Become a Patron!

Problems with Arcticfox firmware?

truztno1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey, I have the I stick pico 75 and I'm being told that the Arcticfox firmware is awesome by many people.... That's all good but I want to know if ther are any horror stories about this firmware?
Ie. People upgrading it and their mods malfunctioning, etc.

I don't want to even chance it if there is even the slightest chance of malfunctions....... Anyone?

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The pico75 is supported by AF and is one of the mods of the lead dev, so don't worry. It's like upgrading the stock firmware in regards to failures, so no problem...

AF is a crazy nice firmware, hence why many praises it, though there are many issues with current eleaf/joytech/wismec mods with badly assembled units, and some unit's with design flaws and installing AF will not help with that though, but if you have a good mod, then it'll only get better, so if you're interested then just go for it as i'm sure you'll not regret it! :)

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey, I have the I stick pico 75 and I'm being told that the Arcticfox firmware is awesome by many people.... That's all good but I want to know if ther are any horror stories about this firmware?
Ie. People upgrading it and their mods malfunctioning, etc.

I don't want to even chance it if there is even the slightest chance of malfunctions....... Anyone?
Malfunctions are possible with OEM firmware. .. and the fix is the same for both FW brands...

So if this is your concern.... i suggest a NON updatable regulated mod or mech.... these are less likely to have software gliches. If software concerns you don't get a mod that uses it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, I mistook the term malfunctions, for actual damage to the electronics... Thanks for the correction :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, I mistook the term malfunctions, for actual damage to the electronics... Thanks for the correction :)
No need... Answer would be same..... AF is no more or less likely to cause physical damage or electronic damage than the original software......

I have used AF in a pico75 version 1.... no issues... that I didn't have with OEM fw.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not much to add but I have a few mods running AF a Pico being one of them. I had no issues. You wont be sorry if you decide to down load it and if for some reason you don't like it you are able to reflash your mod to the OEM firmware.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Speaking of Picos, I have AF on one Pico. It's been telling me battery low when I just put in a new batt and either won't fire or fire for 2 seconds then quit. Only error msg is Battery Low. WTH?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Speaking of Picos, I have AF on one Pico. It's been telling me battery low when I just put in a new batt and either won't fire or fire for 2 seconds then quit. Only error msg is Battery Low. WTH?

OR could be a bad battery or bad connection.... Does it give same message with ALL batteries or just the one and what about when on USB?

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
.52Ω - 55W - 10.3A
What does the display show for battery voltage when you’re not firing the mod? And when you do fire the mod what does it show? To get the battery displayed on a Pico with AF, 4 quick clicks and the lower left value flashes, press the + (or minus) button until battery voltage is displayed to see. Wait till it quits flashing (or hold fire button until it stops) to set this to display. Note- when pressing the + button while it’s flashing the first voltage displayed is battery voltage, press again and coil voltage is displayed. Sounds like a bad battery or it’s not really charged or poor connection. Or something worse perhaps. Or you did something goofy during setup like setting the cutoff voltage too high. Time to troubleshoot:)

Last edited:

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I've had this happen with my Pico. The fix was cleaning the treads on the battery cap. I used a paper towel with some alcohol, fixed it right up. It did take me longer than I'd like to admit to figure that one out.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
What does the display show for battery voltage when you’re not firing the mod? And when you do fire the mod what does it show? To get the battery displayed on a Pico with AF, 4 quick clicks and the lower left value flashes, press the + (or minus) button until battery voltage is displayed to see. Wait till it quits flashing (or hold fire button until it stops) to set this to display. Note- when pressing the + button while it’s flashing the first voltage displayed is battery voltage, press again and coil voltage is displayed. Sounds like a bad battery or it’s not really charged or poor connection. Or something worse perhaps. Or you did something goofy during setup like setting the cutoff voltage too high. Time to troubleshoot:)

You're right, David. It was the battery. I had 2 old LG brown's that I've been using but not often enough in my estimation to be beyond it's life already. They're now retired. I did score 2 more browns at Mitten Vapors, one of our contest host's website with a $15 off coupon. I also have the LG reds. They're holding up well even though I hadn't used them until 6 months ago. Had them for a year.

Your information is extremely useful to me and I've saved it. I'm not familiar with the depths of AF or Escribe for that matter.
Thank you kindly for your expert advice. :blowkiss:

Time to order new browns! I keep my 25r's for my dual mods but found a good deal on 5a's that Mooch says are actually better than 6. They're both green so I'll finally get to play with batt-wraps!

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You're right, David. It was the battery. I had 2 old LG brown's that I've been using but not often enough in my estimation to be beyond it's life already. They're now retired. I did score 2 more browns at Mitten Vapors, one of our contest host's website with a $15 off coupon. I also have the LG reds. They're holding up well even though I hadn't used them until 6 months ago. Had them for a year.

Your information is extremely useful to me and I've saved it. I'm not familiar with the depths of AF or Escribe for that matter.
Thank you kindly for your expert advice. :blowkiss:

Time to order new browns! I keep my 25r's for my dual mods but found a good deal on 5a's that Mooch says are actually better than 6. They're both green so I'll finally get to play with batt-wraps!
Glad you figured it out Ms. Trixy! I recently received 4 new LG browns myself, I like them a lot, I have 7, in testing they hold near the 3000 mah rating, around 2900ish. Do you use a charger? Some chargers can do a capacity test. Might put them on the charger again to see if they charge, or maybe not if they were dropped or something, not sure why they would fail early. Glad the AF info is useful to you, I have AF on a couple of Picos and an Evic VTC Mini, love it! :D

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I don't have a digital readout on my Nitecore i4 It was something I was hoping to get in December. My husband has a 2 bay I gave him that reads and they only charged to 1300mAh. I agree that the LG browns are quite reliable. I currently use just the reds and browns in my single battery mods. I've had the reds for over a year but not used them until about 4 months ago.

One Question: If I wanted to take Escribe off a device and use AF, and vice versa, how would I do that? Factory reset from each program?

While I'm here, for those that need it, here is the link to the AF User's manual including installation and what to download:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uF5xCzg-8LqbiCwom5oKJWhIBnt7COsrCWytwYN5Yfk/edit

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't have a digital readout on my Nitecore i4 It was something I was hoping to get in December. My husband has a 2 bay I gave him that reads and they only charged to 1300mAh. I agree that the LG browns are quite reliable. I currently use just the reds and browns in my single battery mods. I've had the reds for over a year but not used them until about 4 months ago.

One Question: If I wanted to take Escribe off a device and use AF, and vice versa, how would I do that? Factory reset from each program?

While I'm here, for those that need it, here is the link to the AF User's manual including installation and what to download:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uF5xCzg-8LqbiCwom5oKJWhIBnt7COsrCWytwYN5Yfk/edit
AFAIK reverting to the stock firmware after you installed ArcticFox is only possible through the NToolbox software that accompanies ArcticFox. Don't know much about EScribe, but I don't think ArcticFox is compatible with any DNA mod, and I also don't think EScribe is compatible with any mod that can support ArcticFox.

As for the mAh readout on a battery charger, it is neither very accurate nor very indicative of the actual runtime of the batteries. Runtime is expressed in Wh (watt hours), not mAh, so due to the difference in voltage sag you can expect to get a slightly longer runtime from the Sony VTC6 when compared to the LG HG2, and, in addition, you can expect ALL batteries from the main manufacturers to be equally "quite reliable".

VU Sponsors