Become a Patron!

Post your builds

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are staples with ribbon bigger than 0.3 that much harder to wrap? I've only used 0.3 ribbon, and it seems to wrap easy; I use my hands and only get out the pliers to hold one end if the wraps start sliding on me
The .4 ribbon got a little stiff towards the end of the coil last night. But honestly it's the first staple I've actually coiled so not really sure

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I stopped making regular staple coils because it just wasn’t worth it.. took to much effort to wrap them lol. Try doing the framed staple coils. They are an incredible vape (best core setup in my opinion) and MUCH easier to fuse and coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll give that a shot Tonight. What size round wire should I use for frames in a .4 ribbon wire? Maybe a 28? I figure 26 may be too thick

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Totally agree with you about the stretching. If you try to add more stretch to the wire while your binding you could end up giving too much tension and pulling the stack out of order. We have very similar methods of making fraliens as I agree with everything you said. I'm not really familiar with the Patinos Alien Makers but I'm gonna look into them for me its just a paper clip for the first couple inches and the off we go. I get the wrap real tight... if I don't screw up my groove from my anxious left leg bouncing up and down hehe. Glad you are back into your building groove. Sometimes I'll do a regular framed staple. I find high gauge framed staples vape nicely for me. I'm a sole N80 builder so what I like to do is make a single coil 6ply .5 ribbon/26g frames/36 or 38g wrap. I'm not knocking kanthal or stainless steel I think if that's your thing then more power to you, I just prefer the taste I get from N80. Some people say they can't tell a difference so I dunno, I could possibly be a weirdo. If I'm gonna dual them I'll use .3 ribbon instead of .5. I'm also a sole mech mod user, although I'll use my DNA250 from time to time to get some color for a photo. I'm no where near as good as catching color as you are, not even close, but its always fun to see a little color of some sort on a build. Hopefully tonight I'll have something new to post! I wanna do another staple helix but you need daylight for that sh*t haha. Be well man, looking forward to your next post.

Http://www.patinos3d.com I believe that’s the site for them. I don’t really taste much of a difference between kanthal and n80 but some people do... I haven’t used SS enough to say anything about it... I just starting using a mech mod for the first time in years. I was vaping on mech mods when regulated devices weren’t a thing yet. Once VV/VW became a thing I jumped over to using them. If it weren’t for squonking, I’d probably never had use a mech again if I’m being honest

EDIT: Patino makes an amazing swivel setup also. A bit pricey but def. worth it. I’m going to grab it once my spin LT starts to shit the bed

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll give that a shot Tonight. What size round wire should I use for frames in a .4 ribbon wire? Maybe a 28? I figure 26 may be too thick

Actually if your referring to width, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 26 and .4 are extremely close to one another.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

It doesn’t really matter the height of the ribbon, it’s the width. So
5 strands of ribbon = 24g width
4 strands of ribbon = 26g width
3 strands of ribbon = 28g width
2 strands of ribbon = 30g width

So if you want to do a basic fralien try 2x 26g frames and 4x .4x.1 ribbon. That will be the same as doing a standard 3x 26g alien

EDIT: I never actually looked at the dimensions of 30g so I’m not 100% sure 2 strands of ribbon are the same width... I’m just making an assumption based on the pattern of 24-28g widths that I did work with before!

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

So if you want to do a basic fralien try 2x 26g frames and 4x .4x.1 ribbon. That will be the same as doing a standard 3x 26g alien

EDIT: I never actually looked at the dimensions of 30g so I’m not 100% sure 2 strands of ribbon are the same width... I’m just making an assumption based on the pattern of 24-28g widths that I did work with before!
Thanks man I appreciate it

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I work mainly with 30awg, it's 0.255 mm so you can go either way, my last alien staple was 12 ply, 13 would have been closer to "exactly" 3x0.255 but would also have been harder to work with

Also go either way with frames 28 or 30 awg for 0.3 ribbon, 28 is a bit closer and can get right at 0.3 if you stretch it quite a bit

