Become a Patron!

Proper way to dispose of a battery?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys! I hear a lot of different answers from everywhere on the internet, but what do you think is the safest way to get rid of some old used up 18650s that no longer serve a purpose?

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Check with your local government,
Here in OKC the city has facilities that we take them to for proper disposals of.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check with your local government,
Here in OKC the city has facilities that we take them to for proper disposals of.
I wonder how they do it here in New Mexico! I'll have to check into that. separating and then throwing them in the normal trash is probably the worst idea I assume?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys! I hear a lot of different answers from everywhere on the internet, but what do you think is the safest way to get rid of some old used up 18650s that no longer serve a purpose?

Wrap electrical tape end to end long ways around the batteries, place in plastic bag, and take them to your local disposal center, if in the US, Best Buy has bins as you walk in the front door for all types of lithium battery drop off.

Psyc

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Best Buy! you can turn your batteries in to them for disposal. I am not sure if you have to wrap them first.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
I wonder how they do it here in New Mexico! I'll have to check into that. separating and then throwing them in the normal trash is probably the worst idea I assume?

I too live in NM (Albuquerque) and I just took some old batteries to Home Depot for disposal. They have a box set up right inside the door for battery and tool battery packs.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I too live in NM (Albuquerque) and I just took some old batteries to Home Depot for disposal. They have a box set up right inside the door for battery and tool battery packs.
I live in Albuquerque as well! Didn't think I'd ever meet someone from here on the forums! I'll check out home depot, there's one closer to me than there is a best buy! Thanks! :D

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wrap them end to end in tape real good and take them to Home Depot, Lowes, etc for their battery/cell phone recycle dump.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Over here in the UK we have recycling boxes in most supermarkets, you can just drop your batteries in those.

I will admit I haven't always done this though and a few may have been thrown away by family members the 'normal' way after being wrapped in electrical tape by me.

VU Sponsors