Become a Patron!

ProTank II - How to tell a real from a fake

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok here you go. Lots of counterfeits and clones out there. And I have a perfect example for you. I bought two ProTank II's from a seller that a friend also bought. He got his the other day and said one leaked. I asked him if they were authentic. So I had him check the box and there was no authentication bar code on the box. First red flag. Well I got mine today. No bar code on the box either. Fortunately I have authentic ones so I could compare. So I can let everyone know how to spot a fake.

Look at the pic below.

20140508_152211~01.jpg

• First obvious difference is the authentic one has the KangerTech logo on the bottom part of the tank. The fake does not.
  • Second the knurling on the base is a different pattern
  • Third the fake is just a tiny bit shorter than the authentic.
  • Also the threading on the fake is much more rough than the authentic. The authentic base unscrews smoothly. The fake is kind of rough.

This story does have a happy ending. Both my friend and I contacted the seller. He was not aware they were not authentic. We were both refunded the purchase price and the vendor changed their listing to not made by "Kangertech".

If you did not know what to look for you may never even know you have a fake.

20140508_152320~01.jpg

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just purchased one of these today from a Local Vape Shop and after seeing this, I purchased a fake. This was the first time I went to this store annd I was really pleased with the conversation I had with this gentleman that was behind the counter. I left out of there with 3 bottles of juice and a "fake" Protank 2. I was very excited about going from a Mini Protank 2 to the Protank 2 but am now disappointed.

How has your fakes held up for you G?

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just purchased one of these today from a Local Vape Shop and after seeing this, I purchased a fake. This was the first time I went to this store annd I was really pleased with the conversation I had with this gentleman that was behind the counter. I left out of there with 3 bottles of juice and a "fake" Protank 2. I was very excited about going from a Mini Protank 2 to the Protank 2 but am now disappointed.

How has your fakes held up for you G?

Never used them. Sold them to someone with full disclosure that they were not authentic.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The threading on the clones used to be a lot thinner. Kanger's threading was then at first and would snap easily. Then they offered new bases with a thicker 510

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been using my clone since I got it yesterday and went through two different juices and so far it is holding up. Paid $10.99 for the fake tank. Did I get taken to the cleaners as well?

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Been using my clone since I got it yesterday and went through two different juices and so far it is holding up. Paid $10.99 for the fake tank. Did I get taken to the cleaners as well?

Want the truth or want me to sugarcoat it?? LOL

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Want the truth or want me to sugarcoat it?? LOL

I would not want you to diddle daddle being that I am new to this. Dont want to be taken again if I can avoid it. Vaping is a new thing in these times and there are going to be a lot of As*^#@!es that will take advantage of people like me.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that price is ok for a clone from a b&m. It's roughly the same as china pricing. Is there a problem with it? If not then I'd be happy although I always suggest getting an airflow control base for protanks now as they're really good.

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that price is ok for a clone from a b&m. It's roughly the same as china pricing. Is there a problem with it? If not then I'd be happy although I always suggest getting an airflow control base for protanks now as they're really good.

Nothing wrong with it thus far. I am expecting my new Vamo either today or Monday and I have a Aerotank that will sit on it. The Protank 2 will sit on my eGo batteries for when I do my out and abouting.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing wrong with it thus far. I am expecting my new Vamo either today or Monday and I have a Aerotank that will sit on it. The Protank 2 will sit on my eGo batteries for when I do my out and abouting.
Well clones have come a long way over the last year or two. It might even be an improvement in kanger's own one lol. I think you'll like the aero

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

You can get the fakes on Fasttech for around 5-6 bucks.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well clones have come a long way over the last year or two. It might even be an improvement in kanger's own one lol. I think you'll like the aero

I have 2 Nautilus tanks, 1 counterfeit, the other genuine. Get this, the counterfeit has a THICKER glass tank!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 2 Nautilus tanks, 1 counterfeit, the other genuine. Get this, the counterfeit has a THICKER glass tank!
That's right. I have a couple myself. Just to say, thicker is not always stronger. But I did also pick up plenty of spare glass while there. They've taken it down now. Can't find it on fasttech anymore

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess this is a counter-point....sometimes, you can have a vendor who sells clones honestly. ;)

I really enjoy the 5ml Vision Victory BCC for no-fuss vaping. But, when I'd broken mine, I bought a couple of clones that are nearly identical.
For $4 each shipped from a great US vendor...I win. ;-)

Genuine
vision-clearomizer-victory-bcc-5ml.jpg

Clone pic
DiscountVapers.com_ADV_Clear__53817.1406222120.1280.1280.jpg

The Vision Victory is the only PT I've used, and I love 'em. This clone, unlike most, is just as good as the original.

The clones: http://www.discountvapers.com/search.php?search_query=adv&x=0&y=0

Oh, BTW: Eric's dire warnings about not using the stock PT head that they come with is well-founded. It was close on ohms, but no matter what I did to it, it had a burnt taste...ptooie!

Popped in one of DV's 1.5 (mine metered at 1.7..no biggie) ohms PT heads and good times are mine...for half the price.

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really enjoy the 5ml Vision Victory BCC for no-fuss vaping. But, when I'd broken mine, I bought a couple of clones that are nearly identical.
For $4 each shipped from a great US vendor...I win. ;-)

Genuine
vision-clearomizer-victory-bcc-5ml.jpg

Clone pic
DiscountVapers.com_ADV_Clear__53817.1406222120.1280.1280.jpg

The Vision Victory is the only PT I've used, and I love 'em. This clone, unlike most, is just as good as the original.

The clones: http://www.discountvapers.com/search.php?search_query=adv&x=0&y=0
Is discountvapers in the china?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I cant stand B&M hipster hangouts these days.If I wanted to explain all my tattoos to a kid in a button up flannel that has not earned the copycat tattoos he has on his arm, I would join a boy band. For the youngsters out there, when you see a man with a demons face tattooed on his hands, it means, do not get to close, his hands are the devils tools...
As for getting a fake, I almost got hit for the Giant tank i got, I refused to take the one he unpackaged for me...I just stared at him quietly, by the time I left, I had a name brand tank and ots of free samples of juice to try out in my nice new shiny tank...Im done with brick and mortar mom and pop shops...they can suck it.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope. Not in China. I did say "US vendor"... ;)

In fact, Eric has as a business partner Lord Davon and his gal to help him and his wife out.

http://www.discountvapers.com/moving/

They are second to none IMO. Been dealing with them since 2012.
Oh yes. So you did. I don't know why I thought china. I'm sure there was a problem with their site earlier this year? It was offline or wouldn't open or got redirected I swear

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I cant stand B&M hipster hangouts these days.If I wanted to explain all my tattoos to a kid in a button up flannel that has not earned the copycat tattoos he has on his arm, I would join a boy band. For the youngsters out there, when you see a man with a demons face tattooed on his hands, it means, do not get to close, his hands are the devils tools...
As for getting a fake, I almost got hit for the Giant tank i got, I refused to take the one he unpackaged for me...I just stared at him quietly, by the time I left, I had a name brand tank and ots of free samples of juice to try out in my nice new shiny tank...Im done with brick and mortar mom and pop shops...they can suck it.

Heh, I get the same stuff from my local B/M's. The bearded hipsters look at the tattoo of the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on my forearm and ask what I did in the Army. Makes me want to bitch slap them.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
lol, sorry zamazam!

VU Sponsors