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

This is exactly right and we all know @AnthonyLouis knows how to make great fraliens. I have noticed that alien wraps have a certain "accommodation range". For example my go to is a 6ply .5 ribbon/26g frame/26g decore (usually 36g or 38g binding) and that creates a great single coil for me. You could even dual that on a regulated mod like a DNA200-250 (as it would ohm to .07-.09). It's a little harder to catch a groove since I'm not in the "optimal" 4 ply range. But its still just narrow enough to accommodate the 26 decore alien wrap and it does work. I've also gone the other way and done a 5 core alien with a 22g decore instead of doing a conventional 24g decore in order to get the wraps extra wavy, so once you get a good hold of what Anthony suggested, you can start playing around a little bit with your parameters and experiment. But definitely do what Anthony suggests first. Then once you get comfortable with that you have a small amount of variance to play with. It can be endless amounts of fun.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
regarding wrapping up staple variants without buckling...i dont use a vise or any tension on the wire stick. i only apply any pressure to the current/next wrap by kinda walking my fingers around the jig/rolling the jig into my fingers. both my thumbs and index fingers are pretty much touching the coil and the jig for the whole time, and nothing else. havnt had ribbon buckle on me once since i started doing this. anything from 6 x .3mm plain staples, 12 ply alien staples, 10 x .4mm/26 frames, stapled helix, doesnt matter...i have seen people recommend torching the wire before hand, cutting the wire in half to protect your second coil from buckling while you wrap the first one etc etc, but all i need is my coil jig/screw driver/drill bit.

ill try to figure out how to make a video or take some pics for the staple thread later, but no promises on that. i failed last time i tried to use a video here, but i am a little better equipped to try again this time.2

edited - typo in build description

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
regarding wrapping up staple variants without buckling...i dont use a vise or any tension on the wire stick. i only apply any pressure to the current/next wrap by kinda walking my fingers around the jig/rolling the jig into my fingers. both my thumbs and index fingers are pretty much touching the coil and the jig for the whole time, and nothing else. havnt had ribbon buckle on me once since i started doing this. anything from 6 x .3mm plain staples, 12 ply alien staples, 14 x .4mm/26 frames, stapled helix, doesnt matter...i have seen people recommend torching the wire before hand, cutting the wire in half to protect your second coil from buckling while you wrap the first one etc etc, but all i need is my coil jig/screw driver/drill bit.

ill try to figure out how to make a video or take some pics for the staple thread later, but no promises on that. i failed last time i tried to use a video here, but i am a little better equipped to try again this time.
That's actually really interesting I'd like to try that... although your prep work is so solid that I could probably put your stack in a vise and spinning wheel kick it and the only flopping that would occur would be in my groin muscles and my hip flexors, but not the ribbon:D

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's actually really interesting I'd like to try that... although your prep work is so solid that I could probably put your stack in a vise and spinning wheel kick it and the only flopping that would occur would be in my groin muscles and my hip flexors, but not the ribbon:D
lol yeah, a properly prepped framed staple stack feels like it could be an ok crossbow bolt or shiv in a tight situation :cheers:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
regarding wrapping up staple variants without buckling...i dont use a vise or any tension on the wire stick. i only apply any pressure to the current/next wrap by kinda walking my fingers around the jig/rolling the jig into my fingers. both my thumbs and index fingers are pretty much touching the coil and the jig for the whole time, and nothing else. havnt had ribbon buckle on me once since i started doing this. anything from 6 x .3mm plain staples, 12 ply alien staples, 14 x .4mm/26 frames, stapled helix, doesnt matter...i have seen people recommend torching the wire before hand, cutting the wire in half to protect your second coil from buckling while you wrap the first one etc etc, but all i need is my coil jig/screw driver/drill bit.

ill try to figure out how to make a video or take some pics for the staple thread later, but no promises on that. i failed last time i tried to use a video here, but i am a little better equipped to try again this time.

Sherlock Hohmes had a tip I held on to, for wrapping anything with multiple cores, pull more on the side that's going against the previous wrap

Like, more down first

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry for the long hiatus in posts. Glad to see some really tight builds on return and glad to see attempts at things outside people's comfort zones :) @mach1ne I didn't know Raymo had done such a fine gauge alien, yours still look sick dude. Due to not having Internet connection I will still likely be unable to post, but, I will return muahahahah. Hopefully with some new builds too, still off my feet because of the foot but have spun up a few builds that I'm yet to photo.

And STILL NO DAMN CLAMPS!!!!

