Problems with nitecore d4

Discussion in 'Chargers' started by Nickk, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Nickk

Nickk Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Been using this charger for about 1.5 years. Everything has been fine until recently when I went ahead and put my batteries in the slots and the LCD screen didn't come on(it should). I unplugged the charger and took my batteries out and tried to the process all over again on another outlet and the same thing happened. So I decided to test it out a bit and put it in the middle of my garage. I was needing to do stuff outside anyways so I grabbed a fire extinguisher and waited. Gave it 2 hours. I noticed the charger itself was hot and the batteries did not charge.

tldr; d4 charger lcd not working and not charging batteries

I don't think my warranty works anymore too which sucks. Any ideas?

2. BigNasty

BigNasty Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    After I got my 6 bay and tested my freshly charged from a nitecore I only keep the nitecore as failure back up since it was not actually charging the batteries full.

3. MWorthington

MWorthington Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, it sounds like time for a new charger. I've got the D2 and when I order new batteries next month I'm buying this charger right here

My Nitecore works good electrically, but the slides are really stiff and I'm always leery that I'm gonna tear a battery wrap trying to put 'em in the charger.

Nickk likes this.
  4. BigNasty

BigNasty Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    LOVE the 2 amp quick charge feature on my luc 6

MWorthington likes this.
  5. Nickk

Nickk Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I might pick up that charger myself. Have you seen the new nitecore sc4? Thing looks really good. I honestly think the 1.5 years of my original nitecore was money well spent. The fact that it could of caused a fire is a bit unsettling but I guess that's a risk everyone here takes when charging up their mini bundles of power.

MWorthington likes this.
  6. MWorthington

MWorthington Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    The SC4 does look good. I didn't price it but it appears to do a lot of stuff. A lot of people use the Efest charger and like them better than the Nitecores. I was warned before I bought my D2 that the springs in the slides were strong and I might have trouble inserting the batteries with one hand and I didn't listen so this time I'm going with my friends recommendations. ;)

I think a year and a half out of a charger is pretty good with all the circuitry inside. Around here we have a lot of power surges so anything like that is prone getting blown up. :)

Anytime you deal with high current devices there's a certain amount of risk involved. It's not a lot different than plugging in a toaster or an electric heater. You did good by keeping an eye on it.

gopher_byrd likes this.