Become a Patron!

Problems with finding a suitable RTA/RDTA

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yup I'll take pics when I rebuild it. Overall not to impressed. All the gta style have issues IMO. Just don't work well for my vape preference. The kumo is much better except it vaporlocks like a bitch. Haven't found a great gta style rta yet, just a few decent ones with some big cons. Also quite a few people have complained about it. They started adding extra insulators in the box now. They still haven't responded to me though about mine

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Are you using the black version? I've heard that people are having issues with that one but not with the stainless. Maybe it just I'm only hearing about that black but that's what I've read.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Are you using the black version? I've heard that people are having issues with that one but not with the stainless. Maybe it just I'm only hearing about that black but that's what I've read.
That's what a couple people just told me. So that could be why the threading is bad but both versions have the same insulator in the same spot which is a major con for me

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's what a couple people just told me. So that could be why the threading is bad but both versions have the same insulator in the same spot which is a major con for me

I see. Just figured I'd ask. A lot of people are saying it's great but there are a few that are having problems. I guess it's like new cars. Some are perfect and sone are lemons

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I see. Just figured I'd ask. A lot of people are saying it's great but there are a few that are having problems. I guess it's like new cars. Some are perfect and sone are lemons
I mean don't get me wrong. Flavor is really good but warmer then it should be. Too much metal in the build deck heats everything up. For the same reasons people love postless decks, they would hate the troll deck. But the insulator material and location sucks. The kumo is overall much better to me except the shit vaporlocks and doesn't wick well due to that. But the deck is better, quality is better, air is better, and flavor is better. It's the closest to a good gta IMO

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Not with the SS, as I stated earlier I'm running a pair of 0.16 fused Claptons with zero issues with the insulator.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Not with the SS, as I stated earlier I'm running a pair of 0.16 fused Claptons with zero issues with the insulator.

What did u dry burn at to remove hot spots? Anything over 70 melts it. I just use the single battery coil master meter and that's what melted it with a pair of aliens at .12 ohm. I'm sure the stainless would use the same one. It's bad placement of the insulator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What did u dry burn at to remove hot spots? Anything over 70 melts it. I just use the single battery coil master meter and that's what melted it with a pair of aliens at .12 ohm. I'm sure the stainless would use the same one. It's bad placement of the insulator

Pulse red, brush, etc as always with no problem. I've had it up well over 70 and I use the Reuleaux to pulse and clean coils

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I mean don't get me wrong. Flavor is really good but warmer then it should be. Too much metal in the build deck heats everything up. For the same reasons people love postless decks, they would hate the troll deck. But the insulator material and location sucks. The kumo is overall much better to me except the shit vaporlocks and doesn't wick well due to that. But the deck is better, quality is better, air is better, and flavor is better. It's the closest to a good gta IMO

I've heard the mage gta is as good or better than the troll except the liquid not having enough room between the glass and the chamber to flow to the bottom of the tank freely. There's a simple fix for this with the mage, you swap it out for the troll glass. They are essentially the same size but the troll glass is ever so slightly thinner than the mage stock glass. Maybe there's a different glass that will fit on the other one your talking about, assuming that I'm guessing what your calling vapor lock to be is the same problem that the mage suffers from.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just broke it down for it's third cleaning/wicking. Phone camera isn't the best for up close but you can see

54457971c5ea8b4399fade88e46b5b63.jpg
f12b84f0367eec41c9cf1e7f0740c1c6.jpg

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Pulse red, brush, etc as always with no problem. I've had it up well over 70 and I use the Reuleaux to pulse and clean coils

I do that for SS but for kanthal I like to make it really glow to burn off some off the metal taste 1st. This happened with kanthal glowing it past dull red.

