Become a Patron!

Problem with TFA Bourbon flavour

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi to all. I recently made a few batches of e juice using The Flavour Apprentice Bourbon concentrate. I mixed it with some Flavour Art cola and some TFA RY4 double. Thing is, after 3 weeks steep it tastes nothing like Bourbon at all. I mixed it at 5% and tried 10% but either way it actually tastes like some weird grape flavoured lolly! In fact with the RY4D there is that grape taste but at the very end i get an almost "mushroom" taste. Totally revolting. Can bear it with the Cola, Cola Grape vape bit odd but not sickening but damn, the RY4D mix is bad. Not my Pg or Vg as from the same batch of those i did RY4D and FA Cola, good vape, a straight RY4D which is nice and a FA rum FA Brandy with etc etc. Its just the TFA Bourbon that is rubbish. Thought id ask here before i question my supplier as i have read that some concentrates from various makers are just junk and nothing like they are supposed to be. The flavour is not Kentucky Bourbon, just straight Bourbon. Cheers.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, very odd. I've never had TFA Bourbon, in fact I've never even seen it offered, only their Kentucky Bourbon flavor. The later is pretty decent provided of course you like the taste of bourbon. :)

Any chance you ended up with Vanilla Bourbon instead? That one isn't bourbon flavored in any way, it is just named as such due to the locale where the raw material is sourced.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I find the TFA KY Bourbon to be a really strong flavor. When I've used it, I had to take it down to 0.5% or it took over anything else it was mixed with. I fall into the minority on that, though, I do see most people using it higher. You could always try the "less is more" and see how it works out for you. We all taste things differently.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've only tried Kentucky Bourbon also and agree with Huckleberried that it's very strong. Maybe the super high percentages are distorting the flavor. I would try a 1%-2% batch by itself (no other flavors mixed in) and see what it's like.
If it's not Kentucky Bourbon, I don't know. Didn't know they had a regular bourbon??

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi to all. I recently made a few batches of e juice using The Flavour Apprentice Bourbon concentrate. I mixed it with some Flavour Art cola and some TFA RY4 double. Thing is, after 3 weeks steep it tastes nothing like Bourbon at all. I mixed it at 5% and tried 10% but either way it actually tastes like some weird grape flavoured lolly! In fact with the RY4D there is that grape taste but at the very end i get an almost "mushroom" taste. Totally revolting. Can bear it with the Cola, Cola Grape vape bit odd but not sickening but damn, the RY4D mix is bad. Not my Pg or Vg as from the same batch of those i did RY4D and FA Cola, good vape, a straight RY4D which is nice and a FA rum FA Brandy with etc etc. Its just the TFA Bourbon that is rubbish. Thought id ask here before i question my supplier as i have read that some concentrates from various makers are just junk and nothing like they are supposed to be. The flavour is not Kentucky Bourbon, just straight Bourbon. Cheers.
Did it come from Wiz labs?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the replies. It isnt Vanilla Bourbon just straight Bourbon. I got it here in Australia from a supplier who sells The Flavour Apprentice concentrates. When i was placing my order the picture showed actual Bourbon. Maybe it is stronger than others iv had from TFA and i should try it at lower %. All the other TFA ones iv had were good at those % i used. The place i got it from is southerncrossvapers.com.au By the way, Im here in Oz but evert time i put an enquiry on vaping into my search 9 times out of 10 vaping underground showed up in the top 5 results so i joined up here, looked like the most switched on place. Cheers.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for all the replies. It isnt Vanilla Bourbon just straight Bourbon. I got it here in Australia from a supplier who sells The Flavour Apprentice concentrates. When i was placing my order the picture showed actual Bourbon. Maybe it is stronger than others iv had from TFA and i should try it at lower %. All the other TFA ones iv had were good at those % i used. The place i got it from is southerncrossvapers.com.au By the way, Im here in Oz but evert time i put an enquiry on vaping into my search 9 times out of 10 vaping underground showed up in the top 5 results so i joined up here, looked like the most switched on place. Cheers.
TFA is all over the place. 5% is generally a good percentage but some flavors are SUPER strong. Examples: Tiramasu, Honeydew,
Honey (any honey flavor is typically very strong), caramel cappuccino, maryjane, taro and a few more... So you really should be careful.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok thanks. Ill try a small bottle at a really low percentage and see how it goes. Fingers crossed. If it fails it going down the sink where i poured a Musk i once got. Love musk candy, but wasnt a good idea to vape it. We all have different tastes though huh! Thanks again.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok thanks. Ill try a small bottle at a really low percentage and see how it goes. Fingers crossed. If it fails it going down the sink where i poured a Musk i once got. Love musk candy, but wasnt a good idea to vape it. We all have different tastes though huh! Thanks again.

Each to their own, but I'm still trying to understand the three flavors mixed in your OP. I guess some could see the combo as having a flavor of smoking while drinking a bourbon & coke. I see it as vaping a juice of flavored tobacco which was soaked in cola. That does not appeal to me and can understand your results.

At several different percentages I've made stand alone TPA/TFA Kentucky Bourbon. None was all that good or vaped like I was actually drinking Bourbon. It is a bourbon Flavoring and I believe it is not made to replicate a sip or 2 of the real thing. I wish it did. :drunk:

I suggest your consideration in perusing the search results in the DIY Recipe section of this forum. Use Bourbon and or Whiskey in the Search box.

