Post your builds

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
2x26 with 46, different color stages, light blue/green is first, then gold, then purple, then...looks like a rainbow, depending on the lighting
View attachment 103601 View attachment 103602
My phone can't handle this lol
View attachment 103603

It actually seems like the thinner the wire, the farther behind the wrap I can hold the spool - this kept going forward until I was like 10 degrees or more Behind where it was wrapping

How did you get it square with round frames?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, do you mean how it's flat across the top and round on the edges? It's just 2 strands of 26, no ribbon:pizza: I didn't want to try 46awg for the first time on any ribbon

It looks like a staple in the pic, in that it’s got that rectangle look to it, can normally see a straight up rounded look on fused claptons using round wire

Got some camera voodoo going on? :D

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It looks like a staple in the pic, in that it’s got that rectangle look to it, can normally see a straight up rounded look on fused claptons using round wire

Got some camera voodoo going on? :D

Definitely got some camera wobble and poor focus going on lmao, they do look pretty flat to my eyes too, though. Maybe cause the wire is so thin, it flattens out a lot easier between the cores!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Went ahead and bought the Patinos revolver swivel system today .....liked that it’s got bone Swiss ceramic bearing in it and twists as you pull the wire tension so centre stays straight

115A6F56-6C79-4696-9A88-C776D2BC16E6.jpeg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Even if it’s only half decent got to be better than the cheap ball bearing swivels I have been using my wire twists all the time

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Have to update us with how you find it performs la.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
I'll put it this way, I couldn't make Aliens without them and use them to this day. Need to break them in a bit so they slide freely on the cores but they are a god send.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize you were talking about the swivel. I NEED that in my life!

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been a while since I've been on, sorry for the absence lol. Haven't been doing alot of building. Still waiting for my clamps from Raymo to turn up, can't wait haha. An alien staggerton I threw together to replace my setup. Not perfect but I do think I'm figuring more out each time I attempt this build. Think next time I need to try a double frame as that might stretch the outer alien enough to fill in the gaps properly. Time will tell I suppose. Until that time though here's some colours :)
ee54655ecc9dc541506a959f95942fe7.jpg
752792e8ebbc9486406e0eab804533d9.jpg
940460da8b90728400985af8c4f15bc3.jpg
04ab44cb3237dc0d174ac764df04a5c1.jpg
dbedf96e6b386ffedb4088fcf0b2a916.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll put it this way, I couldn't make Aliens without them and use them to this day. Need to break them in a bit so they slide freely on the cores but they are a god send.

The Revolver swivel?

Been a while since I've been on, sorry for the absence lol. Haven't been doing alot of building. Still waiting for my clamps from Raymo to turn up, can't wait haha. An alien staggerton I threw together to replace my setup. Not perfect but I do think I'm figuring more out each time I attempt this build. Think next time I need to try a double frame as that might stretch the outer alien enough to fill in the gaps properly. Time will tell I suppose. Until that time though here's some colours :)

Very nice, getting better I do say, and your ideas on improvement are insightful

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize you were talking about the swivel. I NEED that in my life!
Lol I've tried the patino's, bought 2 sets of them. Now my setup is at a stage where I don't need them. I managed a 4 30 core alien without any sliders or anything haha was quite chuffed with that

Edit. Picture of said 4 core alien.

f76cf8779054adfa394e461c9b5702e8.jpg

Last edited:

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Gorgeous @KarmicRage

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Lol I've tried the patino's, bought 2 sets of them. Now my setup is at a stage where I don't need them. I managed a 4 30 core alien without any sliders or anything haha was quite chuffed with that

That's insanity man! I probably don't need them anymore but when starting out I was having my cores constantly collapse and basically having yelling rage fits in my basement. The wifey was concerned. But I guess that's the best and in most cases, the only way to learn.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Revolver swivel?

Very nice, getting better I do say, and your ideas on improvement are insightful
Nice one meg, appreciate it. I haven't managed to get a set that look anything like Raymo's yet lol he said he threw in a set with the clamps for me so that's more of a reason why I can't wait for them to turn up . Taste what they're supposed vape like lol this one tastes quite good still

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Edit. Picture of said 4 core alien.

f76cf8779054adfa394e461c9b5702e8.jpg
What does that ohm out to about?

