Become a Patron!

Procedure with new batts?

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do I fully charge them before use ? I have heard that I should use until they need a charge and also have been told to charge ASAP before use ....

Thanks in advance

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What type of batteries do you have, I always charge my batteries when they run low or are out of power.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
New batteries are not fully charged. Fully charging them is the first thing I do with them. ;)

So yeah, get them fully charged initially, and then charge them when they need it.

Last edited:

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never run a new battery without charging it first. Not quite sure if it's necessary. I just don't like having a battery that's only at 3.7v. I usually stop using mine at around 3.6-3.5 volts anyway so I wouldn't get much use out of them.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On top of all of that don't drain the cells too low their first few cycles. Take them down to about 3.8v, not the cut off your device has set at 3.3v or whatever it is. Charge them easy for the first couple of cycles, if its a 18650, don't push 1a, use 0.5a. After a couple charges go ahead and use 0.5a or 1a.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I think that a lot of these questions are left over from the old Ni-Cad battery days.

Those suckers you had to fully charge immediately before using them.

Me, I just put them in the charger and use the 1.0 amp setting for 18650 batteries over 2000 mAh hour.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1a is less than a 1c charge rate, a high dischare 18650 should have no problems handling that charge rate.
I haven't seen the end of life in a 18650 yet, had a couple that fired for an extended amount of time because of a mod that had a lock ring... that wasn't locked and I tossed them. For less than $10, I'm not going to continue to use a cell that's been put through 150° temps or whatever the atomizer heated the tube and subsequently battery up to. That's just user error.

I have a LG that started it's life about a year ago with a 18 IR on my meter and is now at 21. I got a fake vtc5 a few months ago that started at 20 and is now at 24 so I think the cell quality makes a big difference in the life of the cell, not so much way under powering it in the charge cycle. That's my opinion at least.

A lot of the manufacturers will say a 1a max, one I think says 0.75a max. But all lithium cell manufacturers will give the max rate a lower value than it can take to cover their own ass. Like smc batteries for rc cars states 2c max charge rate but if you talk with the owner he will tell you that it can handle much more, 4c+ and not do any harm but the quality of the charge will not be as good as a 2c charge... not as much punch.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My statement had nothing to do with what they can safely handle. It had to do with what stresses the cell the least.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, I agree, a lower charge or discharge rate will always be kinder to the cell.
I'm just saying that I've never seen the death of a cell other than doing something stupid like not locking a mod and setting in a cup holder while on a 20 min drive down the freeway (what's that custard smell? Shit! My stingray!). I haven't seen any unexpected rise in IR over the life of the cell, it will go up a little over time from cycling, no way to avoid that. The fake sony rose sharply, crappy cell. Real sonys, LG and 25r have remained low IR.
If I have a couple hrs to charge from 3.6v to 4.2v at a 0.5a rate, I will. If I don't, like if I'm leaving in an hour and don't want to leave the charger unattended or just need the cell to use, 1a.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I hear you. I guess my point was charge them low and slow when possible. Since they're not part of an expensive battery pack and individually they're fairly affordable, they don't need to be treated like eggs. When you can though, be easy on them. A low, slow charge is easy on them.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Meh, I always buy in pairs. Check em on the meter to see if there is anything wonky like one is showing 3.8 and the other 3.2 or something. If they check out I use them right away and charge when depleted.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks fellas... I went to illumn.com for some vtc4 batts on a recommendation from a member here... If they are legit... I'm getting more while I can....

Also found an old laptop at work- still NIB... 8 years old though... Got four vtc5 batts out of that puppy- I really doubt they will charge but gonna give them a chance

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to have another option, this is the best place I've found (pointed out on VU). Probably is wholesale price as they say, super cheap and also cheap shipping on top of it.
http://www.imrbatteries.com/

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lithium cells are best stored long term at 3.5 -.3.6 volts. If you don't use them right away, no problem. Just charge them up before use. For the first charge I use 250Mah (1/4 amp), then .5 amp for the next couple charges, then 1 amp afterwards.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Current li-ion chemistries are pretty resilient, nothing like the old ni-cad's that needed all kinds of special stuff when they were new. Just charge them when you get them and use them normally and you'll be fine. Lower charge and discharge rates will extend the battery life, and not going below 3V. Outside of that don't worry about it.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So the Vtc4 batts that I found in an old laptop at work won't even charge properly anymore...

Shame... What a waste of good batts. They sat for 8 years NIB...

VU Sponsors