Become a Patron!

Pre-Built Coils and Ohms Law

Hi, i was wondering is there a equation to calculate how many ohms when running dual pre-built coils? Sorry if this is a noob question. My first mech mod is arriving tomorrow and i want to make sure it doesnt blow up. Ive been using a tfv12 on a 100w eleaf istick for the longest but its pointless because my mod does not go past 100w which my tank can handle up to 350w and its lowest ohm rating i can go is .15 and the coils burn out too fast. So im going to start rebuilding on a vgod pro rda. If theres any tips you can give me help is appreciated.

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html

Learn how to use this for building. It’s not always gonna be spot on for the resistance but it’s never let me down.

And on my regulated mods a .2ish build usually suits how I vape. I generally go for something hot builds. I started off building 26g Kanthal A1 Parallels as my preferred build for something hot on a regulated device but that ohms out higher than .2

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi, i was wondering is there a equation to calculate how many ohms when running dual pre-built coils? Sorry if this is a noob question. My first mech mod is arriving tomorrow and i want to make sure it doesnt blow up. Ive been using a tfv12 on a 100w eleaf istick for the longest but its pointless because my mod does not go past 100w which my tank can handle up to 350w and its lowest ohm rating i can go is .15 and the coils burn out too fast. So im going to start rebuilding on a vgod pro rda. If theres any tips you can give me help is appreciated.

Ok, first always test your build on either a regulated mod or ohm tester like a 521 Tab to see what your final resistance is

Then type that resistance in here:
OHMS LAW CALCULATOR
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

Then change the battery Voltage to 4.2, this is the voltage of a fully charged battery which goes down during use, until recharge

Then check the Current (amps) that you get. Be sure the current (amps) is not higher than your battery's actual specified maximum current/amp rating. This is only necessary for mechanical mods, not regulated mods

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Imo mechs should only be used by people who don't have the questions you asked. It's great that you want to learn. We all do. But right now, your not ready.

Since it's in mail, your going to get it I feel obligated now to set you straight.

1. Battery safety (what do you use)
2. Battery rating (always give yourself leeway so there is no problem.
3. Ohms law. If you have a phone I find vapetool app works great in figuring out the ohms wattage and volts. You just plug in what you know for certain and it will fill out the results for you.

I like .17 build but I cannot recommend a build for your because I don't want to be responsible.

You need to stay above .2 until you know what your doing. .2

What battery are you using? That's the real question as to how low you can go. I still think above .2 is safe for now

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As Meg said.
ALWAYS check out mech mod builds with an Ohm meter.
ALWAYS. And it is not just the coil resistance you are checking for. Shorts happen too.
And do it with the top on if an RDA as the coils have been known to short to the top cap.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What kind of mech mod is it? Do you plan on using it with a subohm tank? Depending on the mod, that is usually a bad idea.

Does not sound like you should be using the mech just yet. Maybe hold off until you know what you are doing and have a safe set up.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Another piece of very important info, if it is a hybrid connection mechanical mod, is ONLY use RTA’s/ RDA’s with FIXED protruding 510 pins, no sub ohm tanks with factory coils.

images

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the impression he/she was talking about prewrapped claptons, and not factory coils?
I have been wrong before though.

But yes never use an atomizer that uses factory coils on a hybrid style mech.
And always check all atty resistance before putting any atty on a mech, be it hybrid or not.
Factory coils have been known to short.

I got the impression he/she was talking about prewrapped claptons, and not factory coils?
I have been wrong before though.

But yes never use an atomizer that uses factory coils on a hybrid style mech.
And always check all atty resistance before putting any atty on a mech, be it hybrid or not.
Factory coils have been known to short.
I wasnt planning on using my tfv12 on it i know thats a bad idea... My setup thats arriving today is a vgod pro mech with vgod pro drip rda. Im sorry if my question wasnt clear but i got it figured out now. If im running a dual pre-built coil setup with the first coil matching the second when the second coil is added... resistance drops in half. I got it figured out now... I did 3 days of research on safety now and i think i know what i need to know but ill always still measure ohms. I just wasnt sure if i was calculating the pre-built coils right since i only have information on the specs of 1 coil in a rda not a dual coil setup. Thanks anyway!!!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A Newb, if you don't want to melt your face off or burn the house down stick with this until you have an idea what the hell you're doing -

1. Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, fucking batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid shit batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
http://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
https://www.illumn.com/
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple.
Example: with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

A Newb, if you don't want to melt your face off or burn the house down stick with this until you have an idea what the hell you're doing -

1. Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, fucking batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid shit batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
http://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
https://www.illumn.com/
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple.
Example: with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.
Thanks for the reply... Ill save this for the future if i need any reminders... I think im all set but ill view this over again when it arrives. Thanks everyone ill update in a couple hours when mail gets here. ;)

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the reply... Ill save this for the future if i need any reminders... I think im all set but ill view this over again when it arrives. Thanks everyone ill update in a couple hours when mail gets here. ;)
He is a mech enthusiasts. He knows his stuff. A decent build to start with would be a simple Nichrome80 24g 8 wraps on 3.0 dual will come out to right .3 when it's glowed, worked out hotspots etc.

You do know how to build right?

It's as easy as wrapping some Nichrome80 around a 3.0 jig or precision screw driver. You can look up the ID of any given precision screw driver. I forgot which one is 3mm. I just use a jig.

Or, your could go down the rabbit hole I love Building..

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Update:
I received it in the mail earlier today.
I'm currently running a .3 ohm dual coil build but the ramp up time is slow but than again its only a single 18650.
I really love the setup I'm using right now one or two pulls and my bathroom is filled with vapor more vapor than my tfv12 ever produced.
Thanks for the help i really enjoy vaping even more than i did before!!!

VU Sponsors