Become a Patron!

Power for Arctic .5 ohm coil?

I've been smoking cigarettes for years now and have turned to vaping to help me quit. A week or so ago, I bought an Eleaf iStick 50w box mod with a Horizon Arctic subohm tank. It comes with 2 coils, one with a .2 ohm resistance, the other with a .5 ohm resistance. The .2 ohm coil claims a range of 30-100 watts and the .5 a range of 30-80w. Obviously my battery can't put out more than 50w anyways so I'm not too worried about the .2 ohm coils, and using said coil rips fine at 50w. When I use the .5 ohm coil however, I can't even imagine bringing it up to 80w because it seems to taste kind of burnt/dry at even 40w and I have been using it at around 30-35w. Then again, I may just be used to a very smooth vape with the .2 ohm, and I haven't bother raising the battery beyond 40w because i have no idea what could go wrong. Does anyone else have this tank or a similar set up that could shed some light on how high you can run the .5 ohm coil?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had very mediocre results at a range of wattages with my Arctic, both on 0.2 and 0.5 with the iStick 50 - will be trying it on another device to see if I can finally get the thing dialed in...

Sorry I'm not much help, will move this over to Clearomizers where it should get some more views.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I love my arctic I Vape at 35 watts (sometimes 30)
Didn't use my .2 yet...
The BDTD works better than the regular .5 I've noticed and takes more juice so the regular is fine!
Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poisonsliver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my arctic I Vape at 35 watts (sometimes 30)
Didn't use my .2 yet...
The BDTD works better than the regular .5 I've noticed and takes more juice so the regular is fine!
Enjoy

Aha!!! You got the Arctic :D:D:D

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to run the. 2 ohm coil in my Arctic around 60-62w or so on my
IPV4... Only downside is this thing is a juice hog, and with the rather small tank I have to refill it quite often..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't try the 2 ohm YET.... But the btdt coils eat juice the reg .5 is not bad

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't try the 2 ohm YET.... But the btdt coils eat juice the reg .5 is not bad

Do you like a warm or cooler vape?
both the .2 and .5 are BTDC (Bottom Turbine Dual Coils) I'm using at the moment....
I find the .5 coil to be a cooler vape with OK vapor/flavor at 40-45w..
I like the .2 coil as its a warmer vape
with excellent flavor and for the thick clouds it produces at about 60-62w...
(sorta the best of both worlds, depending on my coil choice..lol)...but I'm a deep, cloud blowin lung hitter at heart, and the Arctic with the .2 coil does blow massive clouds, especially with the VG max juice I use...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I was just wondering if you might be able to post a cloud pic vaping your Arctic...this cloud is typical with the .2 BTDC at 60w..not too bad for a tank, lol
cc68a996baf10b7da31ac4a96dc2c80a.jpg

Last edited:

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just had to use it! My new coils are in route and I am LovING the .2 coils! Wow wow wow! I wish I ordered those! LoL

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just had to use it! My new coils are in route and I am LovING the .2 coils! Wow wow wow! I wish I ordered those! LoL

Yeah, I really like them too...clouds just short of dripping...

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The flavor is UNREAL! I'm vaping ryze maidens milk first time and it is sooooo sooooo GOOOOD!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The 0.5 ohm coils are great if you want to use less power and battery to get a good vape.
A 0.2 ohm coil would be more for a cloud chaser.

Theoretically the 0.5 ohm coil should last nearly twice as long as the 0.2 ohm coil when it comes to the battery
0.5 ohm coils also push the chip less and should make the mod's life last longer.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I wouldn't run a 0.5 ohm coil over 35 watts.
Any higher just heightens the risk of getting a burnt hit because of the juice and airflow to the wick.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I run 0.2 ohm coils at 57 watts on my Sigelei 150 V2.

VU Sponsors