups, lol, this is using the old-school method.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol so sounds like I should shorten them up. They're coming out perfect but man it hurts. The base board on this is 3ft.
26fb7eead960bb16ba0cb70c2dc8bc2b.jpg

Pretty sure all of us here did the exact same thing starting out. Welcome to the growing pains of building! You’ll figure it out and nail down a good technique soon. I just made sure my workstation and my portable build station (aka TV Tray) were at the perfect height so that while sitting, I can rest my elbow on my knee and keep it there as a pivot point the entire time I’m claptoning or wrapping any wire around core(s).

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah you'll piss through 100', when I ordered 48g today it was 1000' and I don't even think that'll last that long lol

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3 strands of wire and it's gone

Yeah, last rough estimate I did with how much wire I was using for one Alien Coil came out to a foot and a half of 26ga (three 6 inch cores) and 10 and a half feet of 36ga...it disappears deceptively fast!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well one thing I just figured out is 100' of 36g does not last last long.

Well shit I have 250 in the mailbox I'm too lazy to go get. It's a half mile away and well im still in bed at 4oclock somehow. Ha ha

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I first started building I would wrap 2 foot cores. I figured if I did that I would have more room to fuck up but still recover.

Then I realized that this was the reason my cores kept twisting and collapsing. My success rate wrapping coils probably doubled over night by making this change.

The real reason why they keep twisting and collapsing is not because you're using 2 ft. cores, but rather, it's because you put too much tension on.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The real reason why they keep twisting and collapsing is not because you're using 2 ft. cores, but rather, it's because you put too much tension on.
Is it more likely from tension on the drill or tension on my wrap wire? I've let up a lot on both, but I've gotten particularly gentle with the wrap wire. They don't twist much anymore but I do still struggle with it on 10+ ribbon cores.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Depends on if a swivel system is being used. As one who doesn’t use a system involving swivels or sliders on the wire - the end of my core wires are in the chuck of the drill and the other end of the cores are free rather than attached to anchored swivels, the bowing effect of having long cores can certainly contribute to core wires not staying flat, but if a swivel system is being utilized, that eliminates length of core being a factor for bunching up (if done correctly) except for the tiring of ones arm or wrist going down a long length like that, causing inconsistency in tension strength from one part of the wire to another.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is it more likely from tension on the drill or tension on my wrap wire? I've let up a lot on both, but I've gotten particularly gentle with the wrap wire. They don't twist much anymore but I do still struggle with it on 10+ ribbon cores.

You need no more than just mild tension on both the drill and the wrap wire. Something like a SpinLT or similar jig that uses a bearing normally used for skateboards also works better than ball bearing swivels normally used for fishing.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Depends on if a swivel system is being used. As one who doesn’t use a system involving swivels or sliders on the wire - the end of my core wires are in the chuck of the drill and the other end of the cores are free rather than attached to anchored swivels, the bowing effect of having long cores can certainly contribute to core wires not staying flat, but if a swivel system is being utilized, that eliminates length of core being a factor for bunching up (if done correctly) except for the tiring of ones arm or wrist going down a long length like that, causing inconsistency in tension strength from one part of the wire to another.

My arm doesn't easily get tired when I'm using the ziploc technique for claptoning, and, if your arm gets tired whilst aliening, then you just need to buy a faster drill.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My arm doesn't easily get tired when I'm using the ziploc technique for claptoning, and, if your arm gets tired whilst aliening, then you just need to buy a faster drill.

Glad to see that you have a technique that works for you...and my arm doesn’t get tired doing Aliens because I have a technique that works for me as well, using shorter cores and elbow on my knee to use as a pivot point...allows me to crank Aliens out by the dozens and without having to use “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead” type speeds with my drill. For some folks, especially without a perfected technique, not sure if throttling up on the speed will do much besides chew up wire faster, but hey...we learn from our mistakes, so, if someone wants to go balls out on their drill speed to see if it works for them or not, that’s something they learn one way or another by trying out, so, something positive can come out of it either way. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz...

VU Sponsors