Become a Patron!

Post your builds

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First build on my copper TOBH clone.

Did an 11 wrap of 28 gauge on a 1.8mm screwdriver. Dual coils for 0.7 Ohms wicked with cotton.
Powered by a Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mah 20A battery

HR6RLCEl.jpg

0N5RHFQl.jpg

QmrQDWHl.jpg

Does quite nicely IMO. :D

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got' dan', that Mephisto just looks better every time I see it. I think I'm close to breaking down and getting one.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got' dan', that Mephisto just looks better every time I see it. I think I'm close to breaking down and getting one.
The posts are just obnoxious. I traded my zenith for it, which I never thought I'd get rid of coz I loved that thing for its post design and flavor. The mephisto lacks the flavor of the zenith but everything else makes up for it. My only complaint is lack of airflow in dual mode. I feel that for builds below 0.2 it's gets extremely warmer than any of my other RDAs. Wish they would have positioned the slots higher and made them wider. Still has nuts airflow though.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This what I am using on my the TOBH clone I use on my Precise Simplicity (26650). .23 dual verticals.

A note for those that have never used the bigger TOBH that amazes me. It should be called an RBA!!!! I can drip 30+ drops (or more) into this damn thing. I am loving it.

I'm enjoying my smaller 22mm one too. It's got that conical reducing cap and the fins, easy to build on, everything comes apart nicely and the air adjusting works well.
I do wish I could close the air holes entirely off though for carrying. :-/

TK Bisher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This what I am using on my the TOBH clone I use on my Precise Simplicity (26650). .23 dual verticals.
MZhxW4D.jpg

Here's what it looks like on the mod.
n8KrMNe.jpg

A note for those that have never used the bigger TOBH that amazes me. It should be called an RBA!!!! I can drip 30+ drops (or more) into this damn thing. I am loving it.
I see you have the MBV cinna roll, have you tried the sticky bun? I prefer it over cinna roll. BTW nice set up!

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Less is more, here is my humble build on an RM2 weighing in at 0.9 Ohms. And, yeah, the wick was replaced right after taking the photo. Don't laugh :)

RM2_Build_2.png

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
Hurricane coil..wheeee!!

How do you like the Hurricane coil? I'm thinking about doing a tri-cane in the Cerebus.

Here's my current tri. Need to adjust a bit but it's pretty crazy with all the air here even at .45ohm

rupa6e3u.jpg

with single cotton strand at the moment.
4e9eqyjy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the hurricane coil is more of a novelty build as far as mechs go; flavor/vapor isn't anything far better than a standard micro-coil, but the throat hit is noticeably stronger.

However, the hurricane coil at 1.3ohms will produce the same vapor density as a microcoil at .7-.8 ohms. With that said, I guess this build would be ideal for someone with a Provari or other limited power device.

I tried the hurricane coil at below 1ohm but the TH and vapor temperature is way too intense for my personal preference.

(BTW, the hurricane coil pictured above was closer to being a 1.4ohm build)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Perhaps related:

After I'd stripped the clearcoat off of my copper King v2, I could swear it is hitting more smoothly than before.
The atty was not changed at all, using the same (recharged of course) battery too.

It could be that the build is just breaking in at this point, but it seems a lot less harsh and more fluid in how it performs than previously had been.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
image.jpg Siamese tiger build, 0.09 ohms on my mephisto. Sooooooo warm. I really wish this thing had more airflow :/

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 2075 Siamese tiger build, 0.09 ohms on my mephisto. Sooooooo warm. I really wish this thing had more airflow :/

0.09 Ohms ??!!!??

I really hope that is a typo. You just cannot reliably or safely maintain such a low value with a mechanical connection and handmade resistances. That is getting into the realm of solid-state electronics, not general electricity. I don't know any 18650 that could handle it either.

If I were to try that, I'd be plugged into the wall and using a very good AC/DC converter.

At .09 you're at 196 watts and 46.67 amps. :eek:

Old Electronics Joke: "What do you call a zero-ohm resistor?"
Answer: A fuse.

Last edited:

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
Siamese tiger build, 0.09 ohms on my mephisto. Sooooooo warm. I really wish this thing had more airflow :/
My goodness at 0.09 shooting compressed air into it wouldn't cool if off. I mean that's 196 watts on a fully charged battery. Also 47amp draw, good lawd. I hope that's a cloud build for competitions or you're trying to reproduce the TH of ever clear ;)

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years

Old Electronics Joke: "What do you call a zero-ohm resistor?"
Answer: A fuse.

:LOL: there is a 100% chance I'll be using this somewhere.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My goodness at 0.09 shooting compressed air into it wouldn't cool if off. I mean that's 196 watts on a fully charged battery. Also 47amp draw, good lawd. I hope that's a cloud build for competitions or you're trying to reproduce the TH of ever clear ;)

Yea this is in no way an all day setup haha. Mainly because I'd be switching batteries every 20 minutes. Also, I understand that ohms law gives those types of numbers when plugged in but once you factor in voltage drop under load, internal resistance, and the fact that voltage fluctuates rapidly with such a low load, I'm actually pulling in the neighborhood of 37 amps which is completely within the pulse rating of vtc4/vtc5 batteries. I wouldn't trust this build with something like an efest or LG though. I only take 2 or 3 second pulls, which is all you need with a build like this. Definitely competition only.

