Become a Patron!

Post your builds

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
While not a coil builder I had been doing some experimentation to cool off a vape on a new 3X18650 Series tube mech and decided to do some cloud chasing.

Which of course sent me down a rabbit hole.

2 X 24 Gauge Kanthal A1 and 1 X 22 Gauge Nichrome 80 twisted.

v8t9RtA.png

Cant really tell from the photo but I flattened it out. Was going to hammer it flat but wifey was napping. Filed down and sandblasted clean a pair of cheap needle nose pliers and flattened the shit out of them. Made about 3 ft worth of usable.

Decided to test it out on the Hog V3 and a Mad Modder Prohibition Edition 30mm RDA
MmNYRyi.png

After some careful spacing, a very wide coil (each coil is 6 in) and adding an additional mm of length to each leg it came out to about .45 and with some HE 4's, wicked with rayon did not burst into flames and produces a pretty cool and cloudy vape.

We have had to open the windows because I fogged out the house.

Sorry for late reply...you are a Builder, imo

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is the MTL build I was talking about. Only simple but it works well for me :) 2 30g twisted together then 2 of the twisted wires fused with 46g. Practically instant glow at 20w and is .34 ohms
f3e1787f84a569a61785554a8cb5792f.jpg
73445a1c4aef54312d7b091672eb58dc.jpg
1042cafefe06baebc58877e760ed4136.jpg
6c857f8fe2fe243f8232882da7571320.jpg
69c57adb27ebfb3d6e0bae6e5b59aecc.jpg
de0defae3e8220396963bc4aba0cd2e6.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm still finding it hard to adjust to 46g, can barely see the shit as it's moving lol. I'll get there eventually :)

You fooled me, I couldnt see the coils because I have to open the pictures larger on my phone - you said simple and what I saw did not look simple :teehee: looks badass is what it looks

Btw, I made my instagram account just tonight to try it, embarassed I had to rush picking my name so went with the old pegleg_meg69 lol, dunno if I still like that name ehhhh....

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You fooled me, I couldnt see the coils because I have to open the pictures larger on my phone - you said simple and what I saw did not look simple :teehee: looks badass is what it looks

Btw, I made my instagram account just tonight to try it, embarassed I had to rush picking my name so went with the old pegleg_meg69 lol, dunno if I still like that name ehhhh....
Nice one meg :) I don't think it's all that complicated, just a bit of a bitch to get nice smooth fusing. Might also be down to the selection on cores/amount of twist etc. Have to keep practicing lol.
I wouldn't worry too much about the name, it can be changed later on if you come up with a better one. Good to see you on there though, now get sharing lol

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is the MTL build I was talking about. Only simple but it works well for me :) 2 30g twisted together then 2 of the twisted wires fused with 46g. Practically instant glow at 20w and is .34 ohms
f3e1787f84a569a61785554a8cb5792f.jpg
73445a1c4aef54312d7b091672eb58dc.jpg
1042cafefe06baebc58877e760ed4136.jpg
6c857f8fe2fe243f8232882da7571320.jpg
69c57adb27ebfb3d6e0bae6e5b59aecc.jpg
de0defae3e8220396963bc4aba0cd2e6.jpg

I love the look of this build. It came out really cool! So you're just twisting two wires together and claptoning them? How's the flavor? Thanks again for the beautiful photos!

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Framed staple for tonight. Staggered stuff was killing me so I did this for redemption. What a day
42b5e8db3ebc9191e15f77d834115d10.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'm diggin it bro. Your stuff is looking better and better each day. So great to see your progress. Staggered stuff kills me too. I mean I can do it but its a major PITA for not that much benefit in flavor IMO so I'll only do a SSFC once in a while and even then they are usually nothing to go nuts about. Wait till a year from now you'll be building circles around us all!;)

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks, Shredder! But it was actually a collaboration between myself and a member of the TVF forum that came up with it.
Well its beautiful none the less. One day I'll figure out how to make the coil! You've witnessed me figure out a lot up until this point. Largely because you inspired me to be better with Purecoils.:D If you look a little up the page you'll notice I got that 40g binding down. Finally:stars:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is such a clean fralien. What a great job Meg. Your so super talented Superhero.

Thanks man, I was shocked at how smoother wrapping goes after I changed how I hold my drill. Not important but there's no ribbon in that alien :cool:

I took my Templar apart today, the zinc insulator is broken in half. I broke it. :oops: Round wire builds fire fine, everything else shorts at the posts. I kept tightening trying to get shorts out, and it snapped I guess, probably the day I got it. Huh :oops:.