Locomotion

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I don't think anyone has done this yet.An alien staggerton dayum.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

What was the quickest way of breaking them in? Got 3 sets coming in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn you are killing it with these coils mate how you finding the clamps? Still waiting on mine :wait:
mine took a while to clear through customs too (compared to everyone in the states that seemed to have them a week before me lol). i think they are great. i put the big one in my big drill, and the swivel one in my hand drill, and i have the usaohmmeters swivel clamp if i need one on the swivel side. i have only done two builds with them so far, but they are very nice feeling. i would recommend them all day long over the usaohmmeters one i recently exploded.

have you put that revolver swivel setup to the test yet?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
mine took a while to clear through customs too (compared to everyone in the states that seemed to have them a week before me lol). i think they are great. i put the big one in my big drill, and the swivel one in my hand drill, and i have the usaohmmeters swivel clamp if i need one on the swivel side. i have only done two builds with them so far, but they are very nice feeling. i would recommend them all day long over the usaohmmeters one i recently exploded.

have you put that revolver swivel setup to the test yet?

Yeah can see the package on tracking it got delivered to my local sorting centre on the 12th so should be with me soon don’t know what they’ve been doing past few days with it though

haven’t given the revolver a go yet mate not allowed to use till my birthday wasn’t even allowed the get it out the pack haha

Last edited:

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
What was the quickest way of breaking them in? Got 3 sets coming in

What I did was just straighten out 3 cores, put 2 of them on there and rolled up the ends on either side so I could just slide them back and forth on the wire to break them in. My jank apparatus was about 6" in length (TWSS). Looks suspicious if someone sees you doing it behind your back ;)

Then you can just break them in while watching TV or what have you. Probably spent a good hour on them.

They may have been improved since the last time I bought them, but I initially noticed they would get hung up and wouldn't slide perfectly until I "seasoned" them.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yeah can see the package on tracking it got delivered to my local sorting centre on the 12th so should be with me soon don’t know what they’ve been doing past few days with it though

haven’t given the revolver a go yet mate not allowed to use till my birthday wasn’t even allowed the get it out the pack haha
You just gotta do the old switch-a-roo and swap it with a decoy right? No one will know, although swapping it back might be an issue..

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What I did was just straighten out 3 cores, put 2 of them on there and rolled up the ends on either side so I could just slide them back and forth on the wire to break them in. My jank apparatus was about 6" in length (TWSS). Looks suspicious if someone sees you doing it behind your back ;)

Then you can just break them in while watching TV or what have you. Probably spent a good hour on them.

They may have been improved since the last time I bought them, but I initially noticed they would get hung up and wouldn't slide perfectly until I "seasoned" them.

Sounds good... I got 3 sets so my hands are going to be full haha. I was going to go meet Chris and just pick them up from him but I got lazy... so now I gotta wait for USPS to bring em haha. Ironically if I wasn’t lazy and did go and pick them up, I would have missed the 50% off sale he had going on his website yesterday

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the nice comments guys. It really helps me out and keeps me working on more. For that 4 core alien I haven't a clue what the ohms are as I haven't mounted it, soon as I do I'll throw up some colour shots and ohm ratings and such.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
the frames are 3 x .3mm.
Cool..
Today was full of fails, tried stacking 16 .3 ribbon and gave up til tomorrow, and popped my 46 awg and decided to cut it...it's gonna magically disappear on me someday now but I got the kink out.
Also got in a hurry and triangled a fused clapton which was going great with sliders lol :/

Day of fails over, twisted and claptoned some 26 just to have something Work
:oops:

And capped it off with losing my patience and heating one coil before installing the other one LOL
Screenshot_20180215-182635.png

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool..
Today was full of fails, tried stacking 16 .3 ribbon and gave up til tomorrow, and popped my 46 awg and decided to cut it...it's gonna magically disappear on me someday now but I got the kink out.
Also got in a hurry and triangled a fused clapton which was going great with sliders lol :/

Day of fails over, twisted and claptoned some 26 just to have something Work
:oops:
ugh i hate those days. sometimes its just not going to happen though. im not usually superstitious, but if i am failing things i can normally do, i feel like its time to take a break and wait it out (planetary alignment, angry spirits, evil eye etc).

