Pro tank 2 coil

wildcoy73

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where do I start on this build.
Error once already see 24 gauge is to big.
What gauge would I need to use. Would like to be 1.5 to 1.8 on this tank. Batter I have for it is a cheap vv orbit battery. Most likley be doing micro.
Thanks

wildcoy73

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lost me. What do you mean parallel. Are they being wraped together?

Sirkris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like 32 as well. I use a 5/64 drill bit.
Yes, parallel means two strands wrapped simultaneously around the bit. It's equivalent to a dual coil in a small space.
I can get a 1.5-1.6ohm parallel coil to easily fit in the head.

Sirkris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I start with about a 6-7 in piece of kanthal folded in half. I start with the two cut ends against the bit, while holding the folded part in my hand. Then start wrapping. With that small of kanthal you need to keep a good bit of tension as you wrap to maintain the tightness of your coil.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
32 is the best you can use in those (I was rebuilding my PT2s before I ever got my first Kayfun). Although the stock Kanger coil is like 34. 6 tensioned micro wraps at 1/16” and you've improved the crappy stock coil by miles.. Don't go over about 10w though or you'll start burning those insulator grommets..

30g verticle coil wrapped around a 1/16" drill bit is what i use for the pt2/evod coils. Packed tight with japanese cotton. Good airflow, good vapor and great flavor. The leads are not symmetric so, it does start to heat up closer to the bottom. I do the same with the pt3 coils but i use 28g ka1 since they're taller. I wont lie the first few were a PITA to build but, after i got it down its worth it IMO.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ive done 32g, 30g and now trying 28g.

I have to say the 28g is quite nice...you get more wraps for wick coverage and it gives off a really nice flavor.

Im doing 7 or 8 wraps (micro) on a 2mm i.d. and its working great.

Ive gone as low as 1.2ohm so far with 28g...very surprising clouds but im also using the v3 air flow controller ,so that helps.

28g is really as large of a gauge as you want to use in those coil heads...anything bigger creates leaking from the 510 pin grommet.
20150310_022639.jpg

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With my mvp2, 32g parallel around a 1/16 bit worked the best for me due to the 11w limit.
4qZEqey.jpg

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With my mvp2, 32g parallel around a 1/16 bit worked the best for me due to the 11w limit.
4qZEqey.jpg
How many wraps is that?...most i could get to work properly was 13 wraps on 30g and it was almost 3 ohms...lol
20150125_220527.jpg

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How many wraps is that?...most i could get to work properly was 13 wraps on 30g and it was almost 3 ohms...lol
View attachment 16547
Yeah, that's why I used parallel with the 32. Got me a decent length without stupid high ohms. Couldn't avoid slight spacing though. Compressing and torching two separate, super thin wires wasn't gonna happen. I'll check my notes about the wrap count and add it later.

Pretty sure it was 7 1/2 wraps. I know it was 1/16" inside diameter and it measured 1.2 ohms.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors