Become a Patron!

Potentiometer mods

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I have a Smoant Charon Adjustable. Can anyone tell me why I'm getting better hits from this mod than my vw mods? Would also like recommendations for other mods like Charon Adj. please. Regulated only.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
only thing like it that i know of is the hexohm

its variable voltage so it works lightly differently then variable wattage

but with this type of mod there is no bucking or boosting the power provided is constant and is only what the battery can supply.

the only other thing like this is a pwm mod. but they dont have as much saftey features. a few pwm mod chips do have saftey features built in. but most of these are custom built mods not something coming out of china
but PWM is only similar to vv not exactly the same, but it is closer to vv then vw

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Thinking this Surric xr will be an excellent b'day present to myself. I'm loving the silver. Hope there is still one in stock in November.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The original Hex Ohms were actually variable voltage output. With Buck only capability.
Not sure about the ones since then.

Most all the potentiometer mods now are pulsed DC output control.

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Looked at those, corners too sharp. Surric's look beveled. More comfortable to hold and definitely a handsome mod.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i own 3 pwm mods. best mods i own. never want to buy a vw or vv mod again

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
My 1st one is Smoant Charon, only had a couple of weeks. Loving the simplicity and it seems as if batts and wicks last a bit longer. Have become a bit infatuated with it. By my birthday will know if this is rabbit hole I want to jump in.
:bunny:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a hexohm 2.1 and, looking at the Surric, the Surric looks sharper. I also have two charons. I never use my hexohm. It was my rda mod and never tried it on a tank.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i own 3 pwm mods. best mods i own. never want to buy a vw or vv mod again
OInly problem I what with Potentiometer type of mods is how to set accurately for some of my vaping. I may vape one coil at 17 watts and another at 22.
With a digital setting I can be sure and not burn my wicking.

I can see where those who indulge in high wattage vaping most of the time would like the PWM mods though.

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can also check out a Hooligan smart pwm. Awesome mod

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I seldom drip. Love the flavor, but get tired of the dripping part. Squonking on my radar now. I've been vaping 2.5 yrs and finally finding my groove. C frame dual batt mods my favorite. I'm sure I'll order another Charon Labor Day. Wish they more color options. Would love an unpolished brushed stainless steel one. No sticker.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
OInly problem I what with Potentiometer type of mods is how to set accurately for some of my vaping. I may vape one coil at 17 watts and another at 22.
With a digital setting I can be sure and not burn my wicking.

I can see where those who indulge in high wattage vaping most of the time would like the PWM mods though.
I usually vape 30-40w on single coil rta. Find my sweet spot pretty quick. AVS 3 core clapton a personal favorite.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also you must have a 2 battery serial mod for PWM to be any good unless you vape at wattages below 40 or so.
do not work too well with single battery mods.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
my regulated mods never go above 50
i use the same build and tanks on my pwm mods and usually set the pot at 50
i use dual coil ss claptons that come in around .7 total
pwm mods are just simple. they are much like a mech but with the ability to adjust the pulse of the volatge so you can adjust for different builds
plus most are actually repairable is something goes wrong

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
My coils are generally .24 - .37. I stay somewhere between the 2 and 3 mark on
pot button. As long as I stay above .2 I'm comfortable with this type of mod.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have a Smoant Charon Adjustable. Can anyone tell me why I'm getting better hits from this mod than my vw mods? Would also like recommendations for other mods like Charon Adj. please. Regulated only.
FYI some are regulated some aren't. PWM mods are not regulated so shouldn't be built below I'll say .35 for a safe limit but really you can push to .3 which is where most of the manufacturers tell you not to build below

as far as regulated ones like the charon VV (which i love and love VV mods in general)

the dovpo M VV is a great one. usually under 35 bucks and it's volt range is amazing. fires as lows as 1 volts all the way up to 8 IIRC while most VV mods have a 3-6 range roughly.

The ijoy maxo zenith. it's a triple battery mod but is awesome and under 20 bucks at times

Hexohm 3.0 yeah it's pricey, but i have a clone version that performs excellent and those run around 50-60 bucks. of course you can't go wrong shelling out the 200 bucks for an authentic as they have lifetime warranty

Tesla invader 3 - really tiny but nice. I didn't care as much for it as the others due to only being 23mm wide so overhang plus it's minimum voltage was 3.6 which i deemed to be too high as a minimum. some builds i used the lowest power i could apply was over 100 watts

tesla also has a invader 2/3 which is a dual or triple option VV mod, but i can't speak much on it other then i know it exists. I don't have one personally.