And mind you I've done 300+ watts during testing where coils are kicking out some heat with many attys no issue, my troll would die if I attempted that. I'm not happy with the placement or the deck.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've heard the mage gta is as good or better than the troll except the liquid not having enough room between the glass and the chamber to flow to the bottom of the tank freely. There's a simple fix for this with the mage, you swap it out for the troll glass. They are essentially the same size but the troll glass is ever so slightly thinner than the mage stock glass. Maybe there's a different glass that will fit on the other one your talking about, assuming that I'm guessing what your calling vapor lock to be is the same problem that the mage suffers from.
There is a ton of room for thick juice, it just doesn't work lol. My other 3 buddies who got the kumo also have the same issue so it's gotta be a design flaw somehow but I can't explain it

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do that for SS but for kanthal I like to make it really glow to burn off some off the metal taste 1st. This happened with kanthal glowing it past dull red.

And mind you I've done 300+ watts during testing where coils are kicking out some heat with many attys no issue, my troll would die if I attempted that. I'm not happy with the placement or the deck.

I never heat my coils past red/orange, just pulse them red than dunk in water.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I never heat my coils past red/orange, just pulse them red than dunk in water.

Cause you use SS which is much better then kanthal. ;)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I also use Kanthal for my =<25mm attys for my series mods and pulse/clean the same way. I never get them beyond red/orange, it degrades the metal.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I also use Kanthal for my =<25mm attys for my series mods and pulse/clean the same way. I never get them beyond red/orange, it degrades the metal.

If i don't I get a shit taste off most of them so I'll take degrading over shit taste lol.

Either way if I want I should be able to glow or dry burn at as much as I want without it melting. No other atty has ever had that happen for me. Who puts in insulator right next to the coil? It's a poor design even if u can work around it

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Also the deck design isn't unique. The Baal V4 - el Diablo, LA - Aria, and Monarch - MCM have the same style. I have all of them and have run some hot builds in them.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If i don't I get a shit taste off most of them so I'll take degrading over shit taste lol.

Either way if I want I should be able to glow or dry burn at as much as I want without it melting. No other atty has ever had that happen for me. Who puts in insulator right next to the coil? It's a poor design even if u can work around it

I run all my coils through the ultrasonic before mounting them, that takes care of pretty much any off flavor. I also use good wire, no Chinese shit wire like KBee.

As for close insulators I've got the Nuclear and Geyser which have close insulators.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There is a ton of room for thick juice, it just doesn't work lol. My other 3 buddies who got the kumo also have the same issue so it's gotta be a design flaw somehow but I can't explain it

Ohh...weird man.
Some tanks just don't work...lol

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Also the deck design isn't unique. The Baal V4 - el Diablo, LA - Aria, and Monarch - MCM have the same style. I have all of them and have run some hot builds in them.

yeah i pretty much stayed away from all of those because the deck. I took the chance on the troll because it was so hyped up. overall pretty disappointed in it.
I run all my coils through the ultrasonic before mounting them, that takes care of pretty much any off flavor. I also use good wire, no Chinese shit wire like KBee.

As for close insulators I've got the Nuclear and Geyser which have close insulators.

I understand there are work arounds, but lets be real, how many vapors have ultrasonic and only buy top of the line coils? I have some cheap ones because I'm always switching out builds and stuff because of doing reviews. and because a lot of vapors buy them as well. Good attys shouldn't need special attention or special builds IMO. should be able to pop anything in, dry burn it as much as i want and just have it work

Ohh...weird man.
Some tanks just don't work...lol
yup weird indeed. can't really explain it. but all you have to do is unscrew the top a bit and it wicks right up.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
yeah i pretty much stayed away from all of those because the deck. I took the chance on the troll because it was so hyped up. overall pretty disappointed in it.