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah its a little heartbreaking seeing all the buckled staple variants back there, but its a sign of progress. all those people will eventually hit those builds if they try again (and again and again in some cases).

we will hold the fort until your return :cheers:

View attachment 106569
It does disappoint ya when you think you've done everything right and it seems to fall apart at the wrapping stage :/ think one of the best purchases for that problem is a set of clamping pliers. It really helps to be able to give the wire I good bit of tension while wrapping. I'm fuming about it now like, cause I haven't even had a card in to say I need to get in touch about payment. Some cunt best not have lost my clamps.... Heads will roll otherwise haha. While I haven't been as active at the drill I have been getting stacks ready for my return haha different sizes and mixes of ribbon stacks. I have more at home but this is my "staying out" activity box hahaha proper anorak (-_-)

c4d7ae311d6f144addaf940033f89146.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nice work @Zohmbiebuilds i keep meaning to make some 2core aliens. i have been kinda phasing out my fused clapton builds for smaller staples lately, but i really like me some 2x28 fused claptons in the petri on unregulated series, and i have never tried alien wrap on that build somehow.

They don't have to be 8 core staggered helix fraple maple vaples to be posted right?
ill take anything you got @Pegleg Meg :blowkiss:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry for the long hiatus in posts. Glad to see some really tight builds on return and glad to see attempts at things outside people's comfort zones :) @mach1ne I didn't know Raymo had done such a fine gauge alien, yours still look sick dude. Due to not having Internet connection I will still likely be unable to post, but, I will return muahahahah. Hopefully with some new builds too, still off my feet because of the foot but have spun up a few builds that I'm yet to photo.

And STILL NO DAMN CLAMPS!!!!

You better get your clamps And internet back by Monday, or someone is gonna pay! *shakes fist*

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can say definitely that the I tenet won't be going anywhere lol, the clamps are a whole different brain strain :/

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Slightly different. View attachment 106642 Enough with the Fraliens! I gotta move onto the stapled helix.

I'm kinda tired of making aliens too, but didn't want to quit till I could make them perfect every time - but that may be a while so I'm gonna get back on trying to stagger, and staple coils with 46awg wrap

Too bad it's Spring Break this week, I don't get to sneak away to build much when my daughter is home...can't even use the bathroom in peace without her barging in :giggle:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Why do some builders like using kanthal for their cores? (Clapton's/aliens) are there any advantages over just using N80 for your core and wrap?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well, when you have a bajillion cores, nichrome will end up being too low a resistance sooner than kanthal because its resistance is lower

Nichrome cores do heat up faster, just have to be aware of resistance

Like even just with a fused clapton with two 26 guage cores, 5.5 wraps of kanthal has 0.2 ohms but you'd need 7.5 wraps if the cores were nichrome to get the same resistance

Me in particular I use only kanthal because nickel gives me a Bad sore throat

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Ahhh, so that's what you meant by the full 16.8 volts...I was imagining something like a HOG with all series batteries
View attachment 106710
Not going to lie. I didn't make these. Or the last ones I posted. Buddy of mine makes some coils and gave me a pair. What are these called? I like the flavor and ramp up on them. Would like to make some

That looks like twisted claptoned wire, that's what I would call it

I really want to make something today, even if it's just a staple coil, man:oops:

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3 hours and nothing to show for it. I'm done for now. Cores kept collapsing so my last attempt I made the cores 8 inches long, taped the ends and tried it without swivels. That was even worse.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3 hours and nothing to show for it. I'm done for now. Cores kept collapsing so my last attempt I made the cores 8 inches long, taped the ends and tried it without swivels. That was even worse.

Yea I can't do anything without the swivels. Fused is about the best I can do. Although my staple wasn't too bad the other day. You'll get it man.

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I'm gonna try a framed staple. Screw aliens lol

Are you using anything to keep your cores flat? Regular wrapping is even harder to keep cores flat than aliens if your ribbon isn't either super tensioned or you have binding wire or something to keep everything flat and parallel

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you using anything to keep your cores flat? Regular wrapping is even harder to keep cores flat than aliens if your ribbon isn't either super tensioned or you have binding wire or something to keep everything flat and parallel
I was going to wrap each end to keep it together but I suck and couldn't even get that far.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was going to wrap each end to keep it together but I suck and couldn't even get that far.

Have you made 3 core fused claptons? Start there, straighten the wire, cut them equal lengths, bind them with an inch of ribbon wire or a couple inches of high guage wire, pinch the cores flat and use your thumb to hold the binding wire while you wrap it around, and use toothless pliers to squeese the cores and binding wire flat from each side

And either put a lot of tension on the cores between the drill and your swivels, or use another piece of ribbon or high gauge wire to keep just an inch or so in front of where you'll be wrapping, and slide it down as you go in very small increments, the smaller the more stable

VU Sponsors