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just found this in the discard pile, what an alien stagg looks like when the gaps are too small to run into. Put a framed staple in the middle of this one. Definitely need to try a double framed one or even a sandwiched framed staple and see if that gets the outer wire stretched enough. By that I mean the same framed staple that's in the middle put on around it. Will probably give that a go tomorrow and update y'all :)
69905fa9cf919bf49e43232210316b27.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just found this in the discard pile, what an alien stagg looks like when the gaps are too small to run into. Put a framed staple in the middle of this one. Definitely need to try a double framed one or even a sandwiched framed staple and see if that gets the outer wire stretched enough. By that I mean the same framed staple that's in the middle put on around it. Will probably give that a go tomorrow and update y'all :)
69905fa9cf919bf49e43232210316b27.jpg

ill have to have another crack at alien staggs soon. i have been trying to work on staggering in general lately because i always sucked at it. i also just got a quad parallel box that loves to fire low builds like these, so i have been experimenting in a whole new range of resistance (for me).

heres a couple color shots from the all ribbon ssfc i did last night. in total 14 x .3mm (3 x .3 for each frame). paraclaptoned with that 38g fishing line and 38n80. 3.5 wraps 3mm .08 ohms. i dunno if my skill level recently made a little jump, or if the new clamps are helping more, but my last 5 or so builds are all things i didnt really think i could do, yet i did :cheers: one thing i do know for sure has helped me, has been this thread and its participants :hug:
sssfcc2.JPG
sssfcc.JPG

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
ill have to have another crack at alien staggs soon. i have been trying to work on staggering in general lately because i always sucked at it. i also just got a quad parallel box that loves to fire low builds like these, so i have been experimenting in a whole new range of resistance (for me).

heres a couple color shots from the all ribbon ssfc i did last night. in total 14 x .3mm (3 x .3 for each frame). paraclaptoned with that 38g fishing line and 38n80. 3.5 wraps 3mm .08 ohms. i dunno if my skill level recently made a little jump, or if the new clamps are helping more, but my last 5 or so builds are all things i didnt really think i could do, yet i did :cheers: one thing i do know for sure has helped me, has been this thread and its participants :hug:
View attachment 103823
View attachment 103824

Looking good brother!! Clamps do make a giant difference man, EVERYTHING with coil building is in the prep work. Hell im using the 3D printed drill clamp from USAOhmmeter and that’s even helping (after a few long Rants I had about wire slipping out of it, I think I finally figured out the issue haha). I am going to be grabbing Raymo clamps next batch tho, things are super clean.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looking good brother!! Clamps do make a giant difference man, EVERYTHING with coil building is in the prep work. Hell im using the 3D printed drill clamp from USAOhmmeter and that’s even helping (after a few long Rants I had about wire slipping out of it, I think I finally figured out the issue haha). I am going to be grabbing Raymo clamps next batch tho, things are super clean.

thanks man :cheers: yeah prep is really the key. bad prep can make a fused clapton build hard, or a framed staple impossible, but good prep makes both of those builds pretty much equal in difficulty (stack your cores, clapton, vape).

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
thanks man :cheers: yeah prep is really the key. bad prep can make a fused clapton build hard, or a framed staple impossible, but good prep makes both of those builds pretty much equal in difficulty (stack your cores, clapton, vape).

Yeah, for sure. I went to my local bait & tackle shop the other day and bought some weights to hold the loop for staggering... it actually worked out really well. I didn’t do a full wire build, I only staggered a 17” 26g to make sure it would work. I got it set aside for when I’m done with the next few sets of fraliens I have to make (can’t wait to get a build into my new Phobia RDA.. it was pretty cheap but it’s a gorgeous RDA in the matte black).

It’s funny... when I stopped building wire, the only way to stagger was to either para Clapton and remove 1 or do the loop/finger method haha... when I started looking around on YouTube for newer tricks, I couldn’t believe the things people came up with... pretty incredible community we’re a part of, I can’t believe I ever stopped building!!!!

VU Sponsors