I understand there are work arounds, but lets be real, how many vapors have ultrasonic and only buy top of the line coils? I have some cheap ones because I'm always switching out builds and stuff because of doing reviews. and because a lot of vapors buy them as well. Good attys shouldn't need special attention or special builds IMO. should be able to pop anything in, dry burn it as much as i want and just have it work

yup weird indeed. can't really explain it. but all you have to do is unscrew the top a bit and it wicks right up.
Sounds like a vacuum issue. Have you tried slightly less cotton in the slots to allow for a little air release?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Sounds like a vacuum issue. Have you tried slightly less cotton in the slots to allow for a little air release?
yup tried a few things as did my 3 buddies on here that got them as well. next one i'm gonna try even less cotton and burp it when filling it up for the 1st time

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You don't need an ultrasonic, you can can clean them by hand which I used to do before the Ultrasonic. Those are all top notch attys and yes let's be real. You don't need to pulse the shit out of your coils to the excess of white hot. If you are are pulsing to white hot you're doing it wrong. Getting the coils that hot isn't good, not good at all.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You don't need an ultrasonic, you can can clean them by hand which I used to do before the Ultrasonic. Those are all top notch attys and yes let's be real. You don't need to pulse the shit out of your coils to the excess of white hot. If you are are pulsing to white hot you're doing it wrong. Getting the coils that hot isn't good, not good at all.

I'm a firm believer in if it works , it's not wrong ;)
in the someodd 100 atty's I've had in my vaping life, it's the only one to give me this issue, on top of that, the fact they got enough complaints about it that they started packing extras into the box now, clearly I'm not the only one. pulsing my build at about 80-100 watts is more then reasonable. any atty should handle that there are no excuses otherwise. i can do it in the supreme, boreas, griffin 25+, navigator, exo rta etc not a single issue.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a firm believer in if it works , it's not wrong ;)
in the someodd 100 atty's I've had in my vaping life, it's the only one to give me this issue, on top of that, the fact they got enough complaints about it that they started packing extras into the box now, clearly I'm not the only one. pulsing my build at about 80-100 watts is more then reasonable. any atty should handle that there are no excuses otherwise. i can do it in the supreme, boreas, griffin 25+, navigator, exo rta etc not a single issue.
Well you also need to be open to the possibility that you are doing it wrong. Heating up to white hot is not good, not good at all. White hot is the temperature where metal starts hitting its melting point and breaks down.

I'm not saying that that Wotofo isn't using shitty insulators, I for one with the SS and others are not having these issues. Which I also pointed out how the Black versions of Wotofo gear has serious quality issues. You just focused in on saying bad design. Which clearly it's not since there are a number of other decks with similar designs and numerous others with close insulators, which BTW another one is the Postless design.

BTW including spares is not a sign of bad components.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Well you also need to be open to the possibility that you are doing it wrong. Heating up to white hot is not good, not good at all. White hot is the temperature where metal starts hitting its melting point and breaks down.

I'm not saying that that Wotofo isn't using shitty insulators, I for one with the SS and others are not having these issues. Which I also pointed out how the Black versions of Wotofo gear has serious quality issues. You just focused in on saying bad design. Which clearly it's not since there are a number of other decks with similar designs and numerous others with close insulators, which BTW another one is the Postless design.

For the record, i never let it go white. i let it go past dark red into a dull orange but not a bright orange. I'm always open. hence why i tried your technique of stuffing leads before wetting the ends. i just preferred wetting them 1st. made it easier, but i was open to trying and it worked fine, but like anyone i have my preferences.

Same reason why some people like top airflow but i stay away from it personally because it mutes flavor IMO and doesn't handle hot builds well. but some people disagree.

while i can say it's plausible the black version has worse threading, i don't think it's plausible the black version would use a worse insulator. I've stayed away from decks like this becuase i'm not a fan of a bunch of metal in the middle of my decks. it's why i like open decks like postless and pharaoh style. the postless have the insulator under the coils with plenty of room for you to build them away from it. for my troll build the coil is like 1-2mm from the insulater. probably 3-4 times close then a postless would be.

as far as including spares for it, yes that doesn't mean poor quality or design, but when a company received so many complaints about melting insulators then they decided to, it shows it's an issue. It's not like they decided on their own, it was due to customers complaining. Oh and the screws are terrible too, but I'm sure you swapped your's out with better one's you keep on hand

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

check out the 7min mark to 8 mins

and a pic
2FlwXPL.png

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the record, i never let it go white. i let it go past dark red into a dull orange but not a bright orange. I'm always open. hence why i tried your technique of stuffing leads before wetting the ends. i just preferred wetting them 1st. made it easier, but i was open to trying and it worked fine, but like anyone i have my preferences.