I really like this RDA otherwise? Except it doesn't effing work with any coils I want to put in it...
IMG_20180417_104814_2~2.jpg

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks man, I was shocked at how smoother wrapping goes after I changed how I hold my drill. Not important but there's no ribbon in that alien :cool:

I took my Templar apart today, the zinc insulator is broken in half. I broke it. :oops: Round wire builds fire fine, everything else shorts at the posts. I kept tightening trying to get shorts out, and it snapped I guess, probably the day I got it. Huh :oops:.
NO RIBBON!?!?!? Forget everything nice I ever said about you. JK!!! You have a unique ability to make very aesthetically beautiful coils and you're one of the most active builders on this site. I don't know how you manage it. I have little ones myself and I'm lucky if I can get a build up a week. I have the Templar myself I bought it from PureCoils.com. I happen to love the RDA. I hope my zinc insulator doesn't break! At least they are affordable. Maybe it would just be worth getting another one I dunno. Seems like a good RDA. I'm sorry your insulator broke.:oops:

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love the look of this build. It came out really cool! So you're just twisting two wires together and claptoning them? How's the flavor? Thanks again for the beautiful photos!
Nice one Shred mate, I proper appreciate the kind words. Its not just twisted wires then claptoned. It's 2 lots of twisted wire fused together parallel. The flavour off it is great, got a strawberry, lemon, lime and melon MTL mix in here and its mouth watering haha. Again nice one dude

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nice one Shred mate, I proper appreciate the kind words. Its not just twisted wires then claptoned. It's 2 lots of twisted wire fused together parallel. The flavour off it is great, got a strawberry, lemon, lime and melon MTL mix in here and its mouth watering haha. Again nice one dude

Ahh I got it, two lots of twisted wire claptoned together with a high gauge wire. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea and giving it a try hehe.:idea:. I'm always looking for a new idea for a coil. Sounds delicious!

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahh I got it, two lots of twisted wire claptoned together with a high gauge wire. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea and giving it a try hehe.:idea:. I'm always looking for a new idea for a coil. Sounds delicious!
Don't mind at all. Not even my idea lol make sure to show us your coils too dude :)

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On a random note: waterfalls/banes burn the inside of your nose with 18mg juice need to makes a new batch at 12 me thinks. Also for a MTL build it can kick a fair bit of vapour out

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was going to be a nice framed staple. Then it collapsed. I guess the clothes pins aren't for this one. Ribbon sliders it is. I planned on the pins for the staggered framed staples. Figured I'd try this. Boo
2abc939abd99511d43539ea429d2054a.jpg
929a923726a5c1ad3b43178eb354940f.jpg

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My second try at Mohawk. So close I can feel it hehe got a couple good wraps. Next time I think I’ll get it right. I think twisting the cores together a little bit helps. Funny how an alien wants to collapse, yet the Mohawk wants to flatten out.
969e4146ddf355aafe3b5d8b04153bf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
3x28ss 36n80 with the help of patinos alien makers. Haven't graduated to the alien yet.
76b5c506eb2b0d11ed543a0bab954dc2.jpg

Really clean dude... those Patinos sliders are a god send... I just use them as sliders now to keep the wire together, I stopped letting them glide with my alien wrap... to many times it got caught on a twist and messed me up lol

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My second try at Mohawk. So close I can feel it hehe got a couple good wraps. Next time I think I’ll get it right. I think twisting the cores together a little bit helps. Funny how an alien wants to collapse, yet the Mohawk wants to flatten out.
969e4146ddf355aafe3b5d8b04153bf8.jpg

Very cool man. They are not that hard if you stretch the decore a little less than you normally would and you find the tension and the groove you need. I posted one a while back. I hadn't done one in a while and I had to get that feeling back cause it's different from a regular alien but you did a great job. The more you practice the cleaner they get:)

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm not 100 happy i want tighter wraps.. :tantrum: but it's okay these macro shots makes me want to do best :eek::D
Honestly the faster you can spin the drill while you are in your alien groove the tighter the wraps are going to be. I figured this out while doing fraliens. If I went along half inch by half inch the wraps would be a lot looser and inconsistent. If I get in the grove and then pick it up to full speed there is a moment where the binding starts off spaced and then quickly tightens up while still in the groove. You can tell its working when the drill is spinning at full speed and your still progressing slowly on the core wires while in the groove. That's an indication that the wraps are wrapping as close as they can get next to one another and its the only way I do my alien binding. Just food for thought.:D

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With macro lenses and the right light you will see spaces most of the time. I think when you slightly overstretch the decore like with wider fraliens the gaps can get tighter. Also thinner gauge decore will give you a smoother finish, and less noticable gaps :)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started standing up again so I can hold the spool farther away from the drill, that helps a lot, the farther the better and the faster it can go

Ramming speed!
I noticed the same on my triple cores last night. I usually hold the wire 3 or 4 inches away. With those I was about 8 away and it was a lot smoother.

VU Sponsors