Also, I don't in any way recommend doing this. I understand the risk and I know what I'm doing. These are not the types of builds that I do for my customers.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yea this is in no way an all day setup haha. Mainly because I'd be switching batteries every 20 minutes. Also, I understand that ohms law gives those types of numbers when plugged in but once you factor in voltage drop under load, internal resistance, and the fact that voltage fluctuates rapidly with such a low load, I'm actually pulling in the neighborhood of 37 amps which is completely within the pulse rating of vtc4/vtc5 batteries. I wouldn't trust this build with something like an efest or LG though. I only take 2 or 3 second pulls, which is all you need with a build like this. Definitely competition only.

Also, I don't in any way recommend doing this. I understand the risk and I know what I'm doing. These are not the types of builds that I do for my customers.

Yeah, I kind of figured that you do. But, I see so many YT vids and entire channels now devoted to this sort of vaping. And, most of the comments are of the "OMG, I gotz 2 try dis kewl sh17" variety. Monkey See, Monkey Do.

Just makes me a bit sick inside when I see some of these kids doing builds, when they have no concept of the danger. Just that's hella kewl or something. o_O

FAIK, the majority of people under 30 in this country have zero electronics knowledge, if they even have any real education at all. And, now there are people who are being set up with their FIRST mods being mechs built in the sub-ohm range by vendors. This whole "eXtreme" vaping thing could ruin it for everyone as the FDA certainly _IS_ monitoring social media as part of their ongoing studies.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I kind of figured that you do. But, I see so many YT vids and entire channels now devoted to this sort of vaping. And, most of the comments are of the "OMG, I gotz 2 try dis kewl sh17" variety. Monkey See, Monkey Do.

Just makes me a bit sick inside when I see some of these kids doing builds, when they have no concept of the danger. Just that's hella kewl or something. o_O

FAIK, the majority of people under 30 in this country have zero electronics knowledge, if they even have any real education at all. And, now there are people who are being set up with their FIRST mods being mechs built in the sub-ohm range by vendors. This whole "eXtreme" vaping thing could ruin it for everyone as the FDA certainly _IS_ monitoring social media as part of their ongoing studies.
Oh I understand completely. I see way too many new rebuilders at the shop that want to dive as low as they possibly can. I'm pretty confident in my coil building and the first thing I try to do is show them builds that will work well on whatever regulated device they have. Even with my guys that come in that have been doing this for a while, I still don't do low builds for them. I just love pushing boundaries, and love the art of building coils! There are several builds I've done that have came out too low for me (below 0.1) that I didn't even do a test fire on. I just wanted to have the build under my belt and have a nice picture for reference.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone. I just built a .83 ohm on a tug boat with 28 guage wire it take some time for it to produce vapor. Is this normal. Also I don't hear that sizzle like I do on my .3ohm stillare thanks in advance

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also what is the most common drill bit size to build coils.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
With the same size drill bit, more wraps equals more ramp up time.
With the same number of wraps, larger drill bits equals more ramp up time.

Part of the fun of rebuilding is trying new things. You'll end up finding what you prefer that way.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
With the same size drill bit, more wraps equals more ramp up time.
With the same number of wraps, larger drill bits equals more ramp up time.

Part of the fun of rebuilding is trying new things. You'll end up finding what you prefer that way.

Thank you

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're welcome.

Try a super nano coil wrapped around a sewing needle on a cotton cloud for some serious sizzle. No ramp up time whatsoever. ;)

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea I was like wtf!! I figured .83 on 28 gauge would produce vapor semi quick. I had six wraps. I guess my coil was to big.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
image.jpg Had to see what the fuss was about, Gplat 24 build. My friend gave me some to play with. I understand that there's controversy with this stuff. I mean I see why it's hyped up, but I'd rather use 22g kanthal.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone ever drip gambit from five pawns. I love it in a tank but I never dripped it.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is it really that much softer and easier to work with?
Thanks, @vinnyvapes. Yea it's way softer than 24g kanthal. It stays in place and holds it shape perfectly. The resistance per foot is LOW too. Dual 7 wraps put me at 0.11 ohms, which if that was regular wire it'd be closer to 0.3 ohms probably.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
image.jpg One more Gplat build, for science! I wanted to try and get a higher resistance, so dual 10 wrap on a 3/32 bit. Came to 0.2 ohms on the dot.

I will be discontinuing my use of Gplat after tonight. I just wanted to see what was up with it. There's a pretty big difference in how quick it heats up, and the vapor is a lot more dense than 24g kanthal. The flavor seems a bit sweeter on the juice I'm using than what I was getting from normal wire as well (honeydew/pineapple DIY mix, 90% VG).

Sigh, I wish the specs on this stuff were out. It's a treat to work with. But I'm going back to kanthal til we learn more.

VU Sponsors