If you wanted to know more ask away or you can check my youtube channel. I have reviews and tech results from the hexohm 3.0, dovpo M VV, and maxo zenith. Also currently working on a review for the charon VV

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I seldom drip. Love the flavor, but get tired of the dripping part. Squonking on my radar now. I've been vaping 2.5 yrs and finally finding my groove. C frame dual batt mods my favorite. I'm sure I'll order another Charon Labor Day. Wish they more color options. Would love an unpolished brushed stainless steel one. No sticker.
Put your tank above your dripper. The tank will leak into the dripper so you'll never need to re-drip again. :bliss:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Wish I had thought of that when I was still using tanks that leaked! Maybe I'll dig the Bachelor out and see if it works.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same as with any other regulated mod... up/down until the vape feels just right. Only difference, after it starts getting a little too weak then up some.
am old enough that my familys first TV had a clickless tuner. Click stop ones are much better.
Digital vs analog.

I just like the accuracy of repeatable adjustment that a digital readout gives me.

Not saying the mods are bad or anything just not for me.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
am old enough that my familys first TV had a clickless tuner. Click stop ones are much better.
Digital vs analog.

I just like the accuracy of repeatable adjustment that a digital readout gives me.

Not saying the mods are bad or anything just not for me.
This "accuracy" thing reminds me of the age old CD vs. vinyl debate. The sound of an audio CD stays exactly the same as last time you played it back, but the real important issue is that the only thing accurate about it is the obvious fact it repeatedly and accurately just sucks in direct comparison to the sound of the same music album's original first U.S. vinyl pressing.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thinking this Surric xr will be an excellent b'day present to myself. I'm loving the silver. Hope there is still one in stock in November.
Try 5150mods on eBay, I've bought two from him in the last month, they are NIpwm mods, they have buttons to raise the voltage rather than a pot. Damn nice mods, can vape a day and half without charging the 3S lipo, which charges in about 15 minutes from dead to full charge.

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will post a pic of my Surric next week when the setup is complete.

The newer ones are outstanding, timeless, Jackson, splash line and serious edition have the new and much improved Mitec button, the Surric XR Vault had the more flush button and it was hit and miss.

I'm a Surric fan, I have three of them and they have never missed a beat.

Pics soon ;)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Try 5150mods on eBay, I've bought two from him in the last month, they are NIpwm mods, they have buttons to raise the voltage rather than a pot. Damn nice mods, can vape a day and half without charging the 3S lipo, which charges in about 15 minutes from dead to full charge.
what's the amp limit on the lipo he includes?

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what's the amp limit on the lipo he includes?

Not got the answer but just wanted to add he does a dual 18650 version too

Although they are way over priced, very easy to make one of these, only three wires..

Hope your well buddy, not been on the tube for a while, catch ya soon ;)

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Not got the answer but just wanted to add he does a dual 18650 version too

Although they are way over priced, very easy to make one of these, only three wires..

Hope your well buddy, not been on the tube for a while, catch ya soon ;)
doing good thanks for asking :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Tesla invader 3 - really tiny but nice. I didn't care as much for it as the others due to only being 23mm wide so overhang plus it's minimum voltage was 3.6 which i deemed to be too high as a minimum. some builds i used the lowest power i could apply was over 100 watts

I absolutely love the Tesla Invader 3 - have a couple of them

Might be kinda old school (two or more years since they were released!) but man, just a great little mod that puts out

And I love the look, no plastic, no goofy logos or space age looking crap and doesn't look as boxy as some of the others. Oh yeah, and they are very inexpensive for something that seems to last :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

Might be kinda old school (two or more years since they were released!) but man, just a great little mod that puts out

And I love the look, no plastic, no goofy logos or space age looking crap and doesn't look as boxy as some of the others. Oh yeah, and they are very inexpensive for something that seems to last :)
it was pretty well built and cheap i'll give it that. it's a nice little mod for sure. I actually have the invader 2/3 now

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Lucy :hug:
Yup, they are good but only 22mm tanks fit :p

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been looking at the Dovpo M VV again. Have a feeling the silver will be in a cart soon. Maybe get a Drop for a topper.
I have the black one which has a somewhat rubberized coating which feels good in the hand. It hits good and is a very solid, simple mod IMO
bc5111cb3ca8aac8781228ed48381738.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a pot mod but kinda like one with a screen and has to be mentioned as they are beyond awesome.

Double Barrel V2.1 - What a mod that is, got mine this morning, instantly ordered another.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I have the black one which has a somewhat rubberized coating which feels good in the hand. It hits good and is a very solid, simple mod IMO
bc5111cb3ca8aac8781228ed48381738.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I haven't read a single negative comment about the mod since it's release. That is a pretty good track record. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
my concern is longevity. of this mod and its repairability but for like $30 it seems like something I should have on my wish list

VU Sponsors