Same reason why some people like top airflow but i stay away from it personally because it mutes flavor IMO and doesn't handle hot builds well. but some people disagree.

while i can say it's plausible the black version has worse threading, i don't think it's plausible the black version would use a worse insulator. I've stayed away from decks like this becuase i'm not a fan of a bunch of metal in the middle of my decks. it's why i like open decks like postless and pharaoh style. the postless have the insulator under the coils with plenty of room for you to build them away from it. for my troll build the coil is like 1-2mm from the insulater. probably 3-4 times close then a postless would be.

as far as including spares for it, yes that doesn't mean poor quality or design, but when a company received so many complaints about melting insulators then they decided to, it shows it's an issue. It's not like they decided on their own, it was due to customers complaining. Oh and the screws are terrible too, but I'm sure you swapped your's out with better one's you keep on hand
You stated that you heat them up to white which is why I went WTF! Even extended orange/red isn't good. You should always just pulse.

Anyway Wotofo has a history of the Black gear having serious quality issues. That's why IMO they only send out the SS to reviewers, I haven't seen a review on any black Wotofo gear.

As for the big chunk in the middle, I actually kinda like it since it directs the air flow and vapor straight up, smooth and flavorful. Works wonderful on drippers.

Back to the Troll, I'm going to keep an eye out on the insulator but so far no issues.

But again, stay away from any Black gear from Wotofo, it's garbage.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You stated that you heat them up to white which is why I went WTF! Even extended orange/red isn't good. You should always just pulse.

Anyway Wotofo has a history of the Black gear having serious quality issues. That's why IMO they only send out the SS to reviewers, I haven't seen a review on any black Wotofo gear.

As for the big chunk in the middle, I actually kinda like it since it directs the air flow and vapor straight up, smooth and flavorful. Works wonderful on drippers.

Back to the Troll, I'm going to keep an eye out on the insulator but so far no issues.

But again, stay away from any Black gear from Wotofo, it's garbage.

well shit, if i said that i mispoke for sure. i do red for SS and dull orange to orange (but not bright orange or white) for kanthal. in the video fagan glowed it way more then i do and his looks much worse off then mine for sure. fagan got the black one in the video. thats what i have. next time i'll get a SS one cause my threading sucks, my post screw sucks and my insulator is somewhat melted lol so i'm sure you can understand me not being happy with this. and it's not like i have 1 or 2 attys and am new to vaping. I've used probably close to 100 attys in my lifetime. i have about 80 currently. i've been vaping for about 5 years and never once had an issue like this. sure i can make mistakes sometimes. i'm only human so i'm open to the idea that i could be doing something wrong, but if i was the factor i'd have a lot more issues then i currently have.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well shit, if i said that i mispoke for sure. i do red for SS and dull orange to orange (but not bright orange or white) for kanthal. in the video fagan glowed it way more then i do and his looks much worse off then mine for sure. fagan got the black one in the video. thats what i have. next time i'll get a SS one cause my threading sucks, my post screw sucks and my insulator is somewhat melted lol so i'm sure you can understand me not being happy with this. and it's not like i have 1 or 2 attys and am new to vaping. I've used probably close to 100 attys in my lifetime. i have about 80 currently. i've been vaping for about 5 years and never once had an issue like this. sure i can make mistakes sometimes. i'm only human so i'm open to the idea that i could be doing something wrong, but if i was the factor i'd have a lot more issues then i currently have.
Yeah the shit he has with the Black is all Wotofo's issues with their Black versions. I'd say it's safe to say that the Black versions come from a completely different factory for the quality is so vastly different. The shit threads, etc is what you get from the black.