Thank you for your posts! They reminded me to mix another batch of Whiskey Caramel Pudding. ;)

Ron
---
"The proper method for inquiring after the properties of things is to deduce them from experiments."- Isaac Newton

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Ron, no didnt do a RY4D Cola and Bourbon in one.It was just a mix of RY4D and Bourbon and a Cola and Bourbon seperate. RY4D and Rum is great as well as brandy but, ha ha, not all in the same bottle. Sorry the post wasnt clear on that.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My TFA KY Bourbon smells straight up like Bourbon. To my recollection, it tastes like a bourbon, even at a really low %. If yours doesn't smell like bourbon, maybe inquire with them about it.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmm, just went and checked and nope, doesn't smell like a bourbon at all. Cant put my finger on it, what the smell is, not offensive but no way like a bourbon or any type of liquor, candy like. Maybe he put the wrong flavour in the dripper bottles i got. Ill still try the reduced % mix though. Thanks.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow, that low. Ok ill give it a go I sort of went by the % recomendation from the suppliers web site info. He's a good guy so even if it turns out the concentrate was off or got mixed up I wouldnt be dirty on him, mistakes get made, i make them myself. Here's hoping the goof was mine with too high %. Thanks.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No, I've seen people use it at a higher %, you're not the only one. Seems that Rin, Wally and I are the only ones that have to drop it super low, LOL.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Contacted the vendor and told him about it and turns out when he checked the batch that he doesnt think its Bourbon either. So he,s sending me a couple of bottles of Flavour west Bourbon to replace it. It may have been incorrectly labeled from TFA. I reckon its grape. So iv got 2 30ml bottles of Ry4d and grape vape.o_O

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Contacted the vendor and told him about it and turns out when he checked the batch that he doesnt think its Bourbon either. So he,s sending me a couple of bottles of Flavour west Bourbon to replace it. It may have been incorrectly labeled from TFA. I reckon its grape. So iv got 2 30ml bottles of Ry4d and grape vape. o_O:wait:
Oh, glad they're taking care of you on that. That's good business :)

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Contacted the vendor and told him about it and turns out when he checked the batch that he doesnt think its Bourbon either. So he,s sending me a couple of bottles of Flavour west Bourbon to replace it. It may have been incorrectly labeled from TFA. I reckon its grape. So iv got 2 30ml bottles of Ry4d and grape vape.o_O
That doesn't sound good... Ry4D and grape???

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is good of them Huckleberried, most of the vape suppliers iv dealt with from NSW here in OZ are. Funilly though i live in a different state, Victoria. Hey Rin, oddly enough the RY4D and (im convinced it's grape) was not one i would go out of my way to ever make but its not horrible. Im keeping it for a "something different" now and then. Its got that grape candy taste about it. Ha ha, im not gonna suggest anyone make it but iv definitely made worse. Cheers all.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It is good of them Huckleberried, most of the vape suppliers iv dealt with from NSW here in OZ are. Funilly though i live in a different state, Victoria. Hey Rin, oddly enough the RY4D and (im convinced it's grape) was not one i would go out of my way to ever make but its not horrible. Im keeping it for a "something different" now and then. Its got that grape candy taste about it. Ha ha, im not gonna suggest anyone make it but iv definitely made worse. Cheers all.
Lol... I've heard of weirder combinations that actually end of vaping well. At least it's vapeable.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, iv got 2x grape and cola too. They are not that bad either. Half an hour ago the post delivered the Flavour West Bourbon, yes, this even smells like Bourbon. Looking forward to mixing up some actual Ry and Bourbon this time. I hate the wait for the steep though but its nearly always worth it.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, iv got 2x grape and cola too. They are not that bad either. Half an hour ago the post delivered the Flavour West Bourbon, yes, this even smells like Bourbon. Looking forward to mixing up some actual Ry and Bourbon this time. I hate the wait for the steep though but its nearly always worth it.
Lol. I wonder how they got Grape mixed with Bourbon? The names aren't even similar.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ha ha, i agree, maybe the labeler was getting into some real bourbon at the time! Thank goodness they didnt mis-label the Bacon flavour! Ry and that, spew for sure. Couldnt believe it when i once saw Bacon listed on a vape site list of concentrates. Was expecting to see Egg as well, LOL. Cheers Rin.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ps: after a slightly longer steep that initial mushroomy taste has gone. Strange how things alter with time steeping. Makes me think about some mixes i have tipped out because i didnt like them that may have been ok and turned out good with a longer steep, and a bit more patience on my behalf. Lesson learnt on patience with this weird mix for me.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ps: after a slightly longer steep that initial mushroomy taste has gone. Strange how things alter with time steeping. Makes me think about some mixes i have tipped out because i didnt like them that may have been ok and turned out good with a longer steep, and a bit more patience on my behalf. Lesson learnt on patience with this weird mix for me.
I usually will give a mix a month (unless I forget)... I figure if it's not good after a month, it's either not going to get better or it takes too long for my impatient A

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep im hearing you on that. Im a relative newy/newie. Iv had some that iv thought "toxic" but a few weeks later thought "hmm, ok im not gonna repeat it but im not gonna flush it it either, lol. Cheers Rin and thanks for all your input.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Frank. Iv given up on trying to do a warm sweet bourbon like i like to drink. I just cant for the life of me nail it. Kept trying for a nice tobac with hint of bourbon, just kept making crap. Im hoping my recent effort for tobac/whiskey works, just gotta let it steep for a few more weeks.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
i had a similar problem. so i switched to flavor west bourbon and its spot on. i go 70/30.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
i fing too many tobaccos tend to fight each other thus spoiling the tast.

VU Sponsors