I also use 2.5mm coils and mount close to the air for flavor. So no issues with melting.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah the shit he has with the Black is all Wotofo's issues with their Black versions. I'd say it's safe to say that the Black versions come from a completely different factory for the quality is so vastly different. The shit threads, etc is what you get from the black.

I also use 2.5mm coils and mount close to the air for flavor. So no issues with melting.

next build I'll go smaller with 2.5mm and use my preferred wire. it'll be my 4th and final build for the troll before review so i always save the best for last.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are some of the RTA,s I own an use now after down sizing and selling half my tanks off that i tended not to use as much
So in no Order these ones i still use daily

Aromamizer 25,mm x 2
Supreme plus , x5 Supreme lite, x1
Sherman, x2
Mod Farther x1
Billow v3 plus , x1
Boreas x1 2 Decks
Ijoy EXo RTA ,(single coil deck,x 1 fantastic
Taifun gtv3 fantastic x3
Taifun gt v3 mini x3
Taifun gt v2 superb Flavours ,
Kayfun v5 x3
Kayfun v5 mini x 1
Ijoy Limitless Classic Edition x 2 great all round tank / rda
Ijoy exo Sub S , x 1 ( awaiting rba)
Velocity v2 x 1 rdta ivego
Genesis MK II x1
Apepal Rdta x1
Bellus RTA x2

An thats after i have down sized a lot ,
I'm awaiting some others like Shenray SRv4 RTA ,

Most are side Airflow tanks for Flavours.

But i do like the bottom Airflow for the single coil RTA

Single coil ones tend to provide better Flavours on bottom airflow over dual coil bottom airflow but thats subjective to each user
And i use the Taifun gtv3 to test out my diy mixes single simple SS coil seems to work well and allows quick easy swapping out the builds , it is restrictive but can be opened up too
Even down sized on my mods Recently ,
But there's always a new one I tend to want still waiting for SX mini G class in SS brown leather to come available
Then also have one im planning on making N1 250 DNA , lipo , 30mm VT , an possibly use a xt60 to swap out to dual 20700 will see , I know ive also missed a lot out , but there stuck in a tub somewhere ,

Then i have a load of rda,s and Sqounker fed RDA,s
Also thinking of the
goon rdta style ,live my goon in sqounker mode ,
Just got the Skywalker an that is a decent rda cheap an can fit some fat wires too ,
Got single staple staggered in it at moment its a beast
a4ba005138c05760992b90134a112bd9.jpg
75aaf442a779276baa018babeefed7e7.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As for hyped, yep I still say two of the most overhyped attys are the Limitless Plus and Tsunami ;)

I second that on the limitless plus, I snapped the damn long 510 pin on mine trying to unscrew the deck from the shotty threads.. 2 weeks old too..

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a lot of great tanks that dont get much hype or YouTube reviews , well not in English language any ways , im liking the single coil all SS built RTA tanks ,
Thats on all the German an Russian youtube Reviewers seem to like , an not promoted by the big popular USA Reviewers an such ,
Only Paul B reviews these types occasionally ,
Taifuns GT v3 ,
Shenray SRV4,
Vapour Giant v4 mini , hurricane v2,
Hussar RTA,
Squape x Dream.
Kayfun v5 an so on ,
all good capacity single Coil ,
solid built SS rta tanks ,
Expencive quality built and also some very good quality clones out at fraction of the original costs ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Picked up a aromamizer v2 yesterday flavor isn't too bad now I'm just trying to figure out how to get a warmer vape out of it in TC.

Might be the way I stuck my coils in it. Never ran a vertical build before but I saw some YouTube vids on it and figured I'd give it a shot. Maybe if I space them like the rest of my builds it might do something tho usually that cools the vape down I've always found.

7 wraps of 26ga SS316L
085daad7182522d616d372562